Autopsy Autopsy vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. We like all teams make mistakes, unlike most we aren't sitting on our opponents the second we do. There is a reason Spicer stayed in the team so long even with his weaknesses on display.
Yep. Wardlaw hunts. You can see the difference - the others “play off”
and we get cut up by handball. Hawthorn played us differently this year. First time they played keepings off by foot in tassie - and destroyed us. This time, they were handball happy
Around the contest to release and that destroyed us. Bulldogs play like that and we cant counter it. We couldnt counter either style. Good coaching by them and execution. Terrible by us both times. We cant adjust.

WE CANT TACKLE FOR SH!T!!!!!!!!!!

What's worse is the other teams know we are weak tacklers and are now exploiting this fact.
I am seriously wondering if L. McDonald has built up a false sense of his own abilities from training with the North Melbourne team. In practice he can run through opposition, break tackles and get handballs away with ease, as the opponents who he's up against aren't pinning the arms or bringing him to ground. In real matches, he plays as if he's capable of breaking the tackle and in the majority of cases he cannot.

I am seriously wondering if L. McDonald has built up a false sense of his own abilities from training with the North Melbourne team. In practice he can run through opposition, break tackles and get handballs away with ease, as the opponents who he's up against aren't pinning the arms or bringing him to ground. In real matches, he plays as if he's capable of breaking the tackle and in the majority of cases he cannot.
Honestly think it's the opposite. It's the kind of desperate trick that an old dog pulls when they've run out of options and confidence. I don't think he does this because he thinks he can break free, I think he does this because it is the equivalent of the long kick down the line - take a hit and don't be accused of not trying.

I was really stunned yesterday to see on several occasions that North players were often unaware of where the ball was and some were clearly surprised when the ball was kicked to them, especially the forwards. In a few instances it looked like the north player was standing still, sometimes not even facing the position of the ball and they only realised that they were in the contest when their hawthorn opponent switched on. There were a lot of very reactive North players on the field yesterday.

Honestly think it's the opposite. It's the kind of desperate trick that an old dog pulls when they've run out of options and confidence. I don't think he does this because he thinks he can break free, I think he does this because it is the equivalent of the long kick down the line - take a hit and don't be accused of not trying.
I get your point and it makes sense but geez I hope it isn't what's happening Shint. If a captain of the team is taking a hit to appear to be trying and if that's acceptable to the match committee then we're in a seriously sad state.

We need to have players that can run. Plain and simple. Another 5 Goater types needed to even try and play the modern game plans.
Total km covered 257km to the Hawks, 252km for North. Running at top speed 47km Hawks, 41 kms for North. That is a massive difference in top speed running and pretty much what my eye ball were telling me at the ground.
Note: these stats are from memory. I can't get my AFL app to verify the information this morning.
I don't disagree, but not sure those stats tell the story you're looking for. We had three players injured, with Georgy coming off after quarter time. Add those boys back and the distance covered would have been basically the same.

I was really stunned yesterday to see on several occasions that North players were often unaware of where the ball was and some were clearly surprised when the ball was kicked to them, especially the forwards. In a few instances it looked like the north player was standing still, sometimes not even facing the position of the ball and they only realised that they were in the contest when their hawthorn opponent switched on. There were a lot of very reactive North players on the field yesterday.

Our forward setup wouldn't look out of place at a school lunch break. It is basically a variant of playing "up in a pack" where no one moves and just tries and jumps, although they have little ability to do so. Worse is we have no one on the ground so it makes it doubly stupid.

I get your point and it makes sense but geez I hope it isn't what's happening Shint. If a captain of the team is taking a hit to appear to be trying and if that's acceptable to the match committee then we're in a seriously sad state.
I might be wrong, just how it looks to me... but it happens a few times every game now. That to me is a player using it as a crutch.

Yeah there had been improvement in the forward set up pre bye - clearing space for Larkey, lowering of eyes going in. Players like Phillips and Powell help with the latter.

But legit yesterday there would be no movement and talls and smalls would cluster in a pocket for the long bomb, all fly and Hawthorn run it out with no pressure. Literally like a game of markers up at primary school. They’re either awfully coached or not following instructions.

We’re back in Noble land where there are so many problems all over the ground and they all affect each other that you can’t even begin to unravel it. If we got 22 warm bodies giving four quarters of effort it would look so much better, even with the awful structures.

Nup. I really rate Sonja but I don't want this. Heard it all before. Stick together...blah blah blah. Work hard...blah blah. Everyone's hurting...blah blah blah. Stay positive...blah blah blah. Just empty words. Why stay positive? Everyone should be bloody hurting! They DON'T work hard. Too late for stick together - the supporters have rightly had enough.

This team is literally killing my love of football. Talk's cheap. Put up or shut up.

Nup. I really rate Sonja but I don't want this. Heard it all before. Stick together...blah blah blah. Work hard...blah blah. Everyone's hurting...blah blah blah. Stay positive...blah blah blah. Just empty words. Why stay positive? Everyone should be bloody hurting! They DON'T work hard. Too late for stick together - the supporters have rightly had enough.

This team is literally killing my love of football. Talk's cheap. Put up or shut up.
It's hard to imagine what you want her to say to be fair. At least she has acknowledged what we are all feeling.

Unfortunately one of the challenges of being an ordinary supporter at times like this is you only get fed certain information by the club. Which is probably as it should be.

There would be a huge amount going on behind the scenes that we're not privvy to and can't be shared. All we can do is watch the games unfold and join the dots as best we can.

I agree with an earlier poster who suggested that Clarko would likely not have wanted to blow up everything when he first came in and always planned to stagger the changes over multiple seasons. Eg for all we know G Brown could already have his papers stamped along with Rawlings and the fitness teams.

List Management!!!!!

We have blokes that were playing today that wouldn't even be on a list at other other decent clubs, let alone getting a game.

They are:
CCJ - Forget him, he might be big but geez he is useless - Delist
Lachy Young - Theres a reason he never got a look in for 3 years at the dogs - Delist
Aidan Corr - was OK today but if he never left GWS would he still be on their list? Doubtful
Jackson Archer and Cooper Harvey - Yes they're young, (and i hope they do make it) but if they weren't father son, would any other club have recruited them? Highly doubtful
Darcy Tucker - Not the future, depth at best, probably wouldn't be on Freos list if he stayed for another year
Xerri - Kidding ourselves if we think he will be a gun ruckman or serviceable at best

Its disheartening to watch this week after week!! 4 years now and counting of thinking " how much will we lose by today" or " i hope we can be at least competitive for a half"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My love of football died when the AFL killed it. I only like NMFC due to sentiment and nostalgia but have hated football for best part of a decade. This club has been destroyed partly due to incompetence but also due to the AFL making the game unbearable with their bullshit rule changes, MRO and “concussion protocols”. Its beyond a joke.

Last edited:
It's hard to imagine what you want her to say to be fair. At least she has acknowledged what we are all feeling.

Unfortunately one of the challenges of being an ordinary supporter at times like this is you only get fed certain information by the club. Which is probably as it should be.

There would be a huge amount going on behind the scenes that we're not privvy to and can't be shared. All we can do is watch the games unfold and join the dots as best we can.

I agree with an earlier poster who suggested that Clarko would likely not have wanted to blow up everything when he first came in and always planned to stagger the changes over multiple seasons. Eg for all we know G Brown could already have his papers stamped along with Rawlings and the fitness teams.
Agree, at that level the potting of the underperformers needs to be done one on one by their effective line manager, i suspect (hope) Viney has already given notice to gavin brown, and hope that the coaching group has put blokes like CCJ on notice. brob being the damage done signing him up for a long contract and trading pick 19 has already been done, as much as i never want to see him running round in the ones again i dont blame him for getting the contract, same scenario with Sugar, LMac and Marns. that $h1ts on brady, luffy and co.

My love of football died when the AFL killed it. I only like NMFC due to sentiment and nostalgia but have hated football for best part of a decade. This club has been destroyed partly due to incompetence but also due to the AFL making the game unbearable

I should clarify. I love football - I've umpired over 500 games in the EFNL and plan to do many more before I'm done.

But I find it very hard to watch any AFL on TV and only enjoy going to games of the highest quality. I get easily bored with mediocre games. I hardly watch any of the shows or read much. My connection is mainly through being part of North Melbourne, but days like yesterday make it very hard. I feel like I'm on the wrong end of a toxic relationship - I want to stay, but for at least a while I need to go.

Our forward setup wouldn't look out of place at a school lunch break. It is basically a variant of playing "up in a pack" where no one moves and just tries and jumps, although they have little ability to do so. Worse is we have no one on the ground so it makes it doubly stupid.
From the first minutes of the game you could see our boys not working hard enough. Coming out of the backline the movement was non-existent. How are we having to bomb the ball long down the line in the first minutes of the game!?

I think there is some secrete sect brainwashing the other players into staying at the club and driving down trainning and playing standards. Like a corrupt union orchestrating maximum pay for minimum output for its members.

How can three of our tallest players in Xerri, CCJ & Larkey combine for 4 marks, with none of those contested. Absolutely zero aerial presence from our 'big' blokes.
Partly because the team is incapable of kicking to the advantage of a player on the move. I would hate to be a leading target with the kicks served up by this team.

I don't have enough fingers to count the number of times there was leading space in front of a target and the player with the ball didn't have the ability to place the ball for them to run onto and mark.

Maybe I expect too much, after all we had multiple senior players who can't even keep the ball in the field of play when kicking under almost no pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back