Autopsy Autopsy vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Luke McDonald's game...

I might be going against the trend on this one and I can see why on the surface that some here didn't like his game yesterday, but going by the after-game press conference, Clarko rates Luke Breust extremely highly. I don't think anyone here would argue that he is currently their most dangerous forward (although Moore is closing in).

I think it was clear yesterday that the skipper had the #1 defensively-minded job for our team. Others were given the role of intercepting & rebounding (EG: Logue zoned off on Fergus Greene and allowed him 2 easy goals).

End result: Breust had 8 disposals, 0 tackles, 0 goals, 2 behinds... From 56 Inside 50s.

Even ignoring Luke's 20 disposals (with 4 clangers - Cunners had 3 from 21, Sheezel had 6 from 26), he successfully did his job.

Re: Luke McDonald's game...

I might be going against the trend on this one and I can see why on the surface that some here didn't like his game yesterday, but going by the after-game press conference, Clarko rates Luke Breust extremely highly. I don't think anyone here would argue that he is currently their most dangerous forward (although Moore is closing in).

I think it was clear yesterday that the skipper had the #1 defensively-minded job for our team. Others were given the role of intercepting & rebounding (EG: Logue zoned off on Fergus Greene and allowed him 2 easy goals).

End result: Breust had 8 disposals, 0 tackles, 0 goals, 2 behinds.

Even ignoring Luke's 20 disposals (with 4 clangers - Cunners had 3 from 21, Sheezel had 6 from 26), he successfully did his job.
Fair enough take. IMO that's the type of role he does well, it's arguably not his fault that there wasn't the support around him to pass of the attacking play.

Totally agree. I feel a bit flat about it, just sucks to see us be so uncompetitive for so much of the match but I do laugh at the blokes that have six players that should never play again that said they wouldn't drop anyone from our side last week. We knew going into this that it was going to take time and arrived a little too early this season. We'll be up and down in 2023 but that's a lot better than the down and down we got used to under Noble.
like who? name then?

Understand that and you think he’ll be back?

He’s not out with a tight hammy he’s out cause he’s a dill with massive issues.

Yeah he’s shat on us and yes would walk into our side.
Nobody knows if he will be back.

But he's a player on our list, taking up a big chunk of the salary cap, that we are missing from our best 22 side.

The question is which players are we missing from our best 22?

LDU, Jy, McKay, Thomas

Still disappointed in the result, but more so by the first half work rate. Glad we had a crack in the second half but by then it was too late.

Hopefully Clarko and his assistants can turn yesterday into a valuable learning experience.

We’re on a journey and we’re going to hit a few potholes along the way. Yesterday was one.

Nobody knows if he will be back.

But he's a player on our list, taking up a big chunk of the salary cap, that we are missing from our best 22 side.

The question is which players are we missing from our best 22?

LDU, Jy, McKay, Thomas

June 26 will be the one year anniversary of his last AFL game. He currently isn't at the club or training.

I doubt he'll be back is my point.

Swap TT for Wardlaw, even without playing a game Wardlaw is best 22, as tragic as that is.

Still disappointed in the result, but more so by the first half work rate. Glad we had a crack in the second half but by then it was too late.

Hopefully Clarko and his assistants can turn yesterday into a valuable learning experience.

We’re on a journey and we’re going to hit a few potholes along the way. Yesterday was one.

One thing that I was still scratching my head over was the game against the Dogs, the first half on Saturday explained that result.

Still so much to like about us in 23.

1. Sheezel
2.Comben
3. Cunners return
4.Logue
5.Zurhaar
6.Bergman
7.Goater
8. Wardlaw ( VFL)
9.Larkey- top of the table in the side that sits 17th for inside 50's.
10. our percentage of 94.00 Our % last season is what football folk judged us on.

Yep, getting consistency into the group will take time.

Even the team who last year made a meteoric rise up the ladder from 17th to 3rd and are now flag favourites, lost 5 from their first 9 games including one to the Eagles. And they weren't coming from the depths we've plumbed.

Expecting us to hit our stride in three weeks was fanciful. Every game is losable for this list - as proven in the two wins when we nearly lost both from winnable positions. And when LDU, Jy and Buckets are scratched from the list, even more so. Patience is required, and the wins have to be celebrated as they won't be commonplace yet.

Disappointed we lost yesterday, but not surprised.

Last edited:
like who? name then?

Frank, footy folk work backward it is much safer that way.

In a world of fairies and rainbows, these guys are all available and fit
1 LDU
2 Simpkin
3 Xerri
4 George
5 Wardlaw
6 Thomas ( I'll roll my own eyes- as i think he's cooked)
7 McKay
8 CCJ

Using the team yesterday as a starting point, how many changes to that side?

Considering these guys would still play, due in part to it being a development year and some being bought over for a reason.

1 Logue
2 McDonald
3 Corr
4 Powell
5 Goater
6 Bergman
7 Larkey
8 Zurhaar
9 Curtis
10 Shiels
11 Tucker
12 Cunners
13 JZ
14 Sheezel
16 Greenwood
17 Howe

Those left hanging

1 Goldy
2 Stephenson
3 Scott
4 Taylor
5 Phillips
6 Turner

Not suggesting all six wouldn't get a game:)

Everyone... chill...

We are off 2 wooden spoons are are 2-1. Even the BEST teams have off days, and some of the best can't play without ONE major star.

It was a game that exposed our depth, to which we knew we had one.

Exposed our fitness after a Perth game, to which we knew we had none (also is it unheard of to travel the week after travelling to Perth?)

It's a game hawthorn had a lot more invested in to win then north with the clarko factor.

Yes we were poor, shithouse even. But there were still positives which couldn't be said last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a feeling we would lose this game and said so in the previous weeks changes thread.

Our first two wins had the potential for us to get ahead of ourselves. Not so much the win over West Coast, because they were only marginally better than us last year and it was our home game. But the win away against Freo, touted as a team to possibly challenge for the flag, was against all expectations. And for a relatively young and inexperienced team it was not too hard to think that they might just think they are better than they actually are.

Then on top of that, we had our second road trip in a row against Hawthorn at their home away from home, after they had two absolute shockers and everyone gave them a touch up as to how bad they are. They were bound to come out and make a statement.

Add to that the absence of Jy and LDU, two of our best three players along with Cunners and in my view all of those factors made a loss yesterday a very likely outcome. Losing LDU before the first bounce, surely threw the game plan into some early confusion.

There was one big positive though and that was how we fought back in the third and early part of the last quarter and had Powell's long range shot gone through for a goal, unbelievably we would have been in front. Who knows what might have happened from there if it had have been a goal? Last year we would never have fought back like that even against a team like us in Hawthorn.

Very disappointing yesterday no doubt but certainly not unexpected. What will be key now is how we regroup and perform against Carlton, Brisbane and the Suns. On paper they look like losses but if we can be competitive and push a couple of them hard, rather than capitulate too easily, it will show we are on the improve. It doesn't get any easier after that with games against Melbourne and St. Kilda, then the grudge match against Port Adelaide at Blundstone.

As a team we moved 277km against West Coast, 279km against Freo and then just 267km versus Hawthorn. We had no one running above 14km for this game. Whether it was tiredness from 2 hot games plus the Freo trip and another flight or not being up for the game, no side wins games with that lack of running. Not AFL standard by a long shot on any ground.

Other sides have moved 290km to 310km on different grounds this round. We are in for a tough season unless our workrate/running improves.

Screenshot_20230402-113710.jpg

Screenshot_20230402_113621_AFL.jpg Screenshot_20230402-113558.jpg

As a team we moved 277km against West Coast, 279km against Freo and then just 267km versus Hawthorn. We had no one running above 14km for this game. Whether it was tiredness from 2 hot games plus the Freo trip and another flight or not being up for the game, no side wins games with that lack of running. Not AFL standard by a long shot on any ground.

Other sides have moved 290km to 310km on different grounds this round. We are in for a tough season unless our workrate/running improves.

View attachment 1647327

View attachment 1647329View attachment 1647330
But Larkey didn't lead :p

Frank, footy folk work backward it is much safer that way.

In a world of fairies and rainbows, these guys are all available and fit
1 LDU
2 Simpkin
3 Xerri
4 George
5 Wardlaw
6 Thomas ( I'll roll my own eyes- as i think he's cooked)
7 McKay
8 CCJ

Using the team yesterday as a starting point, how many changes to that side?

Considering these guys would still play, due in part to it being a development year and some being bought over for a reason.

1 Logue
2 McDonald
3 Corr
4 Powell
5 Goater
6 Bergman
7 Larkey
8 Zurhaar
9 Curtis
10 Shiels
11 Tucker
12 Cunners
13 JZ
14 Sheezel
16 Greenwood
17 Howe

Those left hanging

1 Goldy
2 Stephenson
3 Scott
4 Taylor
5 Phillips
6 Turner

Not suggesting all six wouldn't get a game:)
When all of those guys are back (and we hopefully add one or two ready contributors with our picks, plus a MSD addition and hopefully at least one player in trade week) we'll be in the unfamiliar position of dropping players who legitimately deserve a game.

Nah man I’m not cranky we got beat, heck I had the last 3 year trash-hit as we got beat by a poor side. My mind wandered to another very early pick.

I’m not being anything but honest. We need to get Wardlaw, Simpkin , George and of course LDU back in our side. Then two first rounders next year.

Which players do you think will make way?

Yeah, I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

At the end of the day, given all the circumstances, I’m more than happy to give the team a pass for yesterday. In fact, the “learnings” out of that for some of our younger guys may well far outweigh the impact of the actual loss.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nah man I’m not cranky we got beat, heck I had the last 3 year trash-hit as we got beat by a poor side. My mind wandered to another very early pick.

I’m not being anything but honest. We need to get Wardlaw, Simpkin , George and of course LDU back in our side. Then two first rounders next year.

Which players do you think will make way?

Might be easier to pick the blokes who won’t make way.

Ah well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back