Autopsy Autopsy vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

We need more speed in the forward line to close down the easy exits that the Hawks were able to generate.

I am not sure how Spicer has been going this year, but he did look like he was more physical at the contest today. Also not sure whom you would drop to fit him in if he was to play.

Ok, after cooling down and reflecting, I think there was a bit more to this game than what we expected.

We expected the Hawks to use the corridor at every opportunity taking the risky kick and hoping they would overcook for a turnover. We had the zone setup so that we could punish in the event the ball flew past the target as we had the number ready to run forward once the turnover happened. The problem was that the Hawks didn't use the corridor all the time but flicked the ball around the outer wings and opened up the play making space inside F50 once our players had to push wide. It was a completely different Hawthorn as they kept moving the ball swiftly and methodically without much pressure as we couldn't react quickly enough to close the space. Just as we all thought, the Hawks were coming hard at us with everything they had. They played their grand final and put the foot on the pedal at will. They made some short kicks along the D50 then went long to a leading target at half forward, followed by a final kick into the centre of the 50 that lead to a mark inside 50. It was pretty much exposing our lack of defensive run when we wanted the corridor turnover.

Clarkson was outcoached until he had to make adjustments (it was too late by then) and clearly, he has taught the apprentice too well. Hawks have never been this slick before and it completely caught us off guard. Once the Hawks ran out of gas, it was our turn to comeback although it was gonna be tough after chasing all day. Still, to comeback and make it difficult for the team so desperate to get the media off their backs, well at least we showed some glimpses. We didn't even get that under Noble at all last year.

Players that were suspect:
  • Taylor. Just not good enough for long enough. Last year, I accepted the flash quarter or two but he has to go to another level or it is gonna be too late.
  • Howe. Not sure where he fits in the team and although I think he has been better than what his player thread suggests, not sure if we can continue with him in the side. Just reminds me of a Brad Scott built player.
  • Sleevo. In these sorts of games, it's crucial to put your stamp on the game. Still young, but I am waiting for those glimpses to become full game impact. Need more than just a few goals or 20 possies. It's about becoming a professional-reliable superstar.
  • Powell. Kills me to name him and obviously he ain't ready to take the keys alone in the midfield, but the opportunity today went begging. He'll learn from that.
  • Philips. Naming him purely because he ain't fit. Either have him as sub or put in the VFL for a bit.
  • Larkey. Needs to use his body more. We're not slick enough to get it to him quick in a 1v1 or lead up pattern. The ball will have weight on the kick and he needs to be better than today.
  • Greenwood. First bad game of the season and he knows. Reckon he just got overwhelmed by the Hawks midfield dominance at times as it just didn't go right for him. He will get going again.
  • Lmac. Wasn't his worst but wasn't his best either. I want to see him show more leadership and direction. It's all good when we're winning, but take a look at Shiels and see what he does.
  • PC. Didn't really do much today. Expected from a young player.
  • Goater. Had very little impact but we must keep playing him. Will do him good for his experience.
Players that did ok or kept at it:
  • JZ. Did some nice things again and used the ball well. Got some defensive hard ball gets and competed well in the contests. If he lost any it was because he would've been overwhelmed by the slick Hawks ball movement with little pressure. Not his fault.
  • Logue. Great game today. What a recruit he has been. General.
  • Corr. Tried his absolute best to compete and get a fist in. Did well enough.
  • Turner. Tried to keep the pressure up in the contests and Hawks transition but had little support until the team lifted too little too late. Gotta help him lads!!
  • Cam. Thought he was good in the middle and provided some spark up forward. Impact was nullified by our dreadful first half.
  • Comben. Continues to impress and his goal kicking is getting slightly better each week. It will happen!
  • Tucker. Bloke came on and had 6 disposals plus 1 goal. Game was over anyway but did something.
  • Shiels. A bit less impact today but he is integral to keeping the young guys protected and instructed. Becomes a crucial leader.
  • Cheez. Only bloke with 25 disposals or more for us. Did well to keep the ball moving for us. Unfortunately, his teammates let him down.
  • Scott. Up and down game but he did link up and provide something for us to use up. His impact is dictated by how we're playing. If we keep bombing it long and not running for him, what's the point?
  • Bergman. Thought he was still his composed self but had those fumbles when the Hawks were all over him. Big learning curve
  • Goldy. Battled and provided an outlet when Hawks were all over us. Gave us some chance to match in the middle but it wasn't to be.
  • Cunners. Had a good game battling the Hawthorn midfield that was well on top. Was essentially on his own.
We were off by a mile and still managed to get close but this was still a very bad loss. Hopefully its the wake up call for us as we prepare to face Carlton. They won't be as forgiving for our mistake to show up at HT. Need to be switched on and competitive. We got beaten badly in the middle and couldn't get our hands on the ball. If we don't bring the pressure against Carlton, we're in big trouble. Hopefully LDU and Simpkin return with BOGs because we are desperate for some outstanding work in the middle whilst our young players develop. LDU's absence was absolutely a detriment. Couldn't keep the Hawks mids as accountable as we would've liked them to be. It completely shifted the mindset.

Last edited:
Sucky day. Hawks wanted it more and managed to move the ball thru the corridor at times with very little resistance.

A few lads who had an opportunity to show something given the absent names like Taylor, Powell, LMac (sole capt) and unfortunately no one really stepped up.

Sucks that we’re missing literally 3 of our best 5-6 players today, would’ve been great seeing them all out there.

I hope we move on pretty quickly because this was a shizen game of footy.

Will Day is going to become a helluva player, Hawks have got a gem there

There worth to us are ....
Ghosts Youre Wrong GIF by CBS

New Cum 🤣🤣🤣🤣, try newcombe.

Mate you dont get to play the under dog excuse here. Hawks are younger than the Roos and has less games per player.

Were very close to be on par with each other, this was a winnable game for your Roos.

The Hawks were also without Lewis and Wingard.
Yeh, we saw what mckay did to lewis last year, has lewis recovered from that yet?

We fell for the two card trick this week. In the first two weeks the Hawks tried to play aggressively through the corridor and we set up to protect it. Today because we gave them the boundary they just chipped it down the wing until they were forward of centre and could launch an attack.

The worrying thing was that we never adjusted and continued to let them work it forward uncontested.

Either bad coaching or players that aren’t mature enough to switch it up during a game.
Annoying that we didn't just go man on man for 15 mins and turn it around. Their first half tactics were so easy to see, and so effective at breaking our zone. If we'd locked down for just a brief period we would have forced them to change up and wouldn't been in with a chance.

Nah man I’m not cranky we got beat, heck I had the last 3 year trash-hit as we got beat by a poor side. My mind wandered to another very early pick.

I’m not being anything but honest. We need to get Wardlaw, Simpkin , George and of course LDU back in our side. Then two first rounders next year.

Which players do you think will make way?
It's a Melbourne Cup field. There is about fifteen horses that could win the race!

I’m not all fazed by this result. Boys would have learnt way more from this than if we had belted them, and this year is all about learning.

To go from Perth and then down to Tassie would be bloody hard for the young guys.

Chom look great in the first quarter dragging Sicily up the ground but then we just let him do what he wanted.

Now the real test comes. Put up a contest against a top 4 side and we know we’re well on track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were so disjointed as a team. No cohesion, everything was an effort.

Turner keeps getting a game is a concern. He's there for his pressure but laid one tackle. Needs to be dropped permanently.

Paul Curtis needs to pull his finger out. Playing like a millionaire. Same with Larkey, refusing to do the basics and looking for cheap goals.

Will Phillips at pick 3. Okaaaay. Vanilla and we could have got someone similar in the 2nd or 3rd round. Passing on Logan Mac was plain dumb.

The concerning thing is we are not a young side.

I think what is really depressing is just the the absolute relentless cycle of Hopes up, favoritism, must win and we do not turn up
This was the ongoing criticism of the Scott era
Every time we looked like breaking out and becoming a top team in an important game we would choke
I mostly blamed the players
Plenty mostly blamed the coach

This was a critical game at this point of development Getting back to a goal was good but that was humiliating for Clarko and us supporters

I’m not all fazed by this result. Boys would have learnt way more from this than if we had belted them, and this year is all about learning.

To go from Perth and then down to Tassie would be bloody hard for the young guys.

Chom look great in the first quarter dragging Sicily up the ground but then we just let him do what he wanted.

Now the real test comes. Put up a contest against a top 4 side and we know we’re well on track.
Totally agree. I feel a bit flat about it, just sucks to see us be so uncompetitive for so much of the match but I do laugh at the blokes that have six players that should never play again that said they wouldn't drop anyone from our side last week. We knew going into this that it was going to take time and arrived a little too early this season. We'll be up and down in 2023 but that's a lot better than the down and down we got used to under Noble.

I don't want to sound like I'm not disappointed, because we definitely could've won this game, but the sky isn't falling on our heads here.

To put it in perspective, we just flew back from Perth after our second straight less than 1 goal win, both games played in very tough conditions. Missing our top 2 in the BnF and our top KPD.

And yet we still almost ran over the top of a Hawks team that was on cruise control since half time last week. We are still on the right track, and this Hawthorn team isn't as awful as the media have been playing up all week.

Having said that, there's still some concerns.

- CT was terrible today, just looks exhausted and when he can't pressure or launch for grabs he's woeful.

- WillPhill needs to build his fitness base up, I don't think the sub works for him, get him in the 2's to play full games and build his tank.

- A number of the younger lads like Goater, Bergman and PC look spent. I can see a couple of enforced rests coming in the next few weeks.
Kind of where I'm at, good post. Goater & Bergman in particular - that's a lot of raw players on a similar line. They're getting physically used to AFL football, learning in a backline that is also figuring stuff out and both are extremely raw in games played. It's a lot to ask of the two of them. Bit of a balance between pumping games into them and taking it easy. I think Tucker coming back into availability (and taking his chance) should mean some breathing room to rotate where needed.

Pretty measured take from Clarko, probably tells you how important any single win or loss is in the scheme of things at the moment. We're thirsty as f*ck for wins after a few seasons of tripe but it will still take 1-2 seasons for them to have the new football departments imprint over the team.

Spot on. we could have used his bulk and brawn around the ball, where we were getting smashed. At worst he could have put the clamps on Day or Newcombe.

Unless he was injured?
I assume he was struggling a bit physically, would be the main reason to make that change.

He was good today.

I wasn't at the ground, but that's a stretch for mine. He's a good enough role player / utility with creative use around him, but he struggles to pick his way through the game with his disposal at times.

Last edited:
Totally agree. I feel a bit flat about it, just sucks to see us be so uncompetitive for so much of the match but I do laugh at the blokes that have six players that should never play again that said they wouldn't drop anyone from our side last week. We knew going into this that it was going to take time and arrived a little too early this season. We'll be up and down in 2023 but that's a lot better than the down and down we got used to under Noble.
Yep, getting consistency into the group will take time.

I think what is really depressing is just the the absolute relentless cycle of Hopes up, favoritism, must win and we do not turn up
This was the ongoing criticism of the Scott era
Every time we looked like breaking out and becoming a top team in an important game we would choke
I mostly blamed the players
Plenty mostly blamed the coach

This was a critical game at this point of development Getting back to a goal was good but that was humiliating for Clarko and us supporters
The problem is that the players that failed under those expectations are still the players leading the club.

Funny you say that. When watching it live I was wondering whether we were about to see the first double suspension for the same incident - it meets all the criteria. Arms held, unable to protect himself, head straight into the ground. Based on what we've seen previously it should be a suspension (presumably for both of them), the exact reason the rule is there, being big is not an excuse to not take due care with a player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back