Autopsy Autopsy vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the most reassuring thing for me is I am still convinced we're on the right track with Clarko. Although the loss looked pretty bad, we still did look alright and had some good passages that meant we can play our game in the heat of pressure.

As the players (young high draft picks especially) gain more experience, we will be better at playing our style regardless of the way our opposition is playing. It takes time to instill confidence and belief to play great nearly every week and it ain't going to happen overnight. We're still going to have to be patient with quite a few players due to injury, illness and just straight up not playing them in their natural position. Our player management hasn't really been all that flash the last two years either so that has set us back a bit too. Some of our young guns should have more experience but don't unfortunately.

Might be easier to pick the blokes who won’t make way.

Ah well.

Ya know Micky we're ok for the first time in along time. Good BF folk need to get their head around change and what the list will look like in 2025.

Which is the year we play finals, unless something remarkable happens at years end.

We've got a solid spine now

Ya know Micky we're ok for the first time in along time. Good BF folk need to get their head around change and what the list will look like in 2025.

Which is the year we play finals, unless something remarkable happens at years end.

We've got a solid spine now

When’s the last time we’ve played that bad, yet still been in a position to pinch the game at the end? Normally we’d be 10 goals behind.

It’s going to take a while yet before we can cover losing our best 2 players. You could argue a case our best 3 players.

Watching the mini on fox footy, how many *in throws did these campaigners get away with yesterday? My god!
We got away with a few too but they were ridiculous. Funnily enough the first one I noticed for us was Shiels.

Bloody Hawthorn!!!

When’s the last time we’ve played that bad, yet still been in a position to pinch the game at the end? Normally we’d be 10 goals behind.

It’s going to take a while yet before we can cover losing our best 2 players. You could argue a case our best 3 players.
I reckon we were shell shocked early.

Losing LDU would have dented the confidence of guys like Powell and WiPhi, but also the other young players. imagine playing with a guy that good in your side? He'd make you walk taller the way hard nuts can, just cos he's sooo good. Then minutes before the game he's out with a shock injury.

I'd say it rattled the younger guys in the side and they took a while to adjust.

Watching the mini on fox footy, how many *in throws did these campaigners get away with yesterday? My god!

You know what, the way football is being umpired these days with the merest hint of a fist coming into contact with the ball being deemed acceptable as a handpass, I can't wait until we begin exploiting this lax interpretation via G. Wardlaw.

I think the most reassuring thing for me is I am still convinced we're on the right track with Clarko. Although the loss looked pretty bad, we still did look alright and had some good passages that meant we can play our game in the heat of pressure.

As the players (young high draft picks especially) gain more experience, we will be better at playing our style regardless of the way our opposition is playing. It takes time to instill confidence and belief to play great nearly every week and it ain't going to happen overnight. We're still going to have to be patient with quite a few players due to injury, illness and just straight up not playing them in their natural position. Our player management hasn't really been all that flash the last two years either so that has set us back a bit too. Some of our young guns should have more experience but don't unfortunately.

One of our worst efforts half for years with one of the lowest tackle counts we’ve had. We gave hawks free range to nearly get double our uncontested marks.

I like we turned it around but that first half mentally we were absolutely shot. It was really poor.

We will turn it around next week though

I think the most reassuring thing for me is I am still convinced we're on the right track with Clarko
It’s the third round of clarkos first season with the team after the list he inherited finished 17th, 18th and 18th in the last 3 years. I have zero concerns at this stage. There is a huge amount of work to be done and games like yesterday are going to happen.
We will learn more from that game than we would have from the two previous close wins imo.

I'm sure it's been mentioned ITT already, but we let Sicily take 18 marks. That is ridiculous. We needed to do more to make him accountable. He is their best player, their rock down there and sets up many of their forward attacks. That's either a coaching error on our side, or a player error if they couldn't execute. Cost us big time though.

This was such a North Melbourne weekend.
We’ve been the talk of the competition all week, 2-0 including a win in Perth; smashed the doubters; LDU rightly spoken about as being almost the best in the league lately.

What happens?

We go down to Launceston.
LDU withdraws with a broken toenail.
We lose to the only team that we thought would be even worse than us this year.
In front of like 15 people, with only Hans Moleman cheering for us.

Way to go North. You all knew it would happen. Barracking for this club is like winning $10k on Keno and then falling down the stairs and breaking your neck on the way to collect.
Such a feel good end to the fortnight 🙌🏼

We got away with a few too but they were ridiculous. Funnily enough the first one I noticed for us was Shiels.

Bloody Hawthorn!!!

Not just how game. It seems to me that the “shovel” pass has been fully integrated and accepted by the AFL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m not understanding what appears to be broad-based disappointment with Will’s game. I was in no way disappointed in his game - given the circumstances. I’m very bullish. Same with Powell, who endured a well-timed reality check yesterday. They will both be guns, in my view.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently you can just reach one handed out and drop it into the arms of a team mate too.
We are playing with four umpires. The pool was already drained when they went to three and it seems that the addition of number four has them scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of capability. It's like they know the rules but they don't know the game. They allow throws that are faintly disguised as hand passes yet they penalise a bloke 50m because he flaps his arms a bit when a free appeared to be missed (Harry McKay was tackled and failed to even swing a boot at the ball - incorrect disposal). They paid HTB against Log when he was tackled, tripped, dived into the ground and chicken winged (first instinct may have been HTB but that should have been reversed and it ought to have been reported on the field). The reality is the umpires are usually fitness freaks, marathon runners or people of that ilk. Mostly they are narcissistic, egotistic, self interested w*nkers who enjoy the trip of being in the spotlight in control of a big match.

Back in the 80s and 90s both my wife and I used to work with AFL umpires and we'd occasionally sit in the reserved area at Waverley with them. I never got the impression that they were impartial - in fact they would barrack as badly as anybody. The 85 elimination final against Carlton sticks in my mind more than any other - they were 100% against North and were giving it to us for almost the entire match. That is, until the magic happened!!!

Anyway, I have not trusted any umps since that day - even the ones I worked with were dubious with respect to their work (apart from one who was a decent bloke and he even told me how much the Geesh hated Carey and North).

Last edited:
You know what, the way football is being umpired these days with the merest hint of a fist coming into contact with the ball being deemed acceptable as a handpass, I can't wait until we begin exploiting this lax interpretation via G. Wardlaw.
Handballing is an art. It was a definite skill gap. Its been nerfed into oblivion and I dont like it

I needed some time to recover from that one (Port and Essendon losing helped) and I'll go back and read through the autopsy later in the week.

I think my biggest immediate takeway is that what we saw in the first two weeks showed that our deficiencies as a side were being covered by a dominant midfield. LDU is one of the best players in the competition and hopefully after this week I stop reading as much Simpkin slander.

Without the two of them our biggest strength as a side was taken away. We still struggle with ball movement, but winning the clearances by 15 each week made up for it and allowed us to take control of the territory battle. Yesterday Hawthorn were getting the ball first and we looked completely different as a side.

We'll build from it, but there's an underlying problem with our outside options and forwards who can win the ball in the half-forward or wing.

I needed some time to recover from that one (Port and Essendon losing helped) and I'll go back and read through the autopsy later in the week.

I think my biggest immediate takeway is that what we saw in the first two weeks showed that our deficiencies as a side were being covered by a dominant midfield. LDU is one of the best players in the competition and hopefully after this week I stop reading as much Simpkin slander.

Without the two of them our biggest strength as a side was taken away. We still struggle with ball movement, but winning the clearances by 15 each week made up for it and allowed us to take control of the territory battle. Yesterday Hawthorn were getting the ball first and we looked completely different as a side.

We'll build from it, but there's an underlying problem with our outside options and forwards who can win the ball in the half-forward or wing.
Sheezel will make the difference once he swings to half forward. We need to fix half back. We can’t be wasting Sheez down there. All good this year or half year, whatever, the ultimate goal is to have him forward of centre

Sheezel will make the difference once he swings to half forward. We need to fix half back. We can’t be wasting Sheez down there. All good this year or half year, whatever the ultimate goal is to have him forward of centre
It’s such a deficiency he is not actually wasted down there. I agree with you point, need to find someone to free him up.

It's honestly a masterstroke of coaching by AL Clarkson. Making sure Hawthorn get enough points so that Port finish last and we get pick 1. Absolute genius!
Never thought of that, brilliant observation and one along with Port's loss makes sense now.

I think our percentage is a good indicator 3 rounds in. 94.4 a bit away from breaking even but miles away from 60s-70s we were at. 8 Teams have worse than us so far. If we can keep the percentage in the 80's and 90's for the year that's a decent improvement IMO. Early in the season and all that, but it will probably be a better indicator than wins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back