Autopsy Autopsy vs Carlton & the Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Well this was the sort of game we lost on the regular (by bad margins too) even with one of the most experienced teams we've ever had under Brad. So to be close with a young midfield still fine-tuning the grooves to go full steam ahead, I think is a great sign.

This is probably for the list management thread but we still need a genuine small forward inside 50. Preferably one that is mature enough with enough experience to avoid that inconsistency we can't afford to have. If we're really going to change things quickly in a few years, this is how it has to be done. Bring in more mature talent and try to get decent steak knives if possible. Or, if we're patient, we can have a look at the MSD or national draft but just not sure we should spend high currency on small forwards unless they can move up the ground and get more involved.

Then, there is the backline... oh boy. Something we thought we had covered for years alluva sudden didn't look so potent after the mass exodus. We really need to address this as quickly as possible. Has to be priority even with the recruitment of Dawson whom at the moment is just looking like the absolute worst case glass breaker at best. (Even though I rate him higher than the impressions we're getting from selection)

So another key back. Preferably with enough athleticism to kill the contest and intercept too.

Another small forward. Preferably with remarkable pace and goal sense especially when the ball gets out the back. It seemed like the only players that could do this in the last 20 years were Boomer, Wells and LT.

Depth in other areas to place constant pressure on players. No depth, no flag.

Last edited:
Well this was the sort of game we lost on the regular even with one of the most experienced teams we've ever had under Brad. So to do it with a young midfield still fine-tuning the grooves to go full steam ahead, I think is a great sign.

This is probably for the list management thread but we still need a genuine small forward inside 50. Preferably one that is mature enough with enough experience to avoid that inconsistency we can't afford to have. If we're really going to change things quickly in a few years, this is how it has to be done. Bring in more mature talent and try to get decent steak knives if possible. Or, if we're patient, we can have a look at the MSD or national draft but just not sure we should spend high currency on small forwards unless they can move up the ground and get more involved.

Then, there is the backline... oh boy. Something we thought we had covered for years alluva sudden didn't look so potent after the mass exodus. We really need to address this as quickly as possible. Has to be priority even with the recruitment of Dawson whom at the moment is just looking like the absolute worst case glass breaker at best. (Even though I rate him higher than the impressions we're getting from selection)

So another key back. Preferably with enough athleticism to kill the contest and intercept too.

Another small forward. Preferably with remarkable pace and goal sense especially when the ball gets out the back. It seemed like the only players that could do this in the last 20 years were Boomer, Wells and LT.

Depth in other areas to place constant pressure on players. No depth, no flag.
It would be great to target a Bailey Dale 3rd defender type. We had a glut of these types of tough, smart players in the 90s to complement MM, Horse, Arch and McCartney.

They are - hence, why I'm content (as opposed to happy) with Friday's game.

How good is another question.
A scrappy draw with Richmond - who I rate as very, very just OK.
A narrow win against the Cats - whose hangover could actually be literal
A narrow win against GWS - meh (and with significant umpire help)
A so-so win against North - undermanned in all the wrong places (and with significant umpire help).

They should play finals, Walsh back will help. He's one of two outstanding onballers and they have very good goal-to-goal line, no obvious weaknesses and are in the right age bracket. But based on what I've seen so far they'll need to improve and have some luck to go deep into the finals.
They are ok…..

what struck out is we need multiple avenues to goal, how McKay and Curnow spread out after halftime with one taking marks up on the wing. Basically being able to kick to the other. Was a lesson for Larkey and Comben, the more selflessly they work the easier it is for the other to score. They both ended up with bags because of it.
They do work for each other a bit. Chom especially. He put on blocks and works up the ground a bit. But yeah good point. Altho there's also that we didn't have anyone to really go with them. Its heaps harder for those two to do what they did so easily if we have Ben and Log available. But its what W80 and Ben brown did for us very effectively. Worked hard up the ground to provide an avenue to goal for their teammates.

Our transition is pox and needs to be fixed too. I don't mind the long kicks but we need other options too.

For all the value of Sheeze on the backline I am starting to think we need to play him forward ... like he played up until the pre season.

What's the point of him kicking it out of the backline repeatedly if we don't benefit?

Wouldn't we be better using our forward entries to maximum value, which is what he seemed to do in his junior career.

But at the same time there is a clear benefit to him playing where he does. He's been taking kickouts and frequently we'll move the ball all the inside 50 from them.

I think Clarko's system might cover Sheeze not being there but really there's no way we know yet cos for his entire coaching career at the club Clarko has had Harry on the backline. LOL. It'll be intersting if TT comes back.

Thats the thing, once they got that buffer which was largely umpire assisted their confidence in taking risk went up. You're right in that it wasn't just umpiring, but who knows if they still would've played that way if it were closer.
It helps when McKay and Curnow are working so well together too.

Coaches votes

North Melbourne v Carlton​

9 Harry McKay (CARL)
9 Charlie Curnow (CARL)
3 Mitch McGovern (CARL)
3 Harry Sheezel (NMFC)
2 Cameron Zurhaar (NMFC)
2 Zac Fisher (CARL)
1 Jacob Weitering (CARL)
1 Luke Davies-Uniacke (NMFC)

50/50 free could pick out 100 of these in every game

That is not even remotely close to 50/50! Clearly took possession and dropped it in the tackle. Dreadful decision.

There was another sequence where at a contest about 70 out from the Carlton goal Cripps pushes LDU square in the back and out of the contest onto the ground. Clear infringement but no whistle. The ball then gets delivered into the Carlton forward line where Curnow was competing with Corr. Curnow has a big handful of Corr's jumper but is given a free directly in front.

If you don't think Carlton had a very good run with the umpires in the game then you are just full of s**t!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches votes

North Melbourne v Carlton​

9 Harry McKay (CARL)
9 Charlie Curnow (CARL)
3 Mitch McGovern (CARL)
3 Harry Sheezel (NMFC)
2 Cameron Zurhaar (NMFC)
2 Zac Fisher (CARL)
1 Jacob Weitering (CARL)
1 Luke Davies-Uniacke (NMFC)
I’d say Voss has given Carlton all his votes and Clarko the north 3,2,1

Based on that assumption Scott gave North 3 players votes, prob a good reason why this award should mean SFA in the scheme of things

Scott?

I’m more surprised Mick Malthouse gave all his votes to the Blues.

Then, if as much as 20k seats are unsold for the season, condense the members area to something that fits what is sold rather than entire rows and sections filled with 20k opposition supporters at our home game.

We paid for a seats in a North Melbourne members area. Yesterday my ADHD son (who does carry on a bit) was laughed and jeered at by Blues fans. I saw an old bloke take an early exit and razzed all the way as he slowly made his way up the aisle. I had a couple of idiots get right in my face unprovoked and shout "Go Blues!!" as I left on the siren. Whether it's the club, the AFL or the stadium it's not good enough and we paid for better.
hear hear mate

I was amazed that Carlton got away with the holding on LDU throughout the entire game. There must have been at least 6 times I recall where he was a metre or two from the ball and the Carlton player had their arms around his waist. It is becoming the only way to stop him.
Several times he was just pushed or flung out of the contest with no whistle.

Then, if as much as 20k seats are unsold for the season, condense the members area to something that fits what is sold rather than entire rows and sections filled with 20k opposition supporters at our home game.

We paid for a seats in a North Melbourne members area. Yesterday my ADHD son (who does carry on a bit) was laughed and jeered at by Blues fans. I saw an old bloke take an early exit and razzed all the way as he slowly made his way up the aisle. I had a couple of idiots get right in my face unprovoked and shout "Go Blues!!" as I left on the siren. Whether it's the club, the AFL or the stadium it's not good enough and we paid for better.

Unfortunately that’s going to mean members need to change seats. Never goes down well.

I was amazed that Carlton got away with the holding on LDU throughout the entire game. There must have been at least 6 times I recall where he was a metre or two from the ball and the Carlton player had their arms around his waist. It is becoming the only way to stop him.
Well, he still got 5 frees. He just should've had 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Back