Opinion West Coast and Fremantle should have bases in Melbourne

Should we have a facility in Melbourne to reduce traveling?

• (2024) Yes, knocking over the Northern trips makes sense.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, FC Barcelona
I've been having a think about it recently and it makes sense to me so i thought i would crunch some numbers and see how much of a difference it could really make if the Eagles would stay in Melbourne for one month of the football year.

Take into account it would also mean that the purple pansies would have to agree to a similar structure as well so there wouldn't be clashes with playing at home.

Flight distance from Perth to Melbourne is 2,730km so return it's 5,460 kms.
Flight distance from Perth to Tasmania is 2,923km so return it's 5,846 kms
Flight distance from Perth to Sydney is 3,294kms so return it's 6,588 kms
Flight distance from Perth to Brisbane is 3,614kms so return it's 7,288kms
Flight distance from Perth to Adelaide is 2,133kms so return it's 4,266kms

This season we had to travel to

Melbourne 5 times
Tasmania 0 times
Sydney 2 times
Brisbane 1 time
Adelaide 2 times

That's a total of 10 games for 47,764kms.

In comparison with lets say the Hawks who actually do a fair chunk of traveling for a vic club due to playing 4 games in Tasmania a year.

Flight distance from Melbourne to Adelaide is 639km so return its 1,278kms
Flight distance from Melbourne to Sydney is 712km so return it's 1424kms
Flight distance from Melbourne to Brisbane is 1375kms so return its 2750kms
Flight distance from Melbourne to Tasmania is 419kms so return it's 838kms

They traveled to
Perth 1 time
Brisbane 1 time
Sydney 1 time
Adelaide 1 time
Tasmania 4 times

That's a total of 8 games for 14,264kms

So we traveled 33,500kms more than the Hawks had to this year.

Is it any wonder that players don't want to come play in W.A?

I wont go into great lengths about it but here is a report on how air travel greatly impacts athletic performance.

http://www.exercisemed.org/research-blog/the-effects-of-flying-on.html

We have more than enough funds to build a home base in Melbourne and lets be honest, land and property is still equity no matter how you look at it.

If we scheduled a month in melbourne once a year to use as a platform to
Play one game in Brisbane
Play one game in Sydney
Play three games in Melbourne

We would effectively be reducing our travel by 20,622kms.

Over the course of a players ten year career that's 206,220km less he has to travel. The numbers don't lie.

Between July the 17th and August the 13th this year we traveled to Melbourne twice (Carlton, Collingwood) ad Sydney once (GWS) with home games in between against Demons and Fremantle.

We traveled 17,508 kms in just a little over a month.

Now imagine we had a home base in Melbourne and instead of flying home twice we scheduled a game in Brisbane and another in Melbourne.

Instead of traveling

30,256kms for five games

We travel

9,634kms

By doing this we cut our travel down from to 47,764kms to 27,142kms.

Now lets look at time spent in the aircraft

Perth to Melbourne return is 7 and a half hours.
Perth to Brisbane return is 10 hours.
Perth to Sydney is 9 hours and 45 minutes.

Melbourne to Brisbane return is 4 and a half hours.
Melbourne to Sydney return is 3 hours.

We'd only spend in an aircraft for the 5 games proposed above 15 hours compared to 42.5 hours.

It's a huge difference and something we should be looking at and forcing the AFL to accept.

The players would adjust pretty quickly and we would find rehabilitation must easier to manage throughout the course of a season and their careers as a result would be longer.

Because of this we would also attract more talent to play for us.

Build a fortress away from home and reap the rewards.

So......

What does everyone think about this?

We could lose our big home ground advantage a little if we start living part of the season away from home . :huh:

Maybe we dont want to live in Victoria and like the WA isolation and the us against them mentality plus the fans like the interaction and interviews etc during the week , we may lose new fans .

Good idea but there pros and cons for sure and too many for it to happen maybe .Once we have Laithlain Park up and going we will be better placed to compete on other grounds hopefully .

I for one don't like the idea. We could debate in length the data and stats that argue against my opinion, but we'd be here for ages if that was the case.

There is no deny that less flight = better rehab times and longer careers, but these stats don't look at outside sources of influence that really impact a player or playing group. I can't imagine every player is going to be thrilled being away from their family or home for a long period of time. Especially those with young families.

Secondly, the constant switching between training bases would be jarring for the players, as the Melbourne based base would either be an old oval somewhere and therefore disproportionate to anything we play on in AFL, or a specially designed ground proportion wise with a surface not matching the stuff the players are on in games. Hardly the stuff you want to train on regularly.

There are probably thousands of counter arguments that my tired brain can't think of right now. But I think we only have to look at the crows for how to manage travel. I don't know if we or Freo do it, but traveling by redeye seems the better approach post game. Get home sooner and into recovery ASAP at home.

Like a Rebel Base?

latest

What's the obsession with moving to Melbourne lately.

We finished outside the top 4 means we have to travel get over it

If we finished top 4 we would have the advantage

I think more realistic is the idea that West Coast and Freo could own/lease their own plane, fit it out with all sorts of rehab stuff and the players could do lots of the post-game rehab and review on the trip back home.

Apparently WC tried early on in the club's history the staying in Melbourne thing around finals time and it was a spectacular failure, never to be revisited.

I remember writing up a long time ago, good to see Pykey is seeing things similar (not identical) to how i did all those years ago.

I thought i'd bump it again as it has all the km's and times for the air travels.

Granted i was too ambitious expecting players to relocate for a month but could we handle 3 games in two weeks?

Fly to Melbourne on a Friday and play on a Sunday, play the following week in Sydney on a Friday night and then knock over the QLD game on a Saturday.

3 games in 14 days with a 5 day and 6 day breaks up North.

It would bring down the traditional flight km's for these games from 19,276km's to 7810kms.

That's a reduction 11,466kms per year.

It would also reduce our flight travel time for those games from 27hours and 10 minutes to 11hours and 40 minutes

The club can certainly afford it, could we get the players and then the AFL on board?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also miss the hubs and I'm sure the club does too.
We're a younger club now so hubs less of an issue. Also that was a unique circumstance with covid and the unknown. If you know you're going on a 2 week work trip every year you could plan with your family accordingly.

Id actually go one further and say that we should do one up the East Coast road trip and one week long trip and knock off two Melbourne games that's 5 away trips out the way with an added bonus of having more consecutive weeks at home

I like that there’s thinking outside the square. However, I’m not sure about this one.

But we need clever solutions to mitigate the effects of travel. I wonder whether we hit up the AFLPA as the employment conditions for those they represent (the players) are obviously inequitable.

I’d wonder if anyone would have the temerity to say Pendlebury would be at 400 games if he was from WA. So AFLPA, represent all your members not just those with the cosy conditions in Melbourne.

I also miss the hubs and I'm sure the club does too.

We all miss those days.

I actually came to prefer the sound of pre-recorded crowd noise, I still listen to it regularly.

Remember that time Adelaide ran a training drill with 12 players instead of the maximum of 8?

It was a massive slap in the face to everything we’d suffered for - thank god they were publicly shamed for doing that.

We all miss those days.

I actually came to prefer the sound of pre-recorded crowd noise, I still listen to it regularly.

Remember that time Adelaide ran a training drill with 12 players instead of the maximum of 8?

It was a massive slap in the face to everything we’d suffered for - thank god they were publicly shamed for doing that.
Jerry Seinfeld GIF

You don't think 3 games in two weeks is manageable?
Absolutely. That’s not unusual. For example, play Sat, Sat and Sat. All in Melbourne. Or Sun, Sat and Fri. Etc.

Could also play two games in a week in Syd one year. Two in Bris next year.

Might do it in WA school holidays maybe so interested family could join them maybe?

Obviously player input would be important.

Obvious solution is to build a high performance hub in Tongala and base ourselves there for an extended Melbourne swing.
Apparently a very good footballer played with them. His name was Sir Doug Nicholls. 😀

Last edited:
Back