Game Day West Coast Eagles vs Port Adelaide Power

Remove this Banner Ad

FWIW, let's not pretend you steamrolled us with run that final quarter. You had the momentum sure, but it wasn't as if you killed us with your run, it was your transitions that killed us.

And a bit of help from the umps gifting marks to players that never touched the ball until it was gang raped by 40 other players :confused:.

Don't understand the wingard hate in here. Guy is a very good player and I'd love him in our side

Took a very heavy knock from glass but still managed to dust himself off and kick the goal

Don't understand the wingard hate in here. Guy is a very good player and I'd love him in our side

Took a very heavy knock from glass but still managed to dust himself off and kick the goal
I actually think there is more hate to our own players than Wingard, Keys.;) Wingard reminds me a LOT of Monfries, so I'm no fan, but Priddis cops more hate on here.

I actually think there is more hate to our won players than Wingard, Keys.;) Wingard reminds me a LOT of Monfries, so I'm no fan, but Priddis cops more hate on here.

I've quite liked how more fries has played at port so we have divergent opinions there on him and wingard

As to our own players I guess I'm desensitized to it now especially after a loss and especially with priddis. He's a lightning rod for criticism here, win or lose / right or wrong but the coaching staff are going to keep playing him whether we like it it not.

I don't will injury on our own but there's times I wonder if it would be good to see priddis out for a run of 4 or 5 games just to see how are midfield functions without him for an extended period

I actually think there is more hate to our own players than Wingard- Priddis cops more hate on here.

there seems to be priddis hate on all threads at the mo..somehow each thread gets hijacked to a priddis love/hate session...i dont hate him, i'd just love to see him replaced with a better player, who can kick efficiently. simple.

but wingard pulled the funniest faces - kind of sooky/ sulky looks, strange.

I know right? Eagles fans looking a bit like
Screen_shot_2014_04_21_at_2_23_24_PM.png

What on earth is going on with Scooter? Anyone care to explain? He was so influential last year and tackled like no other. Seems like such a different player this year.

What on earth is going on with Scooter? Anyone care to explain? He was so influential last year and tackled like no other. Seems like such a different player this year.

He is playing more defensively. The roles and structures in the middle have changed, its also why Shuey has more centre clearances than Priddis this year (and probably why we are doing better as well).

Last year he was playing as a playmaker. Now he's back playing a stopper. Much better.

Hill and cripps can't be in the team together. We can only afford to carry 1 passenger who gets his cheap goal a game.

I got (understandably I guess) shouted down for suggesting McGinnity in a pure defensive forward role. There was method to the madness. Against Port we did nothing to stop the rebound out of our forward line - which was almost as important to the result as our poor kicking for goal..

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scooter was very good in shutting down Boak. Don't underestimate his importance.

To next week... who will he play on? Murphy or Gibbs?

Murphy. We can use someone else to quell Gibbs. I think Scooter if given the job on Murphy will win that battle, and it's important as Murphy is the only player at Carlton looking like he cares week in week out.

Last year he was playing as a playmaker. Now he's back playing a stopper. Much better.

I got (understandably I guess) shouted down for suggesting McGinnity in a pure defensive forward role. There was method to the madness. Against Port we did nothing to stop the rebound out of our forward line - which was almost as important to the result as our poor kicking for goal..

Not attacking you specifically mate but McGinnnity is not AFL standard and should not be anywhere near our side unless we have noone left. We would be better off playing young guys and developing them than going backwards with McGinnity in the team.

Not attacking you specifically mate but McGinnnity is not AFL standard and should not be anywhere near our side unless we have noone left. We would be better off playing young guys and developing them than going backwards with McGinnity in the team.

On the flip side the mighty west coast eagles side shouldn't BE the development squad its become. Look at Geelong and Hawthorn. Players need to be tearing it up in the lower grades - for years - before they get a run. When they do get a chance they come in and have impact. I'd rather stick with senior players until its apparent theres a developmental issue with a younger and more talented youngster being stifled - then make the move. We've invested far too many developmental games into crap players.

As for McGinnity - yes he's limited - but will do a shut down job in the forward line. He's strong and aggressive and is a good tackler. Thats what was clearly missing against Port. Time and again a dropped mark in the forward line invarably cost us a shot at goal at the other end of the park. We cant afford that to continue. One of Cripps or Hill has to go.

As for McGinnity - yes he's limited - but will do a shut down job in the forward line. He's strong and aggressive and is a good tackler. Thats what was clearly missing against Port. Time and again a dropped mark in the forward line invarably cost us a shot at goal at the other end of the park. We cant afford that to continue. One of Cripps or Hill has to go.
I am no McGinnity hater, you know what you get with him and sometimes that's what you need so you take it. However if you had watched the Geelong game you would not want him in the team again. He was soft, lost out in space and did not apply any pressure or aggression at all. Laid one tackle. I don't think McGinnity would have helped one iota against Port.

Ellis on the field for more than five minutes was probably the difference when it came down to it. Cleaner ball skills/ marking/ goal kicking would have seen us over them despite Ellis' injury. McGinnity offers none of those.

On the flip side the mighty west coast eagles side shouldn't BE the development squad its become. Look at Geelong and Hawthorn. Players need to be tearing it up in the lower grades - for years - before they get a run. When they do get a chance they come in and have impact. I'd rather stick with senior players until its apparent theres a developmental issue with a younger and more talented youngster being stifled - then make the move. We've invested far too many developmental games into crap players.

But he's not a good shut down player, thats the myth that gets peddled by people who think he has mongrel. He gets caught ball watching all the time and often watches his opponent run past him. When he does get the ball he cant hit a target, unless its a Bombers player. ;)
The games changed, we need guys that can use the ball well because of the rolling maul and defensive styles of todays game. McGinnity is not that player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back