2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Have they given up the idea of Culley as a mid? Or is it to gradually build game time in him following the ACL?
I randomly saw Culley in the local library this afternoon. He was looking massive across the shoulders, clearly put in a lot of effort in the gym over the summer. According to the library staff he comes in a fair bit. I wonder if he’s studying for some qualification, or just a book worm. I’ll ask next time.

I randomly saw Culley in the local library this afternoon. He was looking massive across the shoulders, clearly put in a lot of effort in the gym over the summer. According to the library staff he comes in a fair bit. I wonder if he’s studying for some qualification, or just a book worm. I’ll ask next time.

If I saw Culley in the library:

draco i didnt know you could read harry potter GIF

There is absolutely no way on earth Jai Culley walks into a library to read a book for leisure. If he’s in the library it’s because he has to be.

Johnston’s goals were great, but I was really impressed by his defensive work. I reckon he directly set up at least two goals by applying that bit of extra pressure when it looked like east freo were out, but instead forced the turnover.
A classy wingmen with speed,skills and two running ability is just what we need. Just beed him to build his tank I suppose. Won’t mind a sneaky debut soon tho

Jamaine Jones the best AFL-listed Eagle on the ground according to Horsley. Nice to see after some struggles to start the season from him.

Also interesting to hear about Jordyn Baker's game - by the eye he wasn't great (only 8 disposals) but seems like he sacrificed some of his offensive game and did a good job locking down Jed Hagan who kicked 5 the week prior
he played ok, but for mine Ryan was instrumental in the win

80% of the AFL doesn't shepherd anymore, instead they run alongside their teammate with the ball waiting to receive and putting them under pressure.

The Reid from the centre bounce replay from the weekend we've all seen a thousand times; BWilliams could've given him even more space by putting some body on Nankervis, but stands there like a stunned mullet then clicks and gets half a forearm across him instead.

It's quickly becoming a lost art - it doesn't need to be a bone-jarring bump, just get in the way and slow the opposition down.
Could not agree with this more.

I guess teamwork at that level, including blocking for leads is the last piece of the puzzle to work on.

It should be instinctive for quality footballers.

Could not agree with this more.

I guess teamwork at that level, including blocking for leads is the last piece of the puzzle to work on.

It should be instinctive for quality footballers.

Yeah, that effort from big Bailey was very poor. It was just lucky that Harley has the burst speed to get away.

Highlights from the WAFL win

Two things -
1) Looking at the box score throughout we actually fell a decent margin behind (~4 goals) on a couple of occasions so full credit to the lads for hanging in there
2) Ryan charging through the middle and delivering perfectly inside 50 was a sight to behold.

There’s also a bit of an interview post match with Ryan

I thaught Flyin Ryan spoke very well in that interview, he has got so much more confident speaking in front of a camera. Credit to the man.

12 AFL players named in the side this week including Hedwards, Burgiel, Rawlinson and Reid.

One or two (or maybe even three) of Gaff, Johnston and Jones to come in as well, which would have to make it one of the strongest sides we’ve fielded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah i think its the coaches emphasizing the value of providing options rather than letting someone run with the ball. I hate it. its easier to stuff something up the more possessions you make. Its also much better having a quality player with the ball than a bit part player.

I mean, remember Rowan Jones getting in the team and his job was pretty much clearing a path for Judd and Cousins? He was the worst with the ball though, i remember him missing a set shot from goal from like 5 metres out.
How could we forget that shot at goal, its still burnt in my brain.

My boy Harvey Johnston has some tricks and real skill, think we have a genuine AFL footballer with him. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
I thaught Flyin Ryan spoke very well in that interview, he has got so much more confident speaking in front of a camera. Credit to the man.
He's been getting more confident over time. When he was first drafted he barely ever spoke and seemed like he didn't want to. He was the only 2017 draftee not to do a draftee press conference. Even when he accepted the MOTY award he spoke only a few words.

Last edited:
He left this on the Library table, so I wandered over to see what he had been reading:

Nice work!

He heard someone say ‘That Reid is good’ so went to the library to get some for himself. Apologies.

BTW: I reckon Culley must almost be frothing at the mouth having to watch Yeo in beast mode with his two apprentices in Reid and Ginbey.

National reserves comp could supersede the state leagues and still attract state talent because they wouldn't need to be full-time workers and part-time footballers.

AFL to increase total list sizes to 64. Regular and Cat B rookie contracts to fill the 20 new spots.

Cost would be between 1.8m-2m per club, minus player costs of current arrangements. Apparently, the AFL has endless cash to throw at player payments currently.

Cat B could be out of the cap too, so we could buy talent.

The squads would all train together, so no duplication of coaching and football department costs.

If you're blessed with being able to field two squads on a weekend, you can allow the extras to play for their local state league team.

The AFL list rules have created this issue for themselves.

What kind of numpty organisation sets the max list size to be at most 44? You can't even field two teams a week with zero injuries? (22+sub x 2 = 46)

Last edited:
National reserves comp could supersede the state leagues and still attract state talent because they wouldn't need to be full-time workers and part-time footballers.

AFL to increase total list sizes to 64.
Regilar and Cat B rookie contracts to fill the 20 new spots.

Cost would be between 1.8m-2m per club, minus player costs of current arrangements. Apparently the AFL has endless cash to throw at player payments currently.

Cat B could be out of the cap too, so we could buy talent.

The squads would all train together, so no duplication of coaching and football department costs.

If you're blessed with being able to field two squads on a weekend, you can allow the extras to play for their local state league team.

The AFL list rules have created this issue for themselves.

What kind of numpty organisation sets the max list size to be at most 44? You can't even field two teams a week with zero injuries? (22+sub x 2)
Tell him he's dreaming.
Firstly they ain't gonna throw big money for players for AFL reserves .The Afl priority will be improving pay for AflW players rather than AFL reserves players. If AFLW plays it's season in line with the AFL it will take eyes from a reserves comp.
Why would the AFL chip in huge money just because the last four AFL teams join its VFL comp.
It is working ok for Melbourne/Sydney?brisbane teams.
I doubt that many state league players would run to a national reserves comp. How much money would they need to give up a good job. The only clubs complaining seem to be West Coast, Port, and Adelaide.
All Afl clubs have a list of thirty extra players apart from the main list to field a AFL team and a Vfl/Wafl/Sanfl team at the moment
which wouldn't cost that much but putting a extra twenty players on each list will annoy our Afl millionaire players.

All three lining up, one of them on limited minutes maybe, although with so many players back from injury (Ryan, Burgiel, Reid) also just back in that’s asking for trouble.

15 AFL listed players playing must be a Beagles record

All three lining up, one of them on limited minutes maybe, although with so many players back from injury (Ryan, Burgiel, Reid) also just back in that’s asking for trouble.

15 AFL listed players playing must be a Beagles record
15 is the most i have ever heard we have play so i think it would be as well.

Hope the boys go back to back. would be quite some time since we have done that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back