2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure that’s the best example, Gov didn’t play an AFL game for the three years he was at Claremont, he finally debuted midway through 2014 after the alignment with East Perth kicked in.

He didn't play because he was raw, not because playing at claremont stunts your growth

Most of our 2018 premiership side was developed in the same way

Your selling the club short, at the time they actually decided this was best for development.

There won't be any Eagles VFL/ AFL reserve team for the next 25 years, if at all due to traveling teams and players longevity in the game.

Would you be happy with Oscar Allen coming back through the Beagles and having to fly every 2nd week, sitting on a plane?

Not going to happen unless Doc Emmet Brown, is contracted by the Beagles to redesign the Delorean as a bus.

They decided that because other teams did it and a team that did it won a flag…
There was nothing scientific behind it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The WAFL shouldn't be for us to try and 'implement a system', it should be for young players to develop and for dropped players to find form.

"oh we lost by 120 points again but at least Hall got to run the specific running patterns we want him to"

unhinged behaviour

Ideally you’d want a bit of both, you don’t want young players called up, running around looking lost for 80 minutes and getting dropped again.

I think it's more beneficial for a young player to be in a winning and competitive sporting environment, rather than having them play a certain role for a team which has it's pants pulled down each weeks and goes through the motions.

Burgiel can play ruck for the Falcons for all i care, i'm confident he'd get better development of his AFL career doing that than leaving him to flounder at the Beagles.

Ill just sit over here and wait

Gee whiz.

Sounds like Brockman was driving back from Geraldton early Saturday.

Sounds like maybe they did expect him to play in the WAFL on Sunday morning.

Find it weird that no one from the club would have checked in on him after the funeral and had no idea he hadn’t made it back to Perth.

Not sure about this.

Gee whiz.

Sounds like Brockman was driving back from Geraldton early Saturday.

Sounds like maybe they did expect him to play in the WAFL on Sunday morning.

Find it weird that no one from the club would have checked in on him after the funeral and had no idea he hadn’t made it back to Perth.

Not sure about this.
They were clearly on the phone to his agent so id suggest they tried but he wasnt answering so they called his agent, Thats what striked me as weird about the whole thing mainly. Id have brushed it off as nothing if it was just a case of "Oh Tyler said he wasnt up for playing today".

Why would you be ringing a bloke a hour before the game to find out where he is if he isnt meant to play? Just seems odd

Typical cowards response. Now you are in your hole, just stay there and keep threads on topic going forward okay love?

Fine, I’ll let you bask in the glory of having broken the news of Brockman’s car accident, despite not having ever mentioned the words car or accident.

I assume you’ll claim you broke the news of Barnett’s shin splints as well. That’s obviously what you meant by “just scheduled rest”

Where would we be without your Deep Throat like inside info?

You could just be a mature adult and apologise but I guess this is another approach also :)

Because tagging me and crowing that you’re somehow vindicated by breaking news that you didn’t break is super mature. All I can do is try to match that level.

Is it such a bad thing that players get dispersed across all clubs?

In one side, they don’t play together, but on other side, it’s better than getting smacked (how do you learn the system when you are constantly chasing leather?) and there are senior players at all these wafl clubs who would be leaders and pointing out how to improve.

Just putting it out there as I am not sure who developed what out there today.

To be honest, I see the whole debacle of West Coast's desire to control every element of their reserves as the footballing equivalent of Brexit.

The club had the best of all worlds, exposing developing talent to a wider pool of coaching and leadership, that also compelled them to fight for selection against mature bodies in front of eyes that were independent from the club.

It was a method that was cheap, kept travel to a minimum, rapidly identified those that couldn't cut it and fast-tracked those who did - and the club reaped the benefits with sustained success.

That changed in 2014 when the club aligned with East Perth, and degraded further in 2019 when the club got its own stand-alone reserve team in the WAFL.

An argument that could be made that the change has had a significant negative impact upon those draftees requiring many years of additional development before being AFL-ready; whilst at the same time having a team of kids getting belted together makes it much harder to identify which ones should be cut, so list management then also suffers with lesser talent clogging the squad for much longer than it otherwise would.

Many of the problems realised in the senior team over the past three years were planted in the management of the reserves several years prior to that.

Joining a national reserves competition won't address those issues - indeed, the cost and travel involved are likely to compound them and make things even worse.

The club should just swallow its pride, bury whatever hatchet it has with the WAFL, and return to the dispersal model before the option of being able to benefit from it ever again closes entirely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, here’s the guy who reckons I’m obsessed with him and he just tries to ignore it bumping a thread to try to engage me. That’s the best way to ignore someone, I find.
:eyes:
Typical cowards response. Now you are in your hole, just stay there and keep threads on topic going forward okay love?

BANGARANG PETER!!!!

Bangerang on Make a GIF

To be honest, I see the whole debacle of West Coast's desire to control every element of their reserves as the footballing equivalent of Brexit.

The club had the best of all worlds, exposing developing talent to a wider pool of coaching and leadership, that also compelled them to fight for selection against mature bodies in front of eyes that were independent from the club.

It was a method that was cheap, kept travel to a minimum, rapidly identified those that couldn't cut it and fast-tracked those who did - and the club reaped the benefits with sustained success.

That changed in 2014 when the club aligned with East Perth, and degraded further in 2019 when the club got its own stand-alone reserve team in the WAFL.

An argument that could be made that the change has had a significant negative impact upon those draftees requiring many years of additional development before being AFL-ready; whilst at the same time having a team of kids getting belted together makes it much harder to identify which ones should be cut, so list management then also suffers with lesser talent clogging the squad for much longer than it otherwise would.

Many of the problems realised in the senior team over the past three years were planted in the management of the reserves several years prior to that.

Joining a national reserves competition won't address those issues - indeed, the cost and travel involved are likely to compound them and make things even worse.

The club should just swallow its pride, bury whatever hatchet it has with the WAFL, and return to the dispersal model before the option of being able to benefit from it ever again closes entirely.

One of the best posts on this subject. Yet our professional club can’t see it.

I think it's more beneficial for a young player to be in a winning and competitive sporting environment, rather than having them play a certain role for a team which has it's pants pulled down each weeks and goes through the motions.

Burgiel can play ruck for the Falcons for all i care, i'm confident he'd get better development of his AFL career doing that than leaving him to flounder at the Beagles.

No brainer that this would be better but some think it would be the end of the world

Far too much focus on who's "fault" it is. Who gives a crap? What we do now is that the current model DOES NOT WORK

I just don't understand how the most well resourced club in the country can be the only one with this problem, and as a result be the only team better off using the dispersal model as you call it. 17 other clubs have it figured out, why don't we?

I just don't understand how the most well resourced club in the country can be the only one with this problem, and as a result be the only team better off using the dispersal model as you call it. 17 other clubs have it figured out, why don't we?

Adelaide and Port are looking to leave the SANFL and they've got a similar setup to us.

A cogent argument, as is typical.

giphy.gif

Adelaide and Port are looking to leave the SANFL and they've got a similar setup to us.

Not the same though as the AFL own the Port and Crows licences to play in the AFL. The WAFC own the AFL licences so the Eagles and Dockers can play in the AFL. So the relationship with the WAFC is very important where as the relationship with the SANFL for Port and the Crows is no longer required.

I 100% agree but disagree on one aspect

If the issue is systemic and a change of system is required, then why isnt joining a national reserves competition seen as a equal change of system as the dispersal method

You cannot sit here and say "keeping all AFL reserves in 1 team is bad" when literally every other team is doing it. Its our iteration of it thats failed, not the system itself.

In the end the question is. Why has ours failed when 17 others have not? I think if you go to a WAFL game to see us, its not exactly a hidden secret. Leaderless, unprofessional and underresourced garbage is all we have

Im confident a change of system can remove these things. If we change the system we can hopefully

1) Sign some actual mature aged players to join the team
2) SPEND SOME ******* MONEY YOU ******* CHEAP PIECES OF ******* CRAP. No excuses in a new system. Better coaches, better staff, better players is simply a must.
3) Not be hamstrung by rules others are not restricted by. If we have the same rules as everyone else its a different playing field

While I think the system can remove these things, a bit of this falls onto the board. Do they have the courage and guts to make the changes required or do they want to just change songs and fireworks only? Balls now in their court

I 100% agree but disagree on one aspect

If the issue is systemic and a change of system is required, then why isnt joining a national reserves competition seen as a equal change of system as the dispersal method

You cannot sit here and say "keeping all AFL reserves in 1 team is bad" when literally every other team is doing it. Its our iteration of it thats failed, not the system itself.

In the end the question is. Why has ours failed when 17 others have not? I think if you go to a WAFL game to see us, its not exactly a hidden secret. Leaderless, unprofessional and underresourced garbage is all we have

Im confident a change of system can remove these things. If we change the system we can hopefully

1) Sign some actual mature aged players to join the team
2) SPEND SOME ******* MONEY YOU ******* CHEAP PIECES OF ******* CRAP. No excuses in a new system. Better coaches, better staff, better players is simply a must.
3) Not be hamstrung by rules others are not restricted by. If we have the same rules as everyone else its a different playing field

While I think the system can remove these things, a bit of this falls onto the board. Do they have the courage and guts to make the changes required or do they want to just change songs and fireworks only? Balls now in their court

Oh my lord, we might actually agree on something.

Port are a bunch of whingers. they were not happy when their players were dispersed amongst the other SANFL clubs and how they were used. Now not happy with a stand alone team. What is their beef. They are doing ok in AFl .Do they need to dominate the Sanfl to develop players. At the moment Carlton is 20th in the Vfl 21 team comp and it is not stopping them being competitive at Afl level.

Even in a national reserves comp some team will be bottom. It is how you use the resources at your disposal

The Eagles can stay in the Wafl and try to improve some concessions but as i have said elsewhere the Afl stand alone and aligned have less money in their Tpp to run their reserves sides.

This is a comment from a magpies supporter and shows that nothing is much different in the Vfl and Wafl at the moment.

Contracted AFL players in the VFL are paid whatever is in the contract.

VFL-listed players don’t really have match payments specified. They are paid. Anywhere between $300-$5000.
There is a salary cap of $110,000. That’s not particularly high, hence why players often go to other leagues. They’re less intense and pay better.

Last edited:
Port are a bunch of whingers. they were not happy when their players were dispersed amongst the other SANFL clubs and how they were used. Now not happy with a stand alone team. What is their beef. They are doing ok in AFl .Do they need to dominate the Sanfl to develop players. At the moment Carlton is 20th in the Vfl 21 team comp and it is not stopping them being competitive at Afl level.

Even in a national reserves comp some team will be bottom. It is how you use the resources at your disposal

The Eagles can stay in the Wafl and try to improve some concessions but as i have said elsewhere the Afl stand alone and aligned have less money in their Tpp to run their reserves sides.

This is a comment from a magpies supporter and shows that nothing is much different in the Vfl and Wafl at the moment.

Contracted AFL players in the VFL are paid whatever is in the contract.

VFL-listed players don’t really have match payments specified. They are paid. Anywhere between $300-$5000.
There is a salary cap of $110,000. That’s not particularly high, hence why players often go to other leagues. They’re less intense and pay better.
This is the issue. The resources at our disposal go to East Perth, West Perth and all through the competition so they can beat us.

Port Adelaide have the same complaint we do. We are giving these people our money and then fielding inferior teams to those people. Its not very logical.

If you remove West Coast Eagles and Freo Dockers payments from the WAFL system, it doesnt exist. We shouldnt be both the funders of the product and the people getting the lowest version of the product we are producing. Its a little nonsensical in reality.

Answer is simple really. Eagles should get to set the rules and how we use part of the product and this includes access too whoever we want, when we want and to pay the salary we want within the means of the salary cap.

All restictions on us should be removed. West Coast WAFL and West Perth should have absolutely zero difference between them. If they dont agree to that then leave and let West Perth fund their own gender neutral bathrooms instead

Remove this Banner Ad

Back