AFLW West Coast Womens Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of good names here. Bit disappointed not to see Bec Anderson among the under agers, also Jordain Thompson might have gotten a run for the top agers, and very surprised Maddison Dodd's not there for Subiaco. This was written before the shift in the draft year was announced, it looks like, so all the draft references are a year early.

Plus I didn't realise Ella Slocombe was born 2005, so that's another one to watch in the (now) 2024 draft, along with Cleaver, Srhoj, Henry, Anderson, Dodd, Van Den Heever and Grassenis, plus a few more. Maybe it'll be an okay draft after all, even if nothing like as good as the one after it.

Lots of good names here. Bit disappointed not to see Bec Anderson among the under agers, also Jordain Thompson might have gotten a run for the top agers, and very surprised Maddison Dodd's not there for Subiaco. This was written before the shift in the draft year was announced, it looks like, so all the draft references are a year early.

Plus I didn't realise Ella Slocombe was born 2005, so that's another one to watch in the (now) 2024 draft, along with Cleaver, Srhoj, Henry, Anderson, Dodd, Van Den Heever and Grassenis, plus a few more. Maybe it'll be an okay draft after all, even if nothing like as good as the one after it.

Anyone worth watching/looming as an early pick in this year's pseudo-draft? /Is there enough talent to justify cutting any more than minimal spots or is it worth saving most delistings for after next season? (Obviously with no real concrete knowledge of how squad sizes might increase it becomes a bit of a guessing game).

Bullas/Bennett/Cameron the obvious cuts for mine but can see us giving one of those another go at it

Anyone worth watching/looming as an early pick in this year's pseudo-draft? /Is there enough talent to justify cutting any more than minimal spots or is it worth saving most delistings for after next season? (Obviously with no real concrete knowledge of how squad sizes might increase it becomes a bit of a guessing game).

Bullas/Bennett/Cameron the obvious cuts for mine but can see us giving one of those another go at it
My knowledge comes entirely from watching WAFLW games on Streamer. Until the new WAFLW season starts, I'll have no idea what talent's coming through. My feeling is that all the untapped talent in the WAFLW is Under 18, the Above 18s have all been taken and then some.

19+ Yr olds in the WAFLW not playing AFLW are most likely of the same skill set with less fitness as the aforementioned 3 to be delisted

I don’t see this draft in March as particularly successful for clubs with what’s on the lists already, if that makes sense. Think Ash Gnomes/Ella Smith types

S8 will be much of the same, maybe a surprise packet here or there in WA

Very much looking forward to the 24/25 draft classes - Australia wide.

19+ Yr olds in the WAFLW not playing AFLW are most likely of the same skill set with less fitness as the aforementioned 3 to be delisted

I don’t see this draft in March as particularly successful for clubs with what’s on the lists already, if that makes sense. Think Ash Gnomes/Ella Smith types

S8 will be much of the same, maybe a surprise packet here or there in WA

Very much looking forward to the 24/25 draft classes - Australia wide.
I would be happy with even one half decent player out of this draft as I feel like we have already taken the best of the WAFLW in this year's preselection draft....

That being said, we get to see what Lauren Wakfer cam bring to the team, Shanae Davison should be fit and firing, Gooch into the backline and our resident superstar Gibbo. Really excited to see Hartill develop as well as she is an elite level athlete that has only just started playing footy.

Now, if only we had a decent coach to mold all this upcoming talent into a cohesive team.

I wonder if there will be more than 10 games in the next season. I'm really hoping for 12+ but that might be pretty wishful thinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was thinking about squad changes today. If we have to take a minimum three draft picks and if they don’t increase squad size then we’ll have to lose six players, because we had three extra players this season due to the long term injuries to Gooch, Wakfer and Davison.

Hard to see where they’d come from. Bullas, Cameron, Bennett might all be in the gun. Gomes may not be retained. Simmons might be expendable with Wakfer hopefully ready to play as Lakay’s backup.

That’s still one short and as it is, I think some of those will be very unlucky if they get cut.

Was thinking about squad changes today. If we have to take a minimum three draft picks and if they don’t increase squad size then we’ll have to lose six players, because we had three extra players this season due to the long term injuries to Gooch, Wakfer and Davison.

Hard to see where they’d come from. Bullas, Cameron, Bennett might all be in the gun. Gomes may not be retained. Simmons might be expendable with Wakfer hopefully ready to play as Lakay’s backup.

That’s still one short and as it is, I think some of those will be very unlucky if they get cut.
I suggest that the AFL will make up the rules as they go. It is a strength of their decision making

Here is the 33 on our list and by age/position

The red are/were LTI

My expectation is that list sizes will be increased due to
1. AFL will increase salary cap
2. Reflection that a max 20 of games over 15 months was not enough to test some of the youngsters
3. The desire to replicate the men's conditions

Of these - Bennett, Bullas, Cameron, Simmons, Humphries, Petrevski and Gomes are likely to be under the microscope.

1668575225107.png

Yeah surely the three pick minimum shouldn't apply this season considering the draft situation (shouldn't as in common sense wise not in that I actually trust the AFL to do it)

Would be very disappointed if Simmons was cut - she's shown good development and even if Wakfer keeps her out of the side it'd be invaluable to have a tall backup that can play on any line we need her in

Bullas, Cameron, Bennett and Gomes delisted.

Means there’s only five players left from the inaugural squad - Swanson, Hooker, Gibson, Smith and McDonald. (not counting Bartlett who was in the squad, didn’t play, got delisted and then returned a couple of years later)

Bullas, Cameron, Bennett and Gomes delisted.

Means there’s only five players left from the inaugural squad - Swanson, Hooker, Gibson, Smith and McDonald. (not counting Bartlett who was in the squad, didn’t play, got delisted and then returned a couple of years later)
Those 4 were pretty clearly in the bottom

Any news on changes to list size?

Also looking for draft details like minimum takes and cut off

Those 4 were pretty clearly in the bottom

Any news on changes to list size?

Also looking for draft details like minimum takes and cut off
Nothing yet. I’m asking through my WAFLW connects too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back