Game Day Western Bulldogs Vs Richmond R1 NAB Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

A few other observations.

Why the hell didn't Talia play at least 15-20 games last year.

Liked the idea of giving Boyd some time in the ruck (for NAB) as it got him more involved in the game, rather than staying forward and only getting only 5 or 6 touches.

As someone said earlier, Grant mustn't be popular with his team mates as he is constantly ignored when in space. Not the first time I've seen this either. Also not sure what the obsession with his weight is, don't a few extra kgs while make any difference. He's an outside player.

I'm with fronk. I don't like picko as a forward. He was the go to man a few times yesterday and it does not work.
Picken was the go to man a few times because he was the only forward running and providing an option. He's normally a very decent mark but they didn't stick yesterday. I was more than happy with his game. He'll be used as a true utility I assume and I think he's capable of playing a lot of roles successfully - including up forward.

Picken was the go to man a few times because he was the only forward running and providing an option. He's normally a very decent mark but they didn't stick yesterday. I was more than happy with his game. He'll be used as a true utility I assume and I think he's capable of playing a lot of roles successfully - including up forward.
now no one can argue against you with that spec mod logo :p

Yes.....as Vital says I won't argue with you. :D

But....I love Picko, he's a heart and soul player and he can play in lots of roles, including forward. But surely there are more natural forwards on the list. In a congested forward 50 like yesterday with the Tiges you need that natural small forward, the likes of Dalhaus, Hunter, Hrovat, Honeychurch who are just smart on that area.

I have seen Picko kick goals plenty of times, so I have no doubt he can do it at times. But not for me. Not for extended periods anyway. We'll see, Bev is clearly thinking down your lines.

please don't card me.:cry:

Genetics are very important as to whether someone puts on size or not, everyone responds differently to weight training. Although Grants still skinny he was much skinnier when he started, the problem with Grant is he cant run either and carrying extra weight is going to negatively effect his already poor endurance.
If he doesn't do much aerobic work he would be able to build up but alas he doesn't gave that luxury.

The same applies to all AFL footballers and others who also do significant aerobic activity. Somehow they can build strength and muscle. I don't think Grant is that unique. Its all about work ethic.

Genetics are very important as to whether someone puts on size or not, everyone responds differently to weight training. Although Grants still skinny he was much skinnier when he started, the problem with Grant is he cant run either and carrying extra weight is going to negatively effect his already poor endurance.

Agree on genetics but if you work hard enough and have the correct diet you will build muscle and strength.

Another note, Macrae was more damaging with the pill yesterday. Was taking riskier options as well. Good to see.
he also looked faster (running wise)
Could be a another huge year for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't mind Jong's game at all yesterday. Managed to get himself in some space around half forward several times and deliver I50. Showed pace and marked. The role I've actually got him pegged for is running with the likes of Freo's Stephen Hill, dangerous wingers that need stopping etc. He's fast enough to go with them (tank a little unknown as yet), good in the air and physical enough to make their days very uncomfortable. Also make them accountable going the other way.
Libba's injury might see him (Jong) spend more time in the thick of it however. Prudden also. Going to need a lot of cover and rotations to compensate for Libba's absence. Wallis must step up this year (thought he went alright yesterday).

It was nice to see us play with a spine. How many times did we play with one key forward and one key back under Macca!?!?

Biggest upside for me was seeing a coach with some imagination and feel for the game.

I also loved that handball from Toyd to the Badger late in the game and the subsequent man love between the two.
This made such a difference. How many times did Redpath lead up to the ball 50-70 out? Last year we would of been kicking that to Gia or Dahl.

And don't get me started on Talia... Seriously, why was Mark Austin playing over him last year?

Thought the backline worked really well together yesterday. All of them played well there, and it was noticeable the difference in the game Roughhead played in the 2nd half when he was thrown forward because he all of a sudden couldn't get near it. Thought M.Boyd was more than serviceable in the L.Hodge role down there, and as long as he continues to choose options were he doesn't have to pinpoint the kick he's going to be good.

Midfield was good, but they were playing against Richmond's VFL midfield so I'll reserve too much judgement until they actually play against real opposition.

Forward line needs a bit of work. The personnel is about right bit it just didn't quite click. We again were entering 50 by kicking on the head of our small forwards and that made it hard to score. The times were we didn't do that and instead spotted blokes up we looked a lot better. I was endorsing Picken as a defensive forward but yesterday it didn't work at all, he looked lost.

This made such a difference. How many times did Redpath lead up to the ball 50-70 out? Last year we would of been kicking that to Gia or Dahl.

And don't get me started on Talia... Seriously, why was Mark Austin playing over him last year?

I agree. Talia has missed a whole year of development because of some hair brained scheme to not ruin his confidence, or something like that. FFS... I'm no BMac basher, but I could never agree with some of his selections

Thought the backline worked really well together yesterday. All of them played well there, and it was noticeable the difference in the game Roughhead played in the 2nd half when he was thrown forward because he all of a sudden couldn't get near it. Thought M.Boyd was more than serviceable in the L.Hodge role down there, and as long as he continues to choose options were he doesn't have to pinpoint the kick he's going to be good.

Midfield was good, but they were playing against Richmond's VFL midfield so I'll reserve too much judgement until they actually play against real opposition.

Forward line needs a bit of work. The personnel is about right bit it just didn't quite click. We again were entering 50 by kicking on the head of our small forwards and that made it hard to score. The times were we didn't do that and instead spotted blokes up we looked a lot better. I was endorsing Picken as a defensive forward but yesterday it didn't work at all, he looked lost.

Hopefully Moyd moves into the middle and Picken becomes that lock down player across half back. Balance restored...

I agree. Talia has missed a whole year of development because of some hair brained scheme to not ruin his confidence, or something like that. FFS... I'm no BMac basher, but I could never agree with some of his selections
I would expect he developed somewhat playing week in week out footy for the VFL champions of last season. Especially given that that is one of the principle reasons/purposes we established the team in the first place.

I would expect he developed somewhat playing week in week out footy for the VFL champions of last season. Especially given that that is one of the principle reasons/purposes we established the team in the first place.

Maybe, but he was a kid screaming out for a chance. Plenty of people saying that if BMac didn't go, he would have walked as well.

I didn't mind Jong's game at all yesterday. Managed to get himself in some space around half forward several times and deliver I50. Showed pace and marked. The role I've actually got him pegged for is running with the likes of Freo's Stephen Hill, dangerous wingers that need stopping etc. He's fast enough to go with them (tank a little unknown as yet), good in the air and physical enough to make their days very uncomfortable. Also make them accountable going the other way.
Libba's injury might see him (Jong) spend more time in the thick of it however. Prudden also. Going to need a lot of cover and rotations to compensate for Libba's absence. Wallis must step up this year (thought he went alright yesterday).

Jong covers a lot of ground and has plenty of speed. He'll get plenty of chances to prove himself this year.

Think he'd be a great lock down for those midfielders who,are good above their heads. The ones that expose you by heading down to the goal square

Maybe, but he was a kid screaming out for a chance. Plenty of people saying that if BMac didn't go, he would have walked as well.
That's a different argument to saying he missed a year of development. He may have been screaming for a chance but whether his onfield performances and/or attitude demanded one is debatable. His personal development as a player may very well have been best served by playing in a winning VFL side for that year (2014).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back