Game Day Western Bulldogs Vs Richmond R1 NAB Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

This one was enjoyable from start to finish, but honestly, you should really have won by 50 or more points, considering the amount of general play domination you had.

I guarantee you that if you don't clean up your skills and execution going inside forward 50 come season proper, you're gonna have a very long and painful year. NAB Challenge is never a true indicator of form, but your style of play crumbled under pressure today, and trust me, the pressure you're under in general play will increase ten-fold when you play a team with their full compliment of players.

And for the record, the reason Dwayne kept harping on the "full strength" thing is because we were resting the following best 22 players:

Trent Cotchin
Brett Deledio
Dustin Martin
Alex Rance
Jack Riewoldt
Ivan Maric
Shane Edwards
Bachar Houli
Brandon Ellis
Ben Griffiths
Reece Conca
Troy Chaplin
Chris Newman

Whereas from what I can tell, the only player you were missing pre-game that was in your best 22 was Crameri.

Whilst you guys may not like it, Dwayne absolutely had a valid point. Those 13 players mentioned above slot straight back into our best 22 very VERY easily.

As much as you guys might think we're being arrogant on our board when we're having a bit of a laugh about this game, the fact is, you were literally playing our reserves side, and with about 6 minutes left, with your full strength team on display, it was a 50/50 ball game.

That's not a good sign.

I'm not trolling when I say this stuff, and I say it with all due respect. I'm just calling it the way I see it, and the fact is, there are much better teams out there than Richmond. We are a 6th-10th team in the competition at full strength, and today you played us today at about 30% strength, and had major issues putting us away.

NAB Challenge or no NAB Challenge, if that's the standard you bring into 2015, you're absolutely heading for spoon territory.

A full strength Melbourne or St. Kilda would have beaten us by more today.
Yes we should have won by more and been up by more earlier on but with a new coach and a new game structure of playing it was always going to be hit and miss with the NAB cup games. And thinking otherwise, no matter what personal the Tigers had out is stupid and shows no knowledge of the game and how the early games are more trial. The so called big improvers Brisbane at almost full strength just beat a St Kilda side missing a couple of their stars too, does that mean they will be bottom 4 also? Most of us on here are not gloating because its a win, we are happy with some players and their improvement and the teams structure improvement.

Well done for stating the obvious. We should have won by over 50, you are correct. For all of the 2nd half we actually had 6 of our best 22 out, but I'll let you work those out.

On a different tack ... I liked the look of a couple of your young players. Elton and Short in particular.
Looks good.

Thoughts on players in yesterday's game al be it against pretty mch a vfl side. Overall more exciting but still lacked polish.
Talia- showed enough to be persisted with in the back like all year
Hamling- good intensity around the ball, might get games
Wood- athletic, powerful and an important player of our backlne
Boyd- worked hard and continued to present done his job
Redpath- without a legitimate key defender on him. But has changed my views on him was impressive as would much rather him in then any of our back up rucks played well.
Libba- heartbreaking and can onl hope
Minson- looked like his old self played okay, gives away to many stupid free kicks
Johanissen- love his run and gun but continues to shank it and tries to bullet passes
Dickson- always takes strong grabs and kicks a couple but does he fit in our structure
Grant- based on yesterday same crap
Boyd- isn't a backman and will move back into our midfield with libbas absence
Wallis- never a fan, but continues to work hard and do a job he is in the best 22
Stevens- doesn't do enough, but can be damaging. Needs to lift his game but does he have another level
Clay smith- hopefully comes back early this year and can strengthen up our midfield

I'm preparing my kids for a very long year.
While there were lots of positives ...the tall forward combo will be good if the delivery improves. There was a lot more run and carry from defence and an obvious directive for Woody and Talia to trust their ability to read the ball.
Things that hadn't changed... Minson, this man frustrates me no end. I wonder how long Bevo will put up with that?
Disposal. Can I blame the wind? On TV it looked woeful a lot of the time.
Still too often too many players going to the contest and ball would fall free to Tiges standing off the contest.....this happened a lot last season.
As one of my kids said about Libba, at least it didn't happen in 2017 when we are going to win it

This one was enjoyable from start to finish, but honestly, you should really have won by 50 or more points, considering the amount of general play domination you had.

I guarantee you that if you don't clean up your skills and execution going inside forward 50 come season proper, you're gonna have a very long and painful year. NAB Challenge is never a true indicator of form, but your style of play crumbled under pressure today, and trust me, the pressure you're under in general play will increase ten-fold when you play a team with their full compliment of players.

And for the record, the reason Dwayne kept harping on the "full strength" thing is because we were resting the following best 22 players:

Trent Cotchin
Brett Deledio
Dustin Martin
Alex Rance
Jack Riewoldt
Ivan Maric
Shane Edwards
Bachar Houli
Brandon Ellis
Ben Griffiths
Reece Conca
Troy Chaplin
Chris Newman

Whereas from what I can tell, the only player you were missing pre-game that was in your best 22 was Crameri.

Whilst you guys may not like it, Dwayne absolutely had a valid point. Those 13 players mentioned above slot straight back into our best 22 very VERY easily.

As much as you guys might think we're being arrogant on our board when we're having a bit of a laugh about this game, the fact is, you were literally playing our reserves side, and with about 6 minutes left, with your full strength team on display, it was a 50/50 ball game.

That's not a good sign.

I'm not trolling when I say this stuff, and I say it with all due respect. I'm just calling it the way I see it, and the fact is, there are much better teams out there than Richmond. We are a 6th-10th team in the competition at full strength, and today you played us today at about 30% strength, and had major issues putting us away.

NAB Challenge or no NAB Challenge, if that's the standard you bring into 2015, you're absolutely heading for spoon territory.

A full strength Melbourne or St. Kilda would have beaten us by more today.
Having a set of young players trying their heart vs a group of senior players who couldn't care less about pre-season games can be advantageous, you can never read anything into pre-season form.

Actually based on some pre-season results in the past we should be booking tickets for September because of the strong correlation between playing poorly in pre-season and playing well in the season proper.

I thought the game plan Luke Beveridge has introduced is really a breath of fresh air, today we showed glimpses of what we can expect. EXICITING.
The conditions where not good, that bloody wind blowing straight down the ground is hard to play good football.
But it was great to watch us take on the game, and not have 18 behind the ball as Richmond did when we were kicking with the wind. A big change from last season.
Overall I thought a pretty satisfactory hit out, with plenty to look forward to, special mention to Jack Redpath who I believe is going to be so important for us this season going forward.
Tom Boyd just let us forget he is in the team, but gee doesn't he straighten us up. EXCITING.
GO DOGGIES.

It was nice to see us play with a spine. How many times did we play with one key forward and one key back under Macca!?!?

Biggest upside for me was seeing a coach with some imagination and feel for the game.

I also loved that handball from Toyd to the Badger late in the game and the subsequent man love between the two.

Grant- based on yesterday same crap

Not to defend him - but on at least five or six occasions in the 2nd quarter he was on his own in the forward pocket yet continually ignored.

As an aside - we had a girl of no more than 14 in front of us wearing what was clearly a player issue J Grant guernsey.

It fit her perfectly.

Which sums up Grant's physique. It's just shocking.

Sorry to intrude but don't you just love flog Richmond supporters coming onto your board with zero respect and posting?

Here's a hint for you pal, go back to your own board and bask in the royal shit fest that is Richmond footy club where stroking of Jack Riewoldts plums is encouraged and signing up your cat for more than licking your arse means a Tigers membership!

Sorry boys, I just came to read about Libba and seen this reptile dribble and had to respond.
Is it as bad as going onto an oppositions team board 7:30 on a Sunday morning purely for the likes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to defend him - but on at least five or six occasions in the 2nd quarter he was on his own in the forward pocket yet continually ignored.

As an aside - we had a girl of no more than 14 in front of us wearing what was clearly a player issue J Grant guernsey.

It fit her perfectly.

Which sums up Grant's physique. It's just shocking.

I really think his is just a body type that can't attain muscle and strength. Perhaps Scott Clayton should have thought about this before taking him top 5 when as a 190+ eighteen year old he weighed at best 60 kgs but I digress.

What's the story with the AFL website game replay... have to subscribe now??? is this purely a NAB thing?

I really think his is just a body type that can't attain muscle and strength. Perhaps Scott Clayton should have thought about this before taking him top 5 when as a 190+ eighteen year old he weighed at best 60 kgs but I digress.

Are you sure about that statement "I really think his is just a body type that can't attain muscle and strength". I've been going to a gym for many many years and seen many JGrant builds who with hard work and dedication have put on many kgs of muscle and gained strength. The ones that don't build strength and muscle are the ones that don't work hard enough.

Is it as bad as going onto an oppositions team board 7:30 on a Sunday morning purely for the likes?

He/she will only get likes if they have a valid point. Now piss off back to your own board and enjoy your year of not quite being good enough. Knob.

Are you sure about that statement "I really think his is just a body type that can't attain muscle and strength". I've been going to a gym for many many years and seen many JGrant builds who with hard work and dedication have put on many kgs of muscle and gained strength. The ones that don't build strength and muscle are the ones that don't work hard enough.

If he doesn't do much aerobic work he would be able to build up but alas he doesn't gave that luxury.

Sorry for intruding again. Just wanted to thank all the Bulldogs supporters who travelled (clicked) on the Richmond Board banter thread and participated and behaved in an exemplary manner.

It was a joy watching the to-ing and fro-ong between Richmond and Bulldogs supporters, poking fun without the fear of repercussion.

All the best for 2015 and good luck with Libba, hope it's nothing major.

We finished 14th last year and our 2 best players (by a large distance) won't play for us this year.

Higgins and cooney, whilst frustrating and not a huge part of our futures, are better players right now than whoever will replace them.

I'm thrilled with the way the club is shaping moving forward, but we have to be heavily in the conversation to win the spoon this year.

Genetics are very important as to whether someone puts on size or not, everyone responds differently to weight training. Although Grants still skinny he was much skinnier when he started, the problem with Grant is he cant run either and carrying extra weight is going to negatively effect his already poor endurance.

A lot of it is genetics and nutrition as a child that has nothing to do with how hard you work. The people your describe probably don't have to partake in as much intense physical activity and contact as J Grant where their thin skeletal structure would be under less stress with the added weight they have gained.

Great to hear Luke Beveridge talk in his press conference, the bloke makes so much sense.
Thank god we have had a changing guard, I really believe we were going no where with the past crew, Macca just talked complete crap, going back to work on Monday, developing players etc.
Macca has got himself a new job and good luck to him, but if he would have continued down the path we were heading I hate to think of the consequences.
So pleased with the work of Luke Beveridge, both at training and on is first match day, it is only early days but gee he is a very impressive young man.
I think the Western Bulldogs have the right man.
Bottom four may be a realistic finish, but I think we will surprise a few, and have the unexpected wins along the way.
Cannot wait for 2015 season to start.
GO DOGGIES.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back