What are the question marks over your team in 2022?

Remove this Banner Ad

Even though the lid is off and I feel optimistic for the foreseeable future so that we can turn this into a dynasty, I do still have some questions marks for the Mighty Dees.

Can we have a clean run of injuries once again in 2022? Selwyn Griffiths is taking over the reigns from Burgo, so lets hope he can continue the magic and fingers crossed that once again we have a relatively clean bill of health for the season and in the case that players go down similar to how Tomlinson, Hunt and co went down that we'll have gems like Bowey to fill the cracks.

Our Defence and Midfield have proven in 2021 to be effectively the best in the entire competition. But can we fine tune the forward line? Weideman in particular is looking to hopefully overtake Tom McDonald for his position in the team. We do finally seem to have some depth in that region and I was happy that our first pick was used on a key position forward who's body actually seems ready to go. My guess is that young Van Rooyen will start pushing Weideman in particular to perform. No rush with the young WA prospect, but if he puts in the hard yards in the VFL and one of the big boys go down, then why not give him a crack.

We had an average winning margin of 34 points. Another area for improvement would be to obviously not drop games to teams like the Crows and Pies. Next year I'd happily have a semi convincing win over the better teams, and to flat track bully the lower teams. This effectively goes hand in hand with the improvement of our forward line/structures (which to be fair appeared to gel a lot better in the latter part of the season).

The final question marks would be can we hold on to out of contract players and sign them on long term. Important players to note coming out of contract in 2022 include: Brayshaw, Spargo, Hunt, Pickett, Jackson & Sparrow. Although provided we keep playing the way we have been, I imagine most of them will sign on and fairly early in season 2022.

Bloody pumped for the season to come. Bring on #Deesbacktoback Should actually be able to attend all games provided the Govts don't utensil up and put us into any more lockdowns. We just need to learn to live with it at this point.
Yep - question mark is whether you can go B2B. Teams will target the Dees this year like never before.

Still a bloody good chance of Dees doing it though

Ellis would have made a case for the medical sub from our 2021 premiership team but yeah, outside of that, I don't see any of those players getting a game at the Dees. No offence.
Whoa... rain it in young fella!
What you need to worry about is getting the league average when it comes to injuries. You guys were blessed with an incredible run with injuries and several players having 'career' years which they will more than likely never do again. You won a flag so have every right to boast about talent but the reality is everything went right for the Mt Hotham Dees last year and that rarely happens.
Off ya trott....

Haha, just stating facts champ.

So did I champ.

What is that saying about statistics?

"Damned lies and statistics".

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments. It is also sometimes colloquially used to doubt statistics used to prove an opponent's point.

End of the day one player is on a meh contract at his third club and not a regular best 22 player. Where Barrass is best 22 every week, on a pretty decent contract and will be a one club player and premiership player.

So all good champ!;):thumbsu:

Ol Nostradamus here, Barrass allready been courted a year in advance

That is what clubs do with free agents.

Not uncommon.

Barrass was signed to the end of 2022. Reported that the Swans were keen and would have traded for him last trade period. Eagles quickly moved to extend and avoid RFA issues.

Wonder if Nostradamas read the papers / internet too? ;) :think:

BLAH BLAH BLAH
I say this humbly and with the deepest respect, but you should feel embarrassed about sharing your opinion because you have no idea what you are talking about and you're making it really obvious :$

Viney demolished Jack Macrae in the grand final. He's a star. He just doesn't get the credit that Petracca and Oliver because they are better and ergo do more work than him.

Benny Brown averaged close to two sausages per game once back from injury, same as Danniher, Tommy Lynch and Aaron Naughton. He'll only get better.

Tomlinson is a best 22 defender, his replacement in J. Smith was also injured, that's very hard to come back from, not only losing a best 22 player but their replacement as well? That's very stiff.

We played Western Bulldogs in the grand final, who were missing only "one season wonder" in Jack Bruce. And what happened? We kicked 100 points in a quarter and a bit, and during that same time, I think they kicked 7 points?

"derp derp some melbourne players had best ever years!"... Well of course they did. Jack Bowey had his best ever season, but that's because he never played before. Harrison Petty less than a dozen games? Sparrow, Rivers, Pickett, Rising Star Winner LUKE JACKSON... did you really think they were going to regress before they'd even played 50 games? What is wrong with you?

North Melbourne are profitable and have the biggest supporter base in the AFL!:):moustache:

Their finances are a f**k load better than a lot of other clubs running around. Debt free and have made a profit 11 out the last 12 years. That’s with an unfair draw, unfair media rights, unfair stadium deals, no pokie revenue, profits during both covid years and with very little success on field. Gone a bit off topic, but they’re doing just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Benny Brown averaged close to two sausages per game once back from injury, same as Danniher, Tommy Lynch and Aaron Naughton. He'll only get better.
It is strange a Footscray supporter would pot Viney and Brown.

Viney went head to head with the Dogs clearance king Liberatore and was more effective (12 clearances to 7). In fact, Viney's 12 clearances are the second most in a grand final and a large reason we won the game.

Big bad Benny Brown also had twice the contested marks of Naughton and 3 times the goals.

Another fun fact: Brown has kicked 5 goals in a game 12 times, which is the same as Tom Lynch. Brown has done it in 143 games to Lynch's 193, you know, it's taken Brown 50 games less.

Also, Toump Ass, Benny has the same amount of goals in a GF to Tommy Lynch. But he's played half the grand finals as Tommy. :)

Last edited:
Big question over whether our older players hit the wall or whether they can rejuvenate themselves.

There is a possibility we may have some players who due to age and injuries may have gone on longer than what they should. Hate to see Edwards being dropped to the VFL.

Whether Prestia can get right again and whether Martin can overcome his latest two hurdles worries me a little.

So did I champ.

What is that saying about statistics?

"Damned lies and statistics".

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments. It is also sometimes colloquially used to doubt statistics used to prove an opponent's point.

End of the day one player is on a meh contract at his third club and not a regular best 22 player. Where Barrass is best 22 every week, on a pretty decent contract and will be a one club player and premiership player.

So all good champ!;):thumbsu:
That's opinions, stats aren't opinion it's facts.

Some of the major ones for us:

- Will we be able to keep our guys on the park a lot more than we did last season. Especially those most important to our prospects.

9 of those who played in the finals for us in 2020 missed at least 9 games due to injury/unavailability last season, with 4 of them missing at least 19, while Marshall and Billings were playing with significant foot injuries for 27 of the 31 games they did play. Which is obviously an injury smashing. A better injury run alone could see us back into the finals.

- Will our fitness be up to scratch? Mick Malthouse said mid season last year that he’d been watching us closely and didn’t believe our fitness was up to AFL standard, and that that would- apart from anything else- make it significantly harder for our young guys to develop properly.

It seems we agreed, as we’ve got a new fitness boss, so how much difference being fitter makes to our performances and on individuals will be interesting.

- Will Max King continue on with his dominant late-season form, when he was just about taking on the other teams himself at times? Kicked 24 goals from his last 9 games, despite doing quads in each of his last 2.

- Was Coper Sharman’s form once brought in a flash-in-the-pan (10 goals from about 3.5 games), or will he likewise continue on like that.

- Will we remember how to play at Marvel, or will we continue to stink it up on the regular there, like we did last season (when we performed much more consistently well interstate than on our home deck!).

- Will some of our first round picks from recent years in particular step it up to take some of the load off Steele. The likes of Gresham, Clark, Coffield and Higgins.

- Will we be able to bridge the gap between how much better we are when both Ryder and Marshall play than when one, or especially both, are not?

Wow. You are really trying hard aren't you LOL.

Well you better sign Frost long term then champ.

Swans came calling for Barrass as a RFA at the end of 2022 and were very keen.

He stuck with the Eagles with a pretty decent contract that will make him a one club player.

So you better forward your post to the Hawks and increase his contract to keep him.
You're waisting your time with Dom.

Hawthorn tried to upgrade Sam Frost to Aiden Corr 12 months after trading for him but Corr snubbed them. According to Dom, Frost is better than Corr and all Hawthorn players are elite...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn tried to upgrade Sam Frost to Aiden Corr 12 months after trading for him but Corr snubbed them. According to Dom, Frost is better than Corr and all Hawthorn players are elite...
It's completely arguable that Corr is better than Frost though.

And we didn't try to upgrade Frost, we wanted a cheap FB, and got Hartigan across instead.

Compare that spine with other sides and you will rethink the 2022 ladder finish.

Sicily and Gunston both returning from serious injury.

Frost LOL.

McEvoy as ruck would rank where in the comp?

My comment specifically said ‘given a good injury run’ …. then you say ‘Sicily and Gunston returning from serious injury’.

So yes … if Sicily gets seriously injured again and Gunston doesn’t play and Wingard tears his hammy 3 times then I don’t think they will compete for finals either.

It is strange a Footscray supporter would pot Viney and Brown.

Viney went head to head with the Dogs clearance king Liberatore and was more effective (12 clearances to 7). In fact, Viney's 12 clearances are the second most in a grand final and a large reason we won the game.

Big bad Benny Brown also had twice the contested marks of Naughton and 3 times the goals.

Another fun fact: Brown has kicked 5 goals in a game 12 times, which is the same as Tom Lynch. Brown has done it in 143 games to Lynch's 193, you know, it's taken Brown 50 games less.

Also, Toump Ass, Benny has the same amount of goals in a GF to Tommy Lynch. But he's played half the grand finals as Tommy. :)

Ben Brown played his role really well for the Demons…. In a Premiership team that was dominant. But he was an important cog and did his job. Tom Lynch was playing in an ordinary Richmond team in 2021 and had one of his worst seasons. So let’s compare the returns of the two in 2021:

Goals: Brown 1.9. Lynch. 1.9
I50’s: Brown 2.3. Lynch 2.5
Goal assists: Brown 0.3. Lynch 0.8
Score Involvements: Brown 5.3. Lynch 6.4

So Lynch had more goal assists and SI’s in a team that was playing poorly and was struggling to score, than Brown who was in a dominant flag team with a dominant midfield.

Lynch average more possessions and contested marks as well, with Brown averaging more uncontested marks and less turnovers …. but the differences across most other stats were negligible.

I’m the first to concede Lynch was pretty ordinary in 2021. But it wouldn’t have been much fun playing forward at Richmond in 2021 with no Prestia, Cotchin, Edwards or Martin for large portions of the year.

But I was surprised that BB contributed less goals and less scores than Lynch given how poor I thought Lynch was in 2021 and the impression I had of Brown’s contribution.

It's completely arguable that Corr is better than Frost though.

And we didn't try to upgrade Frost, we wanted a cheap FB, and got Hartigan across instead.
You wanted a cheap full back and went for Aiden Corr? Bizarre.

Frost is clearly superior to everyone.

You make it sound like Corr is some sort of star.

We weren’t upgrading Frost, we wanted to replace Frawley who we had retired.

Ben Brown played his role really well for the Demons…. In a Premiership team that was dominant. But he was an important cog and did his job. Tom Lynch was playing in an ordinary Richmond team in 2021 and had one of his worst seasons. So let’s compare the returns of the two in 2021:

Goals: Brown 1.9. Lynch. 1.9
I50’s: Brown 2.3. Lynch 2.5
Goal assists: Brown 0.3. Lynch 0.8
Score Involvements: Brown 5.3. Lynch 6.4

So Lynch had more goal assists and SI’s in a team that was playing poorly and was struggling to score, than Brown who was in a dominant flag team with a dominant midfield.

Lynch average more possessions and contested marks as well, with Brown averaging more uncontested marks and less turnovers …. but the differences across most other stats were negligible.

I’m the first to concede Lynch was pretty ordinary in 2021. But it wouldn’t have been much fun playing forward at Richmond in 2021 with no Prestia, Cotchin, Edwards or Martin for large portions of the year.

But I was surprised that BB contributed less goals and less scores than Lynch given how poor I thought Lynch was in 2021 and the impression I had of Brown’s contribution.

It's well known that Brown had a horrible time of it in the first half of the season at his new club. He was coming back from a knee and then had a preseason set back with said knee, which put him back a couple of months further. When he got his opportunity he was lukewarm and subsequently dropped after mediocre performances. It took him many weeks in the reserves to work out what we wanted and to return to the senior team.

It was only the last 8 weeks of the year that he played his role to the desired level and what we expect moving forward.

Last edited:
You make it sound like Corr is some sort of star.

We weren’t upgrading Frost, we wanted to replace Frawley who we had retired.

Perhaps in keeping with the OP you could list the question marks over the Hawks in 2022.

Perhaps in keeping with the OP you could list the question marks over the Roos in 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back