What are we doing with Lynch, Kerridge and Johnston?

Remove this Banner Ad

A FEW GOOD MEN

Club Legend
Apr 20, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We traded well to pick up Lynch and Johnston and it looks like Kerridge could be another Rendell special but have we handled them well so far?

Tom Lynch was played in the fluro singlet for the entire pre-season and performed well everytime he was given a run. He then started in the fluro in both round one and two and collected 22 kicks 4 handballs and 3 goals 2 in less than 70 minutes game time. He then starts against Hawthorn, kicks two of our 6 goals and then it's back to the ranga singlet. He is then banished to the SANFL.

Sam Kerridge was given even more time in the fluoro during the pre-season but looked great everytime he was given game time. He is then sent back to Sturt (hello, my name is Sam and I will be playing with you guys from now on). After struggling when he came on against Hawthorn (who wasn't struggling at that stage?) has he been banished to the SANFL?

Finally there is Lewis Johnston. After a brief run against the Brisbane under 18's in Alice Springs, we haven't seen him again. He has been performing well for the Roosters but where is he at?

It's easier to understand the lack of opportunities for Luke Brown and Josh Jenkins(who also looked very good in limited pre-season opportunities) but have we been too conservative for a side that is rebuilding?

Sam Shaw deserved to play in round 1 and justified this when he was given a run last week and I am confident Jarryd Lyons will do the same on Sunday?

Have we been too conservative providing opportunities to emerging talent, given the fact that we will have played four of the five bottom teams in our first five matches?

Discuss.........................

Lynch is in excess to our needs. Is destined to be the regular sub untill Walker/Tippett/Porplyzia are injured/suspended/dropped. Needs run in SANFL for now for match fitness.

Kerridge was treated correctly for 3 weeks, but needed to play vs the Giants. Should probably feel a little hard done by.

Johnston is excess to our needs and needs 2 of Walker/Tippett/Porplyzia/Lynch to get injured/suspended/dropped to play up forward, or 2 of Rutten/Talia/Shaw/Otten to be injured/suspended/dropped to play down back.

Lynch is in excess to our needs. Is destined to be the regular sub untill Walker/Tippett/Porplyzia are injured/suspended/dropped. Needs run in SANFL for now for match fitness.

Kerridge was treated correctly for 3 weeks, but needed to play vs the Giants. Should probably feel a little hard done by.

Johnston is excess to our needs and needs 2 of Walker/Tippett/Porplyzia/Lynch to get injured/suspended/dropped to play up forward, or 2 of Rutten/Talia/Shaw/Otten to be injured/suspended/dropped to play down back.

Why did we spend up to buy Lynch if he wasn't part of a forward line with Walker and Tippett? What is the evidence that he lacks match fitness? Is this a BigFooty myth? The information I have seen indicates he has excellent aerobic capacity? Did you watch any of the pre-season games, he kicked lots of goals due to his superior fitness.

Lewis Johnston was resigned for 2 years by Sydney but chose to come to Adelaide for the greater opportunities. Did they play us for suckers or was Rendells opinion different to Sando? Wasn't Sando involved in trading for these guys?

Because they were better than whatever picks we would've got in the draft.
Bullseye. Lynch and Johnston are depth only. Very pleased that Walker and Shaw are playing ahead of them.

Disappointed we haven't seen more of Kerridge.

Because they were better than whatever picks we would've got in the draft.

In the sums, we traded Maric for Lynch - a serviceable but peaked surplus ruckman for a backup forward who may develop further. Suggesting we spent up to get him is idiotic and entirely inaccurate.

If we'd used the pick we got for Maric instead, the only difference would have been taking Mitch Grigg at #37 instead of #41, Nick Joyce at #41 instead of #46, and then either Ellis-Yolmen or someone else at #46 with #64 as a pass.

We did not trade in Ryan Griffen or Brendon Goddard - these guys are not superstars we cannily stole to play every game this year, they are players who were surplus to requirements at their first club that we thought we had a better chance of turning into something than any of the fresh draftees available.

Some of the players selected after Sam Kerridge who have seen more time in the AFL this year (excluding rookie upgrades and players who have had previous AFL experience.

Yeo, Hill. Newnes, Paine, Dickson, Neale, Stephenson, Hall, Tynan, Dell Olio, Crisp and Magner.

I guess we will see in six weeks time whether we are re-building or shooting for a top four position

Sando wanted to test out a ruck combo of Jacobs and McKernan so Tippo could stay forward, but because of the crap conditions, we didn't get an accurate read on if it will work, so we're trying it again this week. I suspect that if Smack has another week like last week, he'll be out and Lynch back in.

Johnston has been alright from what I've seen in ther SANFL, but at this point he's only a depth player, if he steps it up then he could be challenging for a regular spot sooner rather than later.

Kerridge I was disappointed that he didn't get another run, he was thrown in the deep end against Hawthorn and struggled as you'd expect, but I suspect he'll get another go soon if he's in good form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the players selected after Sam Kerridge who have seen more time in the AFL this year (excluding rookie upgrades and players who have had previous AFL experience.

Yeo, Hill. Newnes, Paine, Dickson, Neale, Stephenson, Hall, Tynan, Dell Olio, Crisp and Magner.

I guess we will see in six weeks time whether we are re-building or shooting for a top four position

They don't play at our club though. Del'Olio for example is playing for the injury riddled Bombers team. If we had as many first selection players out as Essendon, Kerridge would of course be in the side.

Also, none of that takes into account team balance, or how those players performed over the preseason, at training and in the reserves.

Places shouldn't be gifted, they should be earned.

Magner was a mature aged recruit for Melbourne, how is that even close to comparable? The same goes for Stephenson, a 29 year old ruckman who only played because the rest of them are injured, and even then only got 2 games.

Paine played 3 games and was dropped.
Dickson played 2 games and was dropped.
Kerridge played 1 game and was dropped.
Hill played 1 game and was dropped.
Tynan played 1 game and was dropped from Melbourne.
Yeo has not played a game at all.
Crisp is playing his 2nd game.
Neale is playing his 2nd game.
DellOlio is an older draftee (22) who just played his 2nd game.
Newnes is playing his 4th game.
Hall is another older draftee (21), playing his 5th game

Your claims are entirely fraudulent. Clutching at imaginary straws is the best that could be said.

Rabble, earnt it, rebuild, injuries, rebuild, injuries, injuries, rabble, rabble, injuries, rabble, rabble.

Those guys wouldn't be playing this early in the season if they were strong healthy teams with depth in each position. I think we have enough depth currently in our KPP and midfield stocks not to have blooded players needlessly as yet.

Though I think Lynch should have been accommodated in the team since debut, and that Jaensch should have played in that Hawks game rather than Kerridge.

Magner was a mature aged recruit for Melbourne, how is that even close to comparable? The same goes for Stephenson, a 29 year old ruckman who only played because the rest of them are injured, and even then only got 2 games.

Paine played 3 games and was dropped.
Dickson played 2 games and was dropped.
Kerridge played 1 game and was dropped.
Hill played 1 game and was dropped.
Tynan played 1 game and was dropped from Melbourne.
Yeo has not played a game at all.
Crisp is playing his 2nd game.
Neale is playing his 2nd game.
DellOlio is an older draftee (22) who just played his 2nd game.
Newnes is playing his 4th game.
Hall is another older draftee (21), playing his 5th game

Your claims are entirely fraudulent. Clutching at imaginary straws is the best that could be said.

I didn't claim to provide an exhaustive list, just some names that I listed off the top of my head. You claimed that if we didn't trade for these "back-up" players we wouldn't have been able to trade much of value in any case. I am confident thatthis will prove to be wrong but only time will tell.

When we traded for them many posters on this board claimed they would be first 22. Without Lynch and Johnston doing anything wrong they are now back up players who arn't in our best 30?

lynch is better than mckernan, im embarrassed that mckernan can get a game ahead of lynch (and yes i get the ruck thing, but a dud ruck/forward is less use than lynch)

I agree with you, Lynch has performed well as a third tall and has shown more in three games than McKernan has in four years on our list.

I hate to hang a player out to dry on the back of one game, but the NAB cup game against Collingwood this year showed that McKernan still hasnt developed anywhere close to where he should be.

I've almost given up on McKernan and not sure why he's still rated so highly. It's his fourth year on the list and for me is still playing like a first year player. He's too soft, he is a massive guy and should be a massive tough unit, but sadly he seems to have soft hands and an even softer approach on the ball.

I didn't claim to provide an exhaustive list, just some names that I listed off the top of my head. You claimed that if we didn't trade for these "back-up" players we wouldn't have been able to trade much of value in any case. I am confident thatthis will prove to be wrong but only time will tell.

When we traded for them many posters on this board claimed they would be first 22. Without Lynch and Johnston doing anything wrong they are now back up players who arn't in our best 30?
Translated as:
'I actually don't have any idea of which younger players are playing for other teams at present and have no idea about the state of their list and current injuries, so I'll just list some random draftees from last year and hopefully hit a couple!'

Guess simple point is do we trade for these players to give them a opportunity and to add to our strength or not.
Yes they have to earn it and who really can say Lynch did not earn his spot and with limited opportunity show he was worthy of team no matter what logic used.
Also another main point is what traded players like Jacobs gain from a opportunity and a bit of faith is confidence they have not received before.
Then from confidence they grow .

Lynch is better than Smack but are we better off playing Lynch and having Kurt 2nd ruck or playing Smack as 2nd ruck and leaving Kurt forward?

Does Kurt play better as a forward/ruck or as a forward?

Are we just robbing Peter to pay Paul either way?

Hawthorn dropped Gunston this week...I wonder if they think it's a failed trade already.

Hawthorn are trying to win a premiership so for them Gunston's development this year is superfluous to them whereas we are trying to build our list so actually developing our list this year is crucial.

If we were in the midst of a premiership assault, like Hawthorn, I'm sure people wouldn’t be overly concerned if we'd dropped a developing player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back