What are you currently watching?

Remove this Banner Ad

Star Trek Continues - Seems to be a follow on from the original series - the 5 year mission exploring the Final Frontier. All the regulars are there - Kirk, Spock, Uhura, McCoy, Sulu, Chekov and Scotty. The Enterprise is the same cartoonish ship as in the original. Tech is mid 70s. New actors, of course, in the key roles. Interestingly, Scotty is played by Christopher Doohan, who is actually James Doohan's (the original Scotty) son. Marina Sirtis actually voices the computer.

Script is typically original series level bad. Acting is dreadful. But for die hard Trekkers, you would probably want to watch. From what I can gather there was only one season - 11 episodes over 5 years (2013-2017).

Would appear to be deliberately dumbed down to look like it was a direct follow on.

Black Cake - 8-part show from Hulu. A teenage Jamaican girl disappears in the ocean trying to escape a marriage after being sold to the local bad guy. 50 years later a dying woman in California leaves a series of tapes for her dysfunctional children.

Very good show.

Last edited:

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry. Yet another story of an old guy who takes a long walk. This one stars Jim Broadbent. Not as touching as The Last Rifleman as it fizzled out a bit in the end, but worth a look.

This movie also stars Earl Cave. Earl is the son of Nick Cave.

As an aside, I knew Nick when he was really young. I was taught Grade 7 English by Nick's father. There is a bit of nasty history in there. Suffice to say Nick really was a Bad Seed. It is noteworthy that Earl's IMDB bio mentions Colin, his grandfather. Nick's bio makes no mention of him at all.

Jim Broadbent is as they say gets better with age, like a fine wine.

His portrayal of Dennis Thatcher with Meryl Streep in "The Iron Lady" (2011) to the tough old, quite nasty and near bonkers old thief in "King of Thieves (2018) with Michael Caine to starring alongside Helen Mirren in "The Duke" (2020). The scene in the courtroom being cross examined by the prosecutor is real laugh out loud stuff.

To me, this remains his high point...

View attachment 1871338

Cannot really comment as I personally thought Blackadder series 1 to 3 was about as great as hammering a nail while outside in the cold and rain, missing the nail and smashing your thumb instead.

Blackadder goes forth on the hand a masterpiece, even, the Rick Mayall episode has eventually won me over as worthy of joining the other 5 on the alter of one of the best comedy series ever.

Cannot really comment as I personally thought Blackadder series 1 to 3 was about as great as hammering a nail while outside in the cold and rain, missing the nail and smashing your thumb instead.

Blackadder goes forth on the hand a masterpiece, even, the Rick Mayall episode has eventually won me over as worthy of joining the other 5 on the alter of one of the best comedy series ever.
Actually own the DVDs LOL

What are the others on your list mate?

I have been @ pains with NETFLIX lately!

First watched the movie "Pain Hustlers (2023)" starring Emily Blunt, Chris Evans and Andy Garcia. A movie about the American pharmaceutical industry based on the "Insys Thereapeutics scandal.

next

I watched a six part series also on Netflix called "PainKillers" (2023) starring West Duchonvny (yes, the progeny of David and Tea Leoni), Matthew Broderick and for me the standout performance by Uzo Abuda playing the cynical, burnt out Government lawyer who fights and fights to bring the makers of "Oxy Contin" to justice all the while battlling her own family problems.

Both very similar with highs and lows, greed, death and betrayal.

Both ok to watch without being particularly special or memorable.

Started this last Wednesday, 3rd season of the most excellent British series "Slow Horses" (2023) starring Gary Oldman, (Brilliant as the badie "Air Force One" and "the Fifth Element" and Kristin Scott Thomas and Jack Lowden.

First two episodes dropped..literally in part on Wednesday with another every week for at least 4 weeks. On Apple TV.

Producers have said as long as Gary Oldman wants to play the part of Jackson Lamb, they will continue to produce the shows.

It maybe called Slow Horses but there is nothing slow about the plot. It rips along at a roaring pace that leaves you holding your breath.

# If you have not seen Seasons 1 and 2 well worth watching, in fact, really necessary so you understand the relationship of various characters before you see this season. 6-8 episodes per season about 40-50 minutes long.
Slow Horses has been excellent so far. About to start the new season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5th season of Fargo on SBS.

Back to it's best after a fairly so so season 4.

I have heard very good reports about Fargo season 5. Seems they have returned to the winners list!!

Don't forget, REACHER, season 2 starts tomorrow.

Just heard and then checked out the trailer to the movie "Silent Night" (2023) by John Woo. Movie review by Paul Harris on 3AW nights. Wow. This looks like the type of movie I would spend money on to go and actually see in the movies.

Might join the annual play list at this time of the year with Die Hard 1 and 2 and ors.

What are the others on your list mate?

Sorry, just re read my comments and can see the confusion I have created.

I meant the other 5 episodes in series 4 of Blackadder.

Q - What are your favorite TV comedy series?

Just watched a show called Hanna. Three seasons from 2019-2021. The show is loosely based on the 2011 movie of the same name starring Saoirse Ronan, Cate Blanchett and Eric Bana. Essentially, the CIA have been running an off-book super-soldier program where they recruit single mums-to-be to give up their child, then enhance the babies' DNA. One baby is rescued and raised in the wilderness. Sixteen years later, a teenage girl returns to get revenge.

The 2011 movie is absolute garbage considering the cast. The screenplay and directing was a full blown disaster.

The TV series, however, had writers develop an interesting concept and turned out a very strong storyline. The result is pretty damn good. Recommended.

I have heard very good reports about Fargo season 5. Seems they have returned to the winners list!!

Don't forget, REACHER, season 2 starts tomorrow.

Just heard and then checked out the trailer to the movie "Silent Night" (2023) by John Woo. Movie review by Paul Harris on 3AW nights. Wow. This looks like the type of movie I would spend money on to go and actually see in the movies.

Might join the annual play list at this time of the year with Die Hard 1 and 2 and ors.
Yes, sweating on Reacher.

Silent Night stars Joel Kinnaman, who happens to be the lead in the show Hanna that I mentioned in the above post. Will watch out for this one.:thumbsu:

Sorry, just re read my comments and can see the confusion I have created.

I meant the other 5 episodes in series 4 of Blackadder.

Q - What are your favorite TV comedy series?

Fawlty Towers, The Inbetweeners, Derry Girls and The Office UK would all be on the list. Probably Seinfeld too, up until it got (understandably) inconsistent in later seasons.

There will be a couple I have missed there, I’ll have to think on it.

Fawlty Towers, The Inbetweeners, Derry Girls and The Office UK would all be on the list. Probably Seinfeld too, up until it got (understandably) inconsistent in later seasons.

There will be a couple I have missed there, I’ll have to think on it.
Yes Minister, Yes Prime Minister, Open All Hours, Only Fools and Horses. All very dated now but very funny.

Yes Minister, Yes Prime Minister, Open All Hours, Only Fools and Horses. All very dated now but very funny.
The list really is endless. Could include Porridge, any Ronnie Barker show, any Ronnie Corbett show and a dozen other sitcoms.

Last edited:
If you have a chance to see Lawmen Bass Reeves it might be worth a look. Stars David Oyelowo as Bass Reeves. Biographical story (from civil war onwards) of the first black US Deputy Marshall. Donald Sutherland as the Hanging Judge. Some suggestion that he was the inspiration for the Lone Ranger show.

Another for the kids - Percy Jackson and The Olympians TV series. Just a poor man's version of the Lightning Thief movie, but the kids might enjoy it.

For those missing their regular dose of Sci-Fi, watch out for Rebel Moon: Part One - A Child of Fire on Netflix. Directed and co-written by Zack Snyder. Is pretty good. Part two due in 2024.

There is also a new Hunger Games movie out. Prequel to the others, taking place during the 10th Hunger Games. Not likely to bother with this one. Enjoyed the first but the next three got progressively worse. The costumes and hairdos eventually got too much to bear. Perhaps someone could give some assessment of it.

Last edited:
Vigil Season 2 is better than Season 1. Must see.

Sorry arupist. Watched the first bit of episode 1 of Vigil but turned off when they showed the interior of the luxury nuclear cruise submarine. Sorry, details matter and the producers couldnt produce something way more realistic - both the submarine and the whole premise of sending a police officer, female no less to a sub in the middle of a strategic patrol that was believable, then I just gave this a big miss.

As will I on the 2nd second season. Hate, absolutely hate it when they invent countries - in this case the fictional Kingdom of Wudyan and use that as the basis of the story. I just do not buy it.
When one of my very favs the West Wing went off rails with its "Sultanate of Qumar"..all episodes about this probably the worst of the whole 7 seasons.

If you have a chance to see Lawmen Bass Reeves it might be worth a look. Stars David Oyelowo as Bass Reeves. Biographical story (from civil war onwards) of the first black US Deputy Marshall. Donald Sutherland as the Hanging Judge. Some suggestion that he was the inspiration for the Lone Ranger show.

Another for the kids - Percy Jackson and The Olympians TV series. Just a poor man's version of the Lightning Thief movie, but the kids might enjoy it.

Had a look at "Lawman Bass Reeves" - opening episode was excellent. Part of the Taylor Sheridan stable so it is good and will continue to follow this. Thank you for the heads up!! Plus it has/had Shea Whigham from Perry Mason in it as a bonus.

For those missing their regular dose of Sci-Fi, watch out for Rebel Moon: Part One - A Child of Fire on Netflix. Directed and co-written by Zack Snyder. Is pretty good. Part two due in 2024.

There is also a new Hunger Games movie out. Prequel to the others, taking place during the 10th Hunger Games. Not likely to bother with this one. Enjoyed the first but the next three got progressively worse. The costumes and hairdos eventually got too much to bear. Perhaps someone could give some assessment of it.

Hunger Games. Only seen the 1st. Was ok. Maybe saw bits and pieces of the 2nd but a yeah naw from me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back