What are you currently watching?

Remove this Banner Ad

Winning Time: Rise of the Lakers Dynasty. (2022) (HBO via Foxtel)

My sort of show. John C Reilly could just about be reprising his role as "Reed Rothchild" from Boogie Nights (1997) in this show about the rise of the LA Lakers NBA basketball team during the 1970's. Reilly plays Mr. Jerry Buss, sorry, that is Dr. Buss; new owner of the Lakers; in a show that I personally was ambivalent about but now cannot wait for the next episode.

As a Boston Celtics fan at the time I really didn't know nor much care for their main rivals the Lakers but found this really interesting with a new team owner and the drafting of Magic Johnson.

If your offended by racism, sexism, language & nudity, this is not your show.

Last edited:
Recent:
1883. A prequel to Yellowstone. Well written and cast, wonderful cinematography, dramatical depiction of frontier justice with immigrants on a grueling wagon caravan journey across the US with the Dutton family. The story perhaps is a little too focused on the narration of the teenage daughter, who is the great aunt of John Dutton (Kevin Costner) in Yellowstone.
Good - solid story and character portrayal's. Bad - the expanding train networks at the time means half of their wagon journey from Texas to Montana or Oregon was historically unnecessary.

The Equalizer. A modern adaptation of Edward Woodward's 80's TV series, where an ex-CIA special operative goes vigilante to represent mainly victims of extortion, fraud or abuse. Think street level poor man's Person of Interest/Burn Notice/White Collar type show. Episode scripts are clunky in some barely believable scenario's and although it's fun, I'm not sure the viewing numbers will justify a season three..?
Good - Justice for normal people without the means is fun to watch. Bad - Queen Latifah, a middle age overweight woman being 'the equalizer' is not very believable.

Reacher. Jack Reacher, a former Army investigator, gets roped into solving a murder in a medium-sized Georgia town. A reboot of Tom Cruise's film franchise about a wandering ex-military badass is energetic and entertaining, fans will be pleased at not having a pipsqueak Reacher. Wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much as I did. Looking forward to season two..!
Good - Follows the books character's and storyline well. Bad - the sophistication of corruption in an outback town, while creative is borderline fantasy...

Winning Time: Rise of the Lakers Dynasty. (2022) (HBO via Foxtel)

My sort of show. John C Reilly could just about be reprising his role as "Reed Rothchild" from Boogie Nights (1997) in this show about the rise of the LA Lakers NBA basketball team during the 1970's. Reilly plays Mr. Jerry Buss, sorry, that is Dr. Buss; new owner of the Lakers; in a show that I personally was ambivalent about but now cannot wait for the next episode.

As a Boston Celtics fan at the time I really didn't know nor much care for their main rivals the Lakers but found this really interesting with a new team owner and the drafting of Magic Johnson.

If your offended by racism, sexism, language & nudity, this is not your show.

Is this an actual show based on the 80s Lakers or is it a docuseries a la Last Dance? Reckon I'll watch it, just need to figure out how.

Is this an actual show based on the 80s Lakers or is it a docuseries a la Last Dance? Reckon I'll watch it, just need to figure out how.

Dramatisation based on the actual LA Lakers and the taking over the franchise by Dr. Buss and the drafting of Magic Johnson.

John C Reilly actually narrates the show as Dr. Buss. Jerry West (played by Australia's own Jason Clarke comes out looking very bad).

Entertaining, well worth the effort to watch. IMHO.

Dramatisation based on the actual LA Lakers and the taking over the franchise by Dr. Buss and the drafting of Magic Johnson.

John C Reilly actually narrates the show as Dr. Buss. Jerry West (played by Australia's own Jason Clarke comes out looking very bad).

Entertaining, well worth the effort to watch. IMHO.
I thought it was a doco so got caught off gaurd in the first ep!

Don't mind it though . Agree not sure Jerry West would be super wrapt with how he looks in this .

OFF GRID LOG CABIN BUILD by Nik Rijavec is an online series on YouTube with three seasons so far.

It follows Nik constructing a big log cabin in the mountains of Slovenia, but don’t worry he describes everything in English. Amazing scenery and one man building a log cabin. From felling the trees to fit out, using basically a tractor, chain saw, cordless drill, cordless jigsaw and hand tools and what seems like millions of screws. Along the way he has help occasionally from a couple of friends and his wife and kids, but it’s mostly just him. He’s an ingenious problem solver, you’ll be amazed at what he does all by himself. He works so bloody hard, he must be a very fit person to front up to this work day after day. I started watching this during lockdown and just kept watching because it was so fascinating. Nice relaxing background music as well. Remarkable series!

https://www.youtube.com/c/nikrijavec47/featured

Better Call Saul S6 is streaming now.
So good.
I recall watching Breaking Bad and the Saul character really put me off, so I never watched this series. However, I recently watched a movie call Nobody and it gave me a whole new perspective on Bob Odendirk. I think I now have to re-visit this series.

Can highly recommend the movie Nobody, too.

Last edited:
I recall watching Breaking Bad and the Saul character really put me off, so I never watched this series. However, I recently watched a movie call Nobody and it gave me a whole new perspective on Bob Odendirk. I think I now have to re-visit this series.

Its darker and slower than BB but Saul is a far more clever and rewarding show.

BB, a fairly average guy turning bad.

Saul, a really good honest guy that is turned bad by his world.

Its a whole different pace to BB. Its quite clever and one that is very different to most.

I will check out Nobody. Cheers for the tip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the first season of After Life. It's really good. Packs quite an emotional punch.
Certainly a dark-comedy, particularly early on, as far as Gervais goes.
Lots of familiar faces throughout the three seasons if you happen to watch 8 out of 10 cats does countdown / most British comedy+quiz shows, as they all seem to appear on each others shows. And of course Walder Frey from GoT.

A bit of a deviation from The Office or An Idiot Abroad etc, but still incorporates his humour brilliantly.

Just watched the first season of After Life. It's really good. Packs quite an emotional punch.

One of the best shows going around. Seasons 2 & 3 pretty good too.

Finishing off Ozark. The final episodes from season 4 have just dropped on Netflix. Quality viewing. Season 1 at it's strongest, but the follow up seasons have been pretty good.

M I N O

Money Is No Object​

Just watched Ep 1 of an 8 part series on believe it or not, Disney plus titled" "Pam & Tommy" about Pamela Anderson & drummer Tommy Lee and how their sex tape made it onto the black market.

Seth Rogan; who is an EP as well was unrecognisable to me as Rand, the guy who gains access to the tape.

Being on Disney Plus they repeat the warnings about the content just in case you missed it the first time!

Like "Winning Time" I find it interesting to see dramatisations on events that actually happened or a version of events that actually happened.

Will keep watching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back