What are you Listening to?

Remove this Banner Ad

Really devastated by the loss of Eddie Van Halen. If you could play a Van Halen riff in High School you were the King. Would be one of the most influential musicians in the history of music. The Roth era Van Halen is for me the high point of Rock music. I know there will be Stones and Zeppelin fans ( of which I am one) but they weren’t my era. Van Halen was my era, even slightly before. Just fantastically innovative and ahead of every other rock band of their era. They were the soundtrack to my teenage years. A piece of my childhood died with Eddie Van Halen R.I.P

He would have been 80 today.

Most of us who grew up with the Beatles as an established act can tend to take them for granted, but looking back now in comparison to what has come over the intervening decades, nothing really comes close to what they managed to pump out in less than a decade.

Here's a selection of my favorite compositions that were mostly attributed to Lennon.

This last one could be my favorite. Apparently it's aimed at Mick Jagger & Marianne Faithful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really devastated by the loss of Eddie Van Halen. If you could play a Van Halen riff in High School you were the King. Would be one of the most influential musicians in the history of music. The Roth era Van Halen is for me the high point of Rock music. I know there will be Stones and Zeppelin fans ( of which I am one) but they weren’t my era. Van Halen was my era, even slightly before. Just fantastically innovative and ahead of every other rock band of their era. They were the soundtrack to my teenage years. A piece of my childhood died with Eddie Van Halen R.I.P

:thumbsu:

But I digress....

Classic stuff Deano.

If you look very closely there was a young blackshadow in the crowd of the live footage. The live stuff was filmed at The Picadilly Hotel in Kings Cross. They played Degenerate Boy about half a dozen times for the footage.

X were an absolute powerhouse. I lost count of how many times I saw them play. They could be erratic but when they were on I struggle to think of a better live band.

I miss Ian. :(

spoilt for choice that era, not like the dour desert we are in atm.

just one more for Eddie.

only a genius can play a set like that and smoke a cigarette at the same time.

I love hard rock guitar players but Eddie is almost impossible to accurately define. The best I can come up with is he’s technically brilliant and amazingly loose all at the same time. There’s every possibility that you’ll never get 20000 people that invested in a 12 minute guitar solo ever again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back