What do Essendon stand for as a club? What is their culture, fanbase, what makes them unique?

Remove this Banner Ad

For me, especially living in the East, I feel like Essendon have more "YAY Essendon" type of fans.

The type that go for Essendon because they like the colours.

I know there are plenty of proper fans, but the number of temporary fans that wouldn't know when they're playing next is quite large.

I don't feel this as much with any other fan base.

I do think this is mainly an Eastern part of the city thing, however if I do ever run into say a Doggies supporter, they properly love the game and their team.

As a Carlton fan, the roar at a Carlton v Pies game or a Carlton v Tigers game is next level compared to an Essendon game.

For a team equal most successful with a "large" fan base, the OP's description is exactly how I feel about them

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

The biggest and the best.

You can’t find a stereotype because there isn’t one.

Essendon doesn’t have class identity because we’re above that s**t. Everybody goes for Essendon.

Essendon doesn’t have geographic identity because we’re way too big for that. Everybody goes for Essendon.

The supporter group is enormous and absolutely everywhere, the numbers Essendon have after the past two decades of s**t are disgustingly massive. Other clubs would have been and have been nearly dead after a period like this.

We went to Launceston to play Hawthorn during COVID and the crowd was 3:1 in Essendon’s favour after Hawthorn spent 20 years working the place and selling their home games there. There are Essendon jumpers everywhere in the Top End. We have thousands of supporters in Perth. Our games at the Gabba (I’ve been to a few) are 50/50 in terms of the crowd.

When Essendon finally has success again it’ll be a juggernaut that dwarfs all others, just like it did 20 years ago. They all know it.

Oh and we’re now the most hated club by a ridiculous margin, which is nice. Check any of the polls that anyone starts. It’s not even slightly close.
Meh you haven't won a finals game in almost twenty years, and you never won three VFL/AFL flags in a row either.;)

For me, especially living in the East, I feel like Essendon have more "YAY Essendon" type of fans.

The type that go for Essendon because they like the colours.

I know there are plenty of proper fans, but the number of temporary fans that wouldn't know when they're playing next is quite large.

I don't feel this as much with any other fan base.

I do think this is mainly an Eastern part of the city thing, however if I do ever run into say a Doggies supporter, they properly love the game and their team.

As a Carlton fan, the roar at a Carlton v Pies game or a Carlton v Tigers game is next level compared to an Essendon game.

For a team equal most successful with a "large" fan base, the OP's description is exactly how I feel about them

What bs. Essendons crowds and support relative to what it’s been through on and off field the last 20 years leaves almost every club in its wake.

Rofl, Carlton.

They haven't played finals for 10 years (and that was a default finals berth after finishing 9th). They haven't made the finals under their own steam in 12 years. Essendon made the finals in 2011, 2014, 2017, 2019 and 2021.

They haven't made the Top 4 (where you need to be to win flags) for 23 years and they haven't won a flag for 28 years.

They're modern footy's greatest failure.

Apparently they're "back" because they had half a good season off the back of a piss-easy early season fixture.

Christ, I hope Essendon aren't considered to be back in town after a few good weeks and not even making the finals.
Hmm this post aged well.

And yet this is my experience.

I would love to know what Richmond and Pies fans make of the noise playing Essendon v playing the other big 4 teams

Essendon never got over the drugs saga, and the ominous presence of Sheeds still looms large over the club.

Until Essendon address these issues then they'll continue to have problems imo.

The club is living a lie and so are severely compromised.
Only the truth can set them free and only then can they truly begin the journey to relevancy.

Until then … Enjoy !!!

IMG_0793.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know a single Essendon person who isn't still helplessly devoted to the club even after all the s**t it's put us through over the last ~15 years.
Our supporters haven't checked out. We still show up. We are miserable and cynical and self deprecating as a defence mechanism...
If we ever make top 4, god forbid win a flag again it will be crazy scenes and our supporters on bigfooty will make peak Hawks and Richmond smugposters seem like jehovas witnesses.
lol

is this loss to GWS worse than the thrashings wce and north received? (by margin)
By far. Absolutely worse.

WC and North are genuinely awful. Worst I’ve seen for a long time. I remember Fremantle being terrible at one point, Sydney in the mid nineties prior to Lockett, Fitzroy obviously.

For Essendon to lose like this is genuinely bad. A side that may have been playing finals and a side that’s had so much time to develop, it’s almost panic stations. Hawthorn has probably gone past them.

lost a lot of fans permanently through the drugs/doping saga
I’m sure they lost a few. That said, their crowds this year and membership indicates it’s still as popular as any club, Collingwood aside. Embarrassing a club it is. Its support metrics remain a point of envy. Just like Carlton the last 24 months, when Essendon get its act together, their crowds and membership will remind many, especially the younger footy fans, how popular it is. This hopeless club still has 86K members and will draw 1.080M through the gates in 2023, despite a fixture with more off broadway time slots than its other Big 4 rivals.

Last edited:
I’m sure they lost a few. That said, their crowds this year and membership indicates it’s still as popular as any club, Collingwood aside.
They are popular. They’ve got a massive fan base, but the club is drinking the kool aid if it listens to anything the old guard have to say. James Hird was a disaster and Sheedy was the only clown endorsing him. If Sheedy is still involved he shouldn’t be.

They are popular. They’ve got a massive fan base, but the club is drinking the kool aid if it listens to anything the old guard have to say. James Hird was a disaster and Sheedy was the only clown endorsing him. If Sheedy is still involved he shouldn’t be.
The cultural change is now underway. Not everything can be changed immediately. There’s lots going on off the field that will take a bit of time to work through. The outcomes of change should come through over the next 24 months.

The most embarrassing thing about my club is that a club more irrelevant than ours is seemingly ahead because they may finally win a final off there own back and have the right to pile on to our steaming pile of manure rightfully

We may have finally hit ground zero and fingers crossed the man even Essendon supporters know is the toxic cancer may finally be removed

They are popular. They’ve got a massive fan base, but the club is drinking the kool aid if it listens to anything the old guard have to say.

Essendon likes to shout from the hills that we are a "big 4" club but have no real substance behind it. Marketing, off field, and everything in between is like this but the actual reason a football club exists is closing in on bottom 4 now.

If we ever get the on field s**t together then we'll be bigger than Richmond in there recent dynasty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back