Roast What does this club stand for?

Remove this Banner Ad

Over the last 15 years I am not sure anyone knows.
Sort of reminds me of when I was young and starting out as a Bomber fan through the 70's. We where the nice middle of the road club with some good players but no one really feared us until Mr Sheedy turned up . We where that meh as a club that we where all excited to just make the GD in 83 even though we got pumped.
I know the story how he turned our mentality around. Obviously we need another hard nut but in today’s footy that probably won’t work either. Love him or hate him, you’ve got to admire Clarkson and how he has gone about it. Worsfold was a hard nut but I’m not sure anymore. What’s worse is I have no idea who can replace John.

...That’s depressingly accurate :huh:
i felt sad after writing it. i opened a bottle of red to go with tonights dinner.

Shortly after, i received an email from someone at work looking for some info. The structure of the email and the nature of the ask reeked of the standard we put up as a club.

:(

This after watching Lloris drop a ball onto his defenders foot early this morning.

Mediocrity surrounds me.

i felt sad after writing it. i opened a bottle of red to go with tonights dinner.

Shortly after, i received an email from someone at work looking for some info. The structure of the email and the nature of the ask reeked of the standard we put up as a club.

:(

This after watching Lloris drop a ball onto his defenders foot early this morning.

Mediocrity surrounds me.
Can you at least take solace in the fact that it made me happy?

I know the story how he turned our mentality around. Obviously we need another hard nut but in today’s footy that probably won’t work either. Love him or hate him, you’ve got to admire Clarkson and how he has gone about it. Worsfold was a hard nut but I’m not sure anymore. What’s worse is I have no idea who can replace John.
this is a tough one
Rutten is an unknown. We've spent too long assembling this list to hand it to a rookie coach.
We've done the rookie coach route with Hird and Knights
We've done the premiership coach route with Bomber and Woosha.

If i look at clubs who are doing well, its those that set up a process to pick their next coach.
We had a nod to that prior to Worsfold, but it felt like we did that so we could say there was a process. And Woosha was always going to be offered the role

If its Rutten, then Woosha sees the next two years out.
We likely lose TBC, Myers & Hooker from our starting 22. But the remaining list is young enough. And we'll add to it.

If its Rutten in 2021, then he needs to be having input into the players we pick and target.
If he wants us having a dip at Kelly or Cogs, we should. And if he wants to put a player up to make room for them, we should put them up.

And tell the fans.
FFS - stop this top 4/finals promise/be patient crap
If we're transitioning, tell us. Ill cop the current form and a couple more years outside finals if there was confirmation this is all part of a plan.

The club is now soft.

We have seen Essendon sides with real hunger. They destroy teams they should and don't take a backwards step against the best.

Hawthorn were the same back in the 80's and 90's - had a tough time in the early 2000's but drew the line in the sand and turned it around. They refused to stay down.

If we had 4 or 5 real leaders on the ground we would have worked out how to take the points against St Kilda despite playing like rubbish - but no.

We lack the courage of leadership these days and it's terrible.

I got home from work today and emptied my pockets to find my Essendon members 2019 key ring had broken.

No kidding.

About sums it up.

Last edited:
As a club we have been a long way off the pace for at least 15 years. We hung on to sheeds for at least 5 years too long because our boards and directors have been unable to make tough calls. It’s always been the easy option. The saga would have been tough for any board I’ll admit that but we tried to work our way through with favourite sons. Maybe our boards have been to emotional(much like a standard supporter) and just haven’t made good football decisions. It all filters down and we just look like a soft club. There are guys who have played 100 games for Essendon that wouldn’t have got to 20 at other clubs because we don’t make tough calls on guys who might be half decent blokes.
I don’t know what we stand for because we’re simply to nice. Nice ain’t going to cut it in modern professional sport...
Sigh...

It went to s**t when McMahon finished. All starts at the top.

Whoever comes in next has to be willing to take a hard line with the players. Players have to understand they need to earn their spot in the team, and then they have to keep fighting for it. If they don't perform then it's back to the 2's. If the players don't have that threat then they become complacent... and let's face it our players have been complacent for a very long time.

I couldn't see Clarkson accepting bad performances and half-arsed efforts. I don't think players like Zaka would survive under Clarkson unless they upped their game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Riewoldt says we're playing "survival mode footy".

“Survival mode is real for all players. We’ve all been there as part of teams that are struggling, as individuals that are struggling performance-wise — and it’s clear the Bombers are playing survival mode footy,” Riewoldt told AFL 360.

“What it looks like is your vision on the field narrows. It becomes very singular in focus, because all the external noise, the external smashing, the pressure — it really does become: ‘What am I doing on the field?’”
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...y/news-story/d0d4bfef9641220c16553d512ca9dd07

Last edited by a moderator:
All week, we've heard Woosha and Heppell say that we do not stand for last week's performance. Woosha and our leadership group questioned the whole playing group to ask what we stand for as a team. Fast forward to the second quarter of the following game and we're getting thrashed by a team who barely beat the supposed "worst team in the competition". So I ask you the question bigfooty. What do we stand for?

I think we're that partner who keeps messing around telling you they will change but never do.
All off-season, the players and coaches have been telling us that they've prepared well to avoid starting like we did last year. They've branded the year as "no excuses".
Let's see how that went.

Here are some of the quotes coming from the club in the past 4 months:

Skipworth before JLT

You mean we've finally learned from our mistakes?
[IMG='width:380px;']https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ReflectingVictoriousGermanpinscher-small.gif[/IMG]

Ben Rutten on our website before JLT:

Oh no way. Wow. Defensive and offensive at the same time? Is this even Essendon?
[IMG='width:373px;']https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/mobile/000/023/180/notsurprisedkirk.jpg[/IMG]

After JLT loss vs Geelong
Zach Merrett:

But didn't your m8 Skipworth say that we take every game seriously? Ah. You're holding your cards close to your chest. Smart.
[IMG='width:359px;']https://media.giphy.com/media/d3mlE7uhX8KFgEmY/giphy.gif[/IMG]

Xavier Campbell in the lead up to the season (after the two JLT losses):

[IMG='width:406px;']https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LikelyThirstyCutworm-max-1mb.gif[/IMG]

Heppell in the lead up to the season opener:

[IMG='width:410px;']https://media1.giphy.com/media/3oKIPbNb1vWdftiVLq/giphy.gif[/IMG]

So did everyone buy into it? After all, JLT is about learning from your opposition right? I'm pumped now! Let's go!

GWS 16.16 - 112
ESS 5.10 - 40

giphy.gif

John Worsfold:

I know right?

tenor.gif

Please tell me what it's about.

Oh so it's about how you respond. Okay. After all, we do start favourites this time around right?
Let's see how you as a leader respond Woosha.

In: Parish
Out: Ridley

giphy.gif

I wonder how proud you were of Ridley. Wait hang on. I think Woosha will tell us why Ridley was dropped.

How was our best line-up?
[IMG='width:413px;']https://media.giphy.com/media/8hSPD2Yn4PuUM/giphy.gif[/IMG]

This is a direct quote from the article on our website after losing to St Kilda:

giphy.gif

Sorry. Continue Woosha. That was rude of me.

[IMG='width:377px;']https://media3.giphy.com/media/l0Ex7a4XoPyebQmKQ/giphy.gif[/IMG]

I could keep going on and on about it, but the point is very clear. This club needs an investigation.
Woosha: It’s a really disappointing result and we’re hurting.

I can feel the pain from here. Look at the devastation.

Last edited:
I was told by an Essendon matenof mine about 5 years ago that we would never be successful until everyone involved in the drug saga is gone.

I laughed at him.

I now beleive him.

Heppell is only 26...

We are ****ed.

Essington, founded in 2002 is the fake, veggie-sausage, Clayton’s version of, and not the confused with, the former great Essendon Football Club. (Founded 1872, last seen during the 2000-2001 period).

It (Essington) stands for bruise-free paychecks (players) and parasitic, charisma-free mercenaries (admin and coaching staff)

Current objective : obliterate anything related to the actual real Essendon era, and fulfil long-running AFL agenda of letting every other team catch up to our premiership tally before we can win our next one.

This club used to stand for hard work and success.

We have stood for mediocrity for the last 15 years. And the way it looks right now, it isn't going to change in the foreseeable future

Remove this Banner Ad

Back