Autopsy What have you liked, learnt or hated from Round 8, 2016?

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked - Lloyd after the siren - awesome way to win a game.

Learnt - Blues join the Saints and Dees as no longer being easy beats - although they will have lapses and the odd hiding they have all improved and all can be dangerous.

Hated - deliberate out of bounds - the Josh Bruce one joins Luke McDonalds for the worst decision of the year. Good rule but the umpires need to have a better feel for what a player is trying to do.

Liked: Richmond. I love that they're perennially hopeless, but there is no team aside from my own that I enjoy watching succeed because a) they're actually great to watch when they're playing well, and b) their fans are unique and have an enthusiasm that is hard to compare.

Learned: Sydney aren't quite as good as I thought before this round. Still decent but Saturday showed the Lions game wasn't a total abberation.

Hated: Geelong's kicking. It will hurt us big time soon if we don't fix it. Also, Brisbane playing so badly. As someone from a league state (who loves NRL as well) I want the game to do well there. I saw a picture of a boy on Twitter, maybe 6-7 y/o, decked out in his Lions gear, smiling hopefully at half-time. My heart sank for him knowing that he might have to wait until he's a grown man to have anything worth cheering about.

Liked...Richmond supporters going nuts
Lloyd so clutch
Richmond getting kissed on the dick with that lucky bounce of the ball to Jack Reiwoldt
Brendan Bolton and Carlton

Hated... Hawthorn's inability to play four quarters
Parkers inability to seal that game running into an open goal
Sydney's inability to ice a game with 50 seconds left

Learnt... Sydney may be a tad overrated
Port's year is a mirror image of last year
i'm an idiot for thinking Port and Freo were going to be contenders this year
Geelong are the team to beat

I have watched the last five minutes of the Swans v Tigers game a few times. I still cannot understand why Sydney kept bombing it long into their forward line, and not just ice the clock. On at least three occasions, there was a free kick or a mark where the Swans had numerous players open about 30m laterally. Could have easily milked some time for a guaranteed win. But nope, bomb it long.

And that tackle in Sydney's forward 50 as the Swans player was about to kick for goal... wow.

Liked: brendan bolton and his coaching style

learnt: a week is a long time in football for a young team (richmond, collingwood, stkilda)

hated: umpiring - it is as bad as i've ever seen.

Liked/loved - Game of the season Saturday night that I have seen. Was on my feet willing Lloyds kick to go through.

Learnt - West Coast may be downhill skiers but Collingwood are not far behind, can they prove everyone wrong this week against the Cats?

Hated - Only a handful tried yesterday at Subi, the rest may as well have been sitting in the crowd.

Im glad Im not the only the that loved Saturday night, clearly the last quarter was as good as it gets for afl footy.

Hated Carlton ruining my perfect tipping this weekend.

Liked - Carlton. 4-4. How can you not like what they're doing? Basket case in 2015, basket case under MM, and now showing signs of real improvement. Above Richmond and Collingwood, and on par with Melbourne. Huge.

Geelong. Getting it done away from home. Have the attributes of a genuine premiership contender.

Learnt - Adelaide aren't top 4 material, and maybe only making up the numbers. Walker is the barometer and he is badly out of form. Their forward line is not working and it's showing.

If there is a radar, Hawthorn are under it. Doing enough without setting the world on fire. Some big names to come back in, and that'll be reassuring for them. Doing what they need to do at this point in time.

Hated - Taylor Walker. This bloke should be owning their forward line and be kicking 4 a week. Not good to see such a presence not influence a game.

Liked: Has to be Carlton and the fact that heart and effort can still win games

Learned: Swans can lose the plot and play poorly

Hated: The entire AFL world seeming to try and weaken us when we're nice people really. Just trying to make our way in the big scary world of AFL and dreaming of palying finals one day

Liked: Kruezer winning it for the Blues. Tigers crowd. Verstappen. What a weekend of sport.
Jacob Hopper. Quietest debate in rising star history.
Charlie Cameron. He has a lot of strength and nous. Flying under the radar but could be the bull in the middle to replace Danger

Learned: What it feels like to be proud of a loss...it feels weird. i don't get it.
First loss to the Roos that hasn't ruined my weekend though.

Hated: Kruezer injury. I really want to see him have a full season. So important to Carlton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved- Squiggle! 100point shellacking :D
Liked- Richmond's win against Sydney :D (and the amazing celebrations after the *after the siren* 1 point win)
Learned- Geelong deserve to be premiership favourites (they're the only team to beat a top 8 team interstate)
Hated- Hate is a little strong, but I disliked how Port's inaccuracy/loss ruined my tipping (especially as we will play them next week on the rebound)

Liked - Richmond playing well and Lloyd's goal after the siren. I may find myself watching this game to cheer me up everytime we lose this year lol.

Disliked - Brisbane. St Kilda played West Coast in Perth so that was a tough match to begin with, as did Gold Coast against GWS in Sydney, but that was your home turf against a struggling Collingwood. At least Melbourne are on the up and were narrowly leading against Gold Coast at half time. To get schooled like that was probably the most disappointing game of 2016. You gotta say enough is enough and force your way up the ladder. Carlton is already doing this after winning the wooden spoon last year.

Learnt: There were a couple of things

- Geelong are the team to beat this year.

- Adelaide may have had their top 4 hopes dashed in the last 2 weeks. 16-6 is what I'd say they cut-off for the top 4 would be, and with a record of 4-4 with GWS, Port Adelaide, North Melbourne, Geelong (SS), West Coast (DS) and Melbourne (MCG) to come, I am not sure they'll make the top 4 (yeah I included Melbourne because they are not that bad this year). They are probably still likely to make the top 8 with this draw though. I can see them winning at least 14 games this season.

- I don't know where to put Collingwood and Port Adelaide this year. Are they just good at smashing the bottom teams, or do they actually have merit? Both smashed Brisbane and Essendon, but lost to Carlton in the last 2 weeks. I just don't know. Could make finals, could crash out.

- Richmond may not be done this year. This could be a confidence booster to make a late charge for the finals, but they actually don't have an easy draw this year with Bulldogs (Etihad), GWS (Canberra), Port Adelaide (AO), Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney (SCG) and North Melbourne (Blundstone) still to come. You'd want to rule them out already with those teams still to come, but you just don't know with Richmond. They lost three EFs in a row, so perhaps they could make a charge to the finals after a bad start three years in a row.

Liked: Richmond showing character
Learned: Brisbane fans maybe don't care as much as one GC fan, nobody spitting venom at them
Hated: I can't remember anything particularly hate-worthy o_O

Liked: Corey Enright still going strong
LLoyyyyd after the siren kick
Brendon Bolton, the bluebaggers are in good hands.... now give him a decent contract!

Learnt:The Swans might not be as good as people think they are, fast becoming over reliant on Buddy!
QLD football is a one team state, merge them both before it gets even uglier!
Confirmed: West Coast are total flat track bullies!

Hated: Geelong kicking for goal
Saints and Lions performances
Deliberate out of bounds.....the Umpires just don't get it!

Share your thoughts with us.
1. My first hate is the forgone conclusion of the match between Eagles and the Saints in Perth. Before the ball bounced the result was there. Forget about the first few minutes. We have a 2nd division developing, fact!

2. Essendon, I learnt were very very strong losing to North and have great potential even though being robbed by bulldust of top players , they will return.

3. QLD Football is in dire straights , because of expansion.

4. GWS will fail when they move into the inevitable down side rebuilding that all clubs do. The spectators will disappear . Even if they win an AFL backed GF.
This will happen. The rules are still confusing , no one talks about it, least of all the AFL????

5. Watched football on NITV last night from Northern Territory, it was open skilful , fast, RARELY A PACK IN SITE.

MOST IMPORTANT..
Worst thing, non football , the news of Jarrod Roughhead, devastating , but lets all be positive for him , he can stay in front of it and get rid of it!!!

5. Watched football on NITV last night from Northern Territory, it was open skilful , fast, RARELY A PACK IN SITE.

ditto, it was actually a pleasure to watch some flowing footy, there are some real "undiscovered" talents in that league, and probably quite a few who could play AFL but choose not to.

Liked:

Essendon fans cheering their side off. Good to see fans recognising effort and despite flogs on here spinning it as accepting mediocrity, the fact remains that in trying circumstances, they fought the game out.

Learned:

Hawks aren't invincible and needed a third quarter blitz plus spectacular favourtism from the umpires to beat the bottom team

Geelong are the premiership favourites for mine

Hated:

Umpiring - That second half umpiring performance in Launceston was a stuff of legend, just truly awe-inspiring.

The first 8 weeks as a whole - Had absolutely nothing to celebrate at all :( add that to my local team being 5 straight losses to open the year and I'm currently sitting on 13 losses in football from 13 games.

Liked the Heart Carlton showed when the game was on the line
Enjoyed the Tigers Swans finish to the game ..that ball bounce lol
Hated the Lions and saints efforts..not much heart shown there.
Hated injuries to key players and the news of Roughie :(

Liked:

Essendon fans cheering their side off. Good to see fans recognising effort and despite flogs on here spinning it as accepting mediocrity, the fact remains that in trying circumstances, they fought the game out.

Learned:

Hawks aren't invincible and needed a third quarter blitz plus spectacular favourtism from the umpires to beat the bottom team

Hated:

Umpiring - That second half umpiring performance in Launceston was a stuff of legend, just truly awe-inspiring.

The first 8 weeks as a whole - Had absolutely nothing to celebrate at all :( add that to my local team being 5 straight losses to open the year and I'm currently sitting on 13 losses in football from 13 games.

I agree, I had some angry moments earlier on for frees against Hawthorn , but Freo copped frees in the third and fourth against them , that I couldn't work out.
We all suffer, until the AFL takes notice and stand up and re assesses the thinking behind the tiggy touchwood free kicks.
Just a couple of questions to everyone.

If you touch lightly an opponent on the back whilst both of you are going for the ball and the touch is barely visible , should that be a free to the bloke in front , what else can he the fellow behind do ??? Stand and watch, is that a free in the back?

Then if a player shoves an opponent fair square and 'PUSHES " him in the back now that's "in the back"!!
The AFL brings in feather touch frees to get forwards more goals , to make the game exiting??? Well no it doesn't it makes spectators baffled and frustrated!

If two players are both running for the ball and one grabs it and with momentum the player just behind "FALLS" into his back is that a free, or a ball up, its called a free by some and not by others adjudicating????

If a player is caught with the ball long enough to be spun around in a circle but doesn't drop the ball or manages after an "eternity" to "get rid of it" to me he is caught and holding the ball??????
But no, caught seems gone , but dropping the ball after tackle is called a free, yes /no , because this season the amount of time a tackled player can hold on to the ball, it appears to me to be much longer and THAT IS HOLDING THE BALL /CAUGHT WITH BALL!! Has been forever , any thoughts?

Is a mild touch of the arms or a light arm touching a shoulder a free kick or incidental touching ??? Apparently it is a free most cases depending on the umpire.
To me its unfair and a perception decision, from each umpire as an individual .
And once again leaves the defender barely a choice but to try and punch the ball and be free kicked against for touching the arm or shoulder, WHAT SHOULD HE DO STAND AND WATCH???

SHOULD UMPIRES ALLOW THROWS IN HEAVY TRAFFIC PACK FOOTBALL, THAT MAKES THE TRAFFIC HEAVIER, AND LOCKS UP PACKS AND THE LOOK IS HORRIBLE!
Is momentum of the body, when all players are at full tilt, fair to be used as a reason for free kicks when forward motion is inevitable and unavoidable.

I ask once again AFL, what is a player meant to do if he thinks he may be sending his body forward with inertia quite strong that he accidently lays weight on his opponent should he pull up and wait while his man takes off with the ball???

Out of bounds deliberately, saw Nettlefold do that for Fitzroy in 1986 last night on Mike Sheehans interveiw with Micky Conlon, Mick said that it was the first time and the last time he saw deliberate out of bounds given as a free , won the game for the Hawks, that free.

WHAT ELSE WAS HE SUPPOSED TO DO AFL?????????????????? As we see this stupid rule supposedly to cut out packs , well it doesn't , when the scramble is on to keep the ball in , we either get a throw in or a close to the line pack. The packs are worse than before now.
There's more about the games grey rules , you could go on forever, its not the umpires its the people behind the scenes in the rules committees that have created a monster for the umpires. Who the hell are they and surely you BF people and all AFL followers see these things.

Sorry BF I 've raved again , but this is still the best sport on planet earth, when you allow adjudication to create wins and loss s' something is dreadfully wrong!
The AFL is changing it bit by bit, and in doing so is killing it.

Until people with influence in all the clubs administration start looking and asking , we won't recognise this sport of OURS at all.
So I won't stop whinging .
Any one got an opinion!?

1. My first hate is the forgone conclusion of the match between Eagles and the Saints in Perth. Before the ball bounced the result was there. Forget about the first few minutes. We have a 2nd division developing, fact!

2. Essendon, I learnt were very very strong losing to North and have great potential even though being robbed by bulldust of top players , they will return.

3. QLD Football is in dire straights , because of expansion.

4. GWS will fail when they move into the inevitable down side rebuilding that all clubs do. The spectators will disappear . Even if they win an AFL backed GF.
This will happen. The rules are still confusing , no one talks about it, least of all the AFL????

MOST IMPORTANT..
Worst thing, non football , the news of Jarrod Roughhead, devastating , but lets all be positive for him , he can stay in front of it and get rid of it!!!
How could you possibly learn GWS will fail in the future from a win in excess of 10 goals. Your certainly entitled to your opinion but thats not thris thread

Learned: Essendon really are at rock bottom, fans on their feet cheering and calling it an emotional game because they came back a bit after scoring 4 points in the first half and still losing the game. Past Essendon greats would be rolling in their graves seeing what has become of a once proud club.

Some of us support our clubs through thick and thin, as opposed to disappearing for 15 years, and reemerging once you're back in preliminary finals.
Must be terrible letting young/inexperienced players know that we appreciate what they're doing.
Right now, mediocrity is not getting flogged, which is good for the morale of the players, we were never going to be world beaters this year.

Liked:

Learned:

Hated:

Freo would have been goalless in the 1st if not for a soft free and a ridiculous 50m. But yeah the umps cost Freo the game.

Liked - after the siren goal. Truly the best thing in our game.

Learned - Swans defence struggles if the mids have a bad night.

Hated - the news about Roughie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back