What is the biggest rivalry in the AFL?

The biggest rivalry in the AFL?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood v Essendon is an odd one. Despite having 31 flags between them, they've only met in GFs four times, and three of those occurred before 1912.

I'd go as far as saying that the current rivalry between the two was borne of Anzac Day, and even then it is more of a respectful rivalry, one old hat tipped to another type thing. Not really a lot of hatred there.

At the other end of the scale, Carlton v Essendon is pure, unbridled hatred. I despise the blue scum. That is personally the biggest rivalry.

Collingwood v Essendon is an odd one. Despite having 31 flags between them, they've only met in GFs four times, and three of those occurred before 1912.

I'd go as far as saying that the current rivalry between the two was borne of Anzac Day, and even then it is more of a respectful rivalry, one old hat tipped to another type thing. Not really a lot of hatred there.

At the other end of the scale, Carlton v Essendon is pure, unbridled hatred. I despise the blue scum. That is personally the biggest rivalry.
feelings mutual !!

No one gave a stuff about Hawthorn vs Geelong in 2006, the last time both sides missed the finals. No one will give a stuff the next time they're both out.

Doesn't even compare to the Showdown, which somehow has less votes right now.

Crows v Power.
there is no way I can describe my hatred for Port.... its at a new level. The look of their players, their fans, seeing anyone in the streets wearing a port top or hat makes my blood boil, I HATE THEM more than anything in the world. its not banter for me when it comes to footy insults when it comes to crows/port.. its serious. I hate them!!!

The Showdown is one club up against a whole league, 7 pissed off small clubs with nothing going for them (and Norwood) and pretty much a whole state.

Showdown all the way for me.

Hawks & Bombers should be on that list before at least half of the one's listed....Ahead of the Bombers vs Tigers rivalry....Lets not get Dreamtime & other fabricated, phoney rivalries, mixed up with true mutual hatred here.
Whilst I agree, I still hate Richmond. They're definitely not a fabricated rival.

Traditionally, Carlton v Collingwood. Collingwood v Melbourne was the biggest rivalry back in the 50s and 60s IMO - shame Melbourne has been so devoid of any success for so long. Even late 80s when both teams had a renaissance of sorts, it sort of lifted again, but still, never regained the same heights.

Geelong v Hawthorn is the greatest modern-day rivalry. Both successful, games are always close, and the history between the two clubs, barring the 1963 Grand FInal really doesn't go back too far, so everything is fairly recent.

West Coast-Sydney, other than a few close results and two Grand Finals really has fizzled. It was a short-term thing...

On Wikipedia, some idiot decided to write how Fremantle and St Kilda shared a rivalry, all because of 'Sirengate", which was just stupid.
Basically, they decided that St Kilda had a rivalry with FileZilla UC Browser Rufus everybody...
I dont see how you can cut the derby.two teams that have a genuine dislike for each other and the recent surge of freo in recent years is just fuel to the fire.

Last edited:
Adelaide and Port Adelaide for mine. There just seems to be some absolute hate between the sides and their fans. This rivalry is the closest to English soccer for mine where many supports will judge, in part, the success of a season by winning the showdown.

The Geelong and Hawthorn rivalry was absolutely epic from 2008 until 2017. It's starting to somewhat decline with so many champions from both sides retiring. It's still massive amongst fans but.

Essendon and Collingwood is always a big rivalry. It's hard to gauge but as Anzac day in itself is a massive occasion.

No rivalry with Carlton is relevant and hasn't been for a long time.

Collingwood and Richmond.

If these two teams meet in a grand final then look out city of Melbourne.

Back