Analysis What The Heck Happened vs Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Mattner take any credit for the defensive set-up? We more than matched Lyon's usual tight defensive action, and it seems to me we're a lot more solid across the field in our defence now.

All in all, I felt it was a solid win, given Freo have been travelling quite well, and Fyffe was outstanding as usual.
My only complaint about Mattner this year has been that handball from a point scatterbrain fart

Brainfartigan's mistake in the last quarter was totally unacceptable. We need to structure somebody to offer a short option to Hartigan because if he's forced to kick 40m, that ball is going straight to the opposition. It's a shame really because he had a pretty good game otherwise.
He had a safer, shorter, wider option in that same pocket. He chose to go for the slightly more ambitious option... and blew it.

Needs to have the ambition beaten out of him.

I'm just warming up.

No, you're really not.

Come on, how is this even controversial? That people should watch games before offering their opinions on what transpired within them?

It's bare minimum stuff.

Are you really fighting for your right to offer uninformed opinion? Why?

Brainfartigan's mistake in the last quarter was totally unacceptable. We need to structure somebody to offer a short option to Hartigan because if he's forced to kick 40m, that ball is going straight to the opposition. It's a shame really because he had a pretty good game otherwise.
Just the opposite I thought. He should have booted it as far as he could down the line. Instead he went for a cute 20m pass in a congested backline and hit the freo player on the tit

No, you're really not.

Come on, how is this even controversial? That people should watch games before offering their opinions on what transpired within them?

It's bare minimum stuff.

Are you really fighting for your right to offer uninformed opinion? Why?
Unless he edited it, I think you’ve completely misunderstood his comment.

Unless he edited it, I think you’ve completely misunderstood his comment.

Look, a team of sherpas could lead me for months and I'm not sure I'd be capable of finding the point amidst all of that, but the one identifiable theme to date has been a sense of grievance at having an opinion discounted for not having seen the game?

Absolutely correct! However, some bias is noted here because Knight's equal howler in the first should receive the same condemnation, n'est ce pas? Why are we not going on and on about that?

Absolutely correct! However, some bias is noted here because Knight's equal howler in the first should receive the same condemnation, n'est ce pas? Why are we not going on and on about that?
Because Hartigan has a long history of being a turnover merchant. Even opposition fans have told me they always hope the ball comes his way because there's a good chance of a turnover.

Because Hartigan has a long history of being a turnover merchant. Even opposition fans have told me they always hope the ball comes his way because there's a good chance of a turnover.
Yep- given it’s a well known issue, you’d think by now he’d learn to play within his limitations. Just stop the short kicks across the backline when the opposition is around, and play the safe option.

Look, a team of sherpas could lead me for months and I'm not sure I'd be capable of finding the point amidst all of that, but the one identifiable theme to date has been a sense of grievance at having an opinion discounted for not having seen the game?

No, a sense of grievance at being accused of having an opinion for not having seen the game when he explicitly stated that he hadn’t seen the game and wasn’t offering an opinion on it, rather just observing the range of opinions that others had offered

Sanders has got this completely wrong and for some reason is keeping on with it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep- given it’s a well known issue, you’d think by now he’d learn to play within his limitations. Just stop the short kicks across the backline when the opposition is around, and play the safe option.
His short range game isn't great either though. Those "safe" options aren't as safe as they should be because of he's easily panicked and has habit for burning the ball. I could see our coaches instructing him to go long because of this, but he doesn't get enough penetration on his kicks. Multiple times this season, I've seen him turn the ball over with kicks that fell about 10m short of where they should of been.

No, a sense of grievance at being accused of having an opinion for not having seen the game when he explicitly stated that he hadn’t seen the game and wasn’t offering an opinion on it, rather just observing the range of opinions that others had offered

Setting aside that I think this is completely the wrong take, it’s not much of a positive spin now is it?

Inserting yourself into a discussion about someone’s game day performance by rehashing what has already been said by others

Not exactly a vital contribution and that’s taking the very best interpretation imaginable

I think there was a position being advanced though. It wasn't a mere collage of the opinion of others, they were presented to advance an argument.

Setting aside that I think this is completely the wrong take, it’s not much of a positive spin now is it?

Inserting yourself into a discussion about someone’s game day performance by rehashing what has already been said by others

Not exactly a vital contribution and that’s taking the very best interpretation imaginable

So is he not allowed to make a non-vital contribution? Isn’t this an Internet forum where you can make any contribution no matter how “vital”?

“Rehashing”? Perhaps “referring to” as a way of commenting on the divergent opinions people hold about a player?

That also not allowed?

At least you’ve stepped back from your claim that he was commenting on CEYs performance without having seen it, when it was very clear he was doing no such thing

I think there was a position being advanced though. It wasn't a mere collage of the opinion of others, they were presented to advance an argument.

But not the one you or Sanders seemed to think it was. IIRC his opinion was about how divergent opinions about CEY were, not an opinion on whether CEY had played well in the Freo game

But not the one you or Sanders seemed to think it was. IIRC his opinion was about how divergent opinions about CEY were, not an opinion on whether CEY had played well in the Freo game

No, I don't accept that. It was introduced by way of an attempt to rebut an opinion expressed on CEY.

No, I don't accept that. It was introduced by way of an attempt to rebut an opinion expressed on CEY.

Ok I give up. Arguing with two people on behalf of someone else because sanders can’t read the original post properly, or thinks you shouldn’t post anything unless you’ve got something vital to say. As if he always does.

Goodnight

At least you’ve stepped back from your claim that he was commenting on CEYs performance without having seen it, when it was very clear he was doing no such thing

I find this bizarre, as it is not clear at all

Of course he was inserting himself into a discussion about CEY’s performance and trying to make an argument about it.

He was absolutely representing a view point.

Ok I give up. Arguing with two people on behalf of someone else because sanders can’t read the original post properly, or thinks you shouldn’t post anything unless you’ve got something vital to say. As if he always does.

Goodnight

You realise that there are alternative explanations, not all of which are as favourable to your skimmed hot take?

Good

Remove this Banner Ad

Back