List Mgmt. What to do with McCartin?

Remove this Banner Ad

Joey tipped this move in his pre-season commentary that was posted on our website.
So it’s not as new as we’d like.
I said it early last year but it was just an opinion. I’ve got to doubt it was a long term plan to play him back because we had the perfect opportunity to do it this year yet those chose battle. I’d say it’s come up now because we have no other option. He isn’t an afl forward and he is the number one pick. No point delisted without trying everything. I think it’s a moot point because I doubt he plays again.

it won't work. he's just far too slow off the mark and lacks height. also the last instance of paddy's concussion had him running back with the flight of the ball. that's more likely to happen with him playing in defence.

it's a pretty silly comment from richo tbh
Yeh, just echoing a VDS post.
If you’ve got a moment, see if you can find his interview from last night.
It’s all about context.
Thought he handled this question quite well.
Among other difficult questions.
No different than what he did with either Dempster and Stevens.
I posted separately about this in the media thread.
He handled a very difficult question (especially given the sensitivity and privacy issues) very well.
He deserves our praise not criticism.

it won't work. he's just far too slow off the mark and lacks height. also the last instance of paddy's concussion had him running back with the flight of the ball. that's more likely to happen with him playing in defence.

it's a pretty silly comment from richo tbh
Looks similar to McGovern. More likely to be running back with the flight of the ball as a forward. More likely punching from behind as a back. Comment is far from silly.

Looks similar to McGovern. More likely to be running back with the flight of the ball as a forward. More likely punching from behind as a back. Comment is far from silly.

He’ll still be leaping into packs. I don’t have the statistics to back this up but I’d assume that defenders suffer as many concussions as forwards and as many as midfielders.

I think it’s all academic anyway. I can’t see how he puts together a career now. I feel for the kid.

Yeh, just echoing a VDS post.
If you’ve got a moment, see if you can find his interview from last night.
It’s all about context.
Thought he handled this question quite well.
Among other difficult questions.
No different than what he did with either Dempster and Stevens.
I posted separately about this in the media thread.
He handled a very difficult question (especially given the sensitivity and privacy issues) very well.
He deserves our praise not criticism.

i watched it last night. i thought richo was fantastic. but the idea of sending him down back is LOL worthy and as VDS highlighted, i doubt it will ever happen. he summed it up perfectly, club is just being supportive here.

he's nothing like mcgovern...

mcgovern continually runs back with the flight of the ball, similar to rance, as they're often used as the spare to intercept. they're not a brown, run with tall defender.

i watched it last night. i thought richo was fantastic. but the idea of sending him down back is LOL worthy and as VDS highlighted, i doubt it will ever happen. he summed it up perfectly, club is just being supportive here.
Yes, supportive, perhaps I didn’t get that across.
The move to defence for Paddy was first publicly aired by Joey in his Best 22 vid on our website back in the preseason. So the concept is not exactly new.
But it is handy as a “talking point” distraction for the media.

Yep, there's a real soyouresayingtheresachance.gif about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club injury video today says paddy stlll symptomatic from the JLT concussion

8 weeks off training + still symptoms. Put a line through him for this season.

It wasn't even a heavy collision, looked quite innocuous, hard to believe that 2 months later he's still suffering symptoms and could miss the entire season

I hope he can make it back to play some more footy for us but the signs aren't good when he can be so easily concussed even while wearing a helmet.

It wasn't even a heavy collision, looked quite innocuous, hard to believe that 2 months later he's still suffering symptoms and could miss the entire season

I hope he can make it back to play some more footy for us but the signs aren't good when he can be so easily concussed even while wearing a helmet.

Helmet is just a security blanket to wrap around your head.

It's a tough, cruel game sometimes.

Like with robbo, i believe the club is going to let HIM be the one to make the call to retire, whenever that may be.
Could be tomorrow, could be the end of next year....

It seems inevitable that it will occur though for both he and robbo- it's just a matter of timing.

As we saw with sean dempster- it will likely come abruptly at some point in the next 18 months (ie after a key medical clearance isn't forthcoming or something), but it appears the writing is well and truly on the wall for the pair of them.

I was talking about build and pace not how they played. You mentioned those things.
Mate they're not even the same build. It's like trying to compare McGovern with hawkins. To say they're the same is just flat out wrong.

McGovern Has successfully ran through the ruck for wce.

He's quicker than paddy and has more endurance.

he's not dead f f s
Thinking same today. Not easy to accept but given the choice between giving up AFL or being told you have cancer, I know which one I would prefer.

I know a few people who wish as parents, the worse thing they had to do is deal with is their kids giving up sport.

Helmet does nothing.

Problem is your brain floating inside your skull. Even with a helmet, if you get hit, the brain still moves about and hits your skull.

Mate they're not even the same build. It's like trying to compare McGovern with hawkins. To say they're the same is just flat out wrong.

McGovern Has successfully ran through the ruck for wce.

He's quicker than paddy and has more endurance.
Well there is one cm and 2 kg difference. Reckon that is pretty close. Matter of fact very close. No idea about the ruck but acres has done it for us. Can’t remember him doing it much at all. You have obviously seen McGovern live more than me but I’ve seen them both live more than you. They look very similar in builds and pace. Without putting you down I will go with garry Lyon who mentioned the similarities last year when he suggested paddy might have more hope making it in the backline than the forward line.

Helmet does nothing.

Problem is your brain floating inside your skull. Even with a helmet, if you get hit, the brain still moves about and hits your skull.

Its been suggested that Rugby players are more aggressive with the little scrum helmets on, and that they increase the risk of concussion.

Joey tipped this move in his pre-season commentary that was poste
Joey tipped this move in his pre-season commentary that was posted on our website.
So it’s not as new as we’d like.

It was Joey who told me last year that this is what club was looking at ( it is not a last ditch reaction to his concussion). There are those at the club that genuinely believe he can become a McGovern type.

Given his strengths - they could be right. I for one would love to see him given a shot down back.

It was Joey who told me last year that this is what club was looking at ( it is not a last ditch reaction to his concussion). There are those at the club that genuinely believe he can become a McGovern type.

Given his strengths - they could be right. I for one would love to see him given a shot down back.
Would love Paddy to play again , but what happens if he cops a good whack next time , it looks like if he gets a solid bump now he could get symptoms.

Hate to say it but I can't see him playing again - it would be crazy , just hope the Saints can set him up in a career somewhere.

Waste of talent but he will not be the only talented player who have had there careers destroyed because of injury , but I would rather the guy remain healthy than suffer like Joey Johns or John Barnes.

However I would expect St Kilda to do there due diligence and help him with the decision.

I guy in a team I played with as a junior copped a kick to the head , knocked him out , walked off the ground.
The next Monday he never turned up to school , he died in his sleep.
The AFL will ended up acting when it's to late.

just my view

Would love Paddy to play again , but what happens if he cops a good whack next time , it looks like if he gets a solid bump now he could get symptoms.

Hate to say it but I can't see him playing again - it would be crazy , just hope the Saints can set him up in a career somewhere.

Waste of talent but he will not be the only talented player who have had there careers destroyed because of injury , but I would rather the guy remain healthy than suffer like Joey Johns or John Barnes.

However I would expect St Kilda to do there due diligence and help him with the decision.

I guy in a team I played with as a junior copped a kick to the head , knocked him out , walked off the ground.
The next Monday he never turned up to school , he died in his sleep.
The AFL will ended up acting when it's to late.

just my view

Very different issue.
I'd hope that players who have been knocked out are placed under some pretty good observation. Bleeding in the brain can be pretty bad.
Anyone who is knocked out should go to a doctor or ER.

True Story.
Guy gets run over by forklift, falls back and hits his head. Not knocked out.
Guy rests for 15 minutes, workmates tell him to go to doctor but he declines and goes back to work driving a forklift.
An hour or so later the company manager is checking on him and see's blood spots under his nose.
Director tells him he IS going to the doctor, and goes to book appointment, then comes back and finds worker lying on the ground.
Called Ambulance, Bleeding in the brain, dead two days later.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/l...n-brain/can-sleeping-with-concussion-kill.htm

Sleeping doesn't make things worse, but it may make it hard for someone to monitor their symptoms.

http://www.protectthebrain.org/Brain-Injury-Research/What-is-a-Concussion-.aspx

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/09/21/...-injuries-high-school-college-trnd/index.html

What do you suggest the AFL should do, and what would you consider "too late"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back