whats our back 6 looking like next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't see how a guy who has been injured for most of the last two years and couldn't get a game at another club simply walks into the starting line-up.

Pretty common. Duryea, Crozier, Baker, Poulter, Trengove, Biggs, and Hannan off the top of my head.

Until the coaches address the two problems of shutting down a run-on, and effective kick-ins from oppo points, Sleeping Beauty and the Seven Dwarves could be our starting backs.

Until the coaches address the two problems of shutting down a run-on, and effective kick-ins from oppo points, Sleeping Beauty and the Seven Dwarves could be our starting backs.
What do you mean? Kicking to our ruckman 30m out, hard on the back pocket boundary, isn’t an effective kick out strategy?

What do you mean? Kicking to our ruckman 30m out, hard on the back pocket boundary, isn’t an effective kick out strategy?

Or having the ruckman play on from the goal square with less than a minute to go ??

Won’t happen but my preference is:

FB: Richards Darcy JOD
HBF: Dale Jones JJ

Williams or Coffield as the 7th defender.

I would like Macrae to spend time at Half Back aswell.

If we place against the premiership forward lines:

One tooth brigade:

FF - Cameron McStay Elliot
FB- Darcy(Keath/Gardner) Jones Red

HF - Hill Mihocek Schultz
HB - JJ JOD Dale

De Goey /
Coffield

Lazarus (dead a couple of years ago until AFL rose them from the dead)

FF - Bailey Daniher Cameron
FB - Red Jones JJ

HF - McCarthy Hipwood Coleman
HB - Coffield JOD Dale

Raynor
Duryea

A coupe of interesting potential changes:questions:

1. Will Duryea get back to fitness and speed. Today he is the best player to lock down the small power player. VDM is quick enough but has poor skills. Scott is the most logical back up and could be very good if left there - has courage and maturity. Harvey G - may get there?

2. Will JJ stay fit. For he is a walk up best 22 but he can’t stay on the field. VDM being groomed for his spot but most be more aggressive - otherwise he loses the ball easily. Left field option is to play García there - he is hard, very quick and decent defensive skills - kicking holding him back. This was a bit of a knock on Moyd but went he went back his disposals improved out of sight.

3. Cleary has looked on a clear track to join the team. Question is who does he replace? Don’t see he has the speed and agility to ply on small fast forward (so doesn’t directly replace Duryea). We got Coffield in very similar role - but not necessarily intercept marking.

4. Ultimately JOD replaces Jones. Buss replaced JOD. (Gardner to provide coverage)

Buss Needs to play some games this year to develop that. Keath to replace Jones if he gets injured. Question whether Keath can get his mojo back. Only two years ago he was a star but seemed to lose his confidence (doesn’t even go for marks anymore) and hardness last year. If he can get back his mojo - we are a much stronger team.

5. Will Harvey G come through to give us the small defender to play on teams.

6. Will Khamis be sent back as intercept marker - much less likely now we have Coffield. I think they will keep him forward.

7. Will Darcy play defence?

8. What swifty is Bevo going to pull l?

9. ????

I would like to see Richards or JJ moved to a wing given we need run and carry in that position.

That said and assuming it’s Richards to wing

Dale. Jones. Buss
Coffield. JOD. JJ

We will need to get games into Busslinger

Keath and Gardiner are just depth for mine, they will play a handful of games through the year, same as Duryea but he looked cooked last season.

not sure what role Caleb Daniel plays going forward either, he hasn’t looked great in the midfield when given a shot, he’s ok for depth there, isn’t great on a wing either, perhaps runs off bench but is definitely best 22.

4. Keath and Gardiner playing. Period.
1000% this. The flow on effect will be massive. It impacted Dale, Ed, etc. who (1) copped extra attention - opposition were happy to leave Gardy / Keath clear, and (2) were forced to take on high risk options down the line because that was still better than switching to spud KPDs. If the lateral kick is to JOD / Coffield instead you probably take that.

I feel a lot of people undervalue English in a similar way. His value isn’t the cheap stats he racks up, it’s that an under pressure Bont can flick him a handball on the run and he can then nail Naughton on the lead. If that’s a different ruck then Bont turns back into traffic instead and Naughton doesn’t even bother leading.

last night was looking through the back lines of our games this year…some of the setups were truly awful. O’Donnell didn’t really go back until the last third of the year, we had times when O’Brien Keath and/or Gardner and even Vandermeer were not only in the team at the same time, but playing in the backline! Bruce back there was also a disaster, he was cooked sadly.

Every backline 6 I have come up with (including and excluding Naughton back) looks significantly better than last year.

1000% this. The flow on effect will be massive. It impacted Dale, Ed, etc. who (1) copped extra attention - opposition were happy to leave Gardy / Keath clear, and (2) were forced to take on high risk options down the line because that was still better than switching to spud KPDs. If the lateral kick is to JOD / Coffield instead you probably take that.

I feel a lot of people undervalue English in a similar way. His value isn’t the cheap stats he racks up, it’s that an under pressure Bont can flick him a handball on the run and he can then nail Naughton on the lead. If that’s a different ruck then Bont turns back into traffic instead and Naughton doesn’t even bother leading.
if keath or gardy are playing we are mediocre, if both are playing we are in trouble.

If Coffield and O'Donnell stand up.We are fine
If Darcy is ready he is the interceptor.
Jones should not be our total reliance as he is ageing.
If Keath and Gardiner don't improve they should only be supplements.
It's what they do with Macrae.and Daniel that shapes us.
like last year we are 9th to 18th
Get it right and we play finals.
Both don't add much to midfield
Macrae is not damaging just accumulating
Daniel gets pushed off too easily
Both are unsettled
For mine Macrae the new MBoyd to defence
Daniel the crumbing forward .He is smart around goals.If we recruit Watson that changes .ATM Daniel forward for mine.
Daniel has a question on tackling
Macrae on marking
They would need to put work into these areas over summer.

If Coffield and O'Donnell stand up.We are fine
If Darcy is ready he is the interceptor.
Jones should not be our total reliance as he is ageing.
If Keath and Gardiner don't improve they should only be supplements.
It's what they do with Macrae.and Daniel that shapes us.
like last year we are 9th to 18th
Get it right and we play finals.
Both don't add much to midfield
Macrae is not damaging just accumulating
Daniel gets pushed off too easily
Both are unsettled
For mine Macrae the new MBoyd to defence
Daniel the crumbing forward .He is smart around goals.If we recruit Watson that changes .ATM Daniel forward for mine.
Daniel has a question on tackling
Macrae on marking
They would need to put work into these areas over summer.
I think Macrae was underdone for most of the year. I believe he will turn it around. However I’d like him to rotate from mid to half back. I don’t see his marking being an issue. There is no reason he can’t play the same role for us as pendles has done at the pies.

I’d play Daniel as a High Half Forward. Sadly tackling has been a glaring weakness since he started, so I really can’t see it improving. We will just need to take the good with the bad.

I’d play Daniel Half Forward no matter whether we recruit Watson. We will still need to inject pace forward of the ball. Watson’s strengths appear to be very different to Caleb. Watson is more dynamic and our forward line this year was very predictable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Macrae was underdone for most of the year. I believe he will turn it around. However I’d like him to rotate from mid to half back. I don’t see his marking being an issue. There is no reason he can’t play the same role for us as pendles has done at the pies.

I’d play Daniel as a High Half Forward. Sadly tackling has been a glaring weakness since he started, so I really can’t see it improving. We will just need to take the good with the bad.

I’d play Daniel Half Forward no matter whether we recruit Watson. We will still need to inject pace forward of the ball. Watson’s strengths appear to be very different to Caleb. Watson is more dynamic and our forward line this year was very predictable.
What to do with Daniel and Macrae is a huge issue facing the coaches. They both has positives yet its their weakness which gets exploited in todays run and space game. Neither can get back in space quick enough to cover the wholes. Both are brushed aside with ease by stronger and faster opposition.

Hopefully Cleary gets a run. Not sure what happened this year. Seemingly did everythibg right in the VFL but was being kept out for some reason.
He was stuffed half way through the third quarter in the game he played - which is likely your answer.

He was stuffed half way through the third quarter in the game he played - which is likely your answer.
He has a summer to get that endurance up and hope we see more of him supporting a new and improved back line in 2024.
:)👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back