Our backline talls

Remove this Banner Ad

Stupidity is you keep doing the same thing. The last 3 games we have been a class defender short and one of the main reasons we have lost. We have one in the forward line who is a average forward. Why do we keep playing the likes Bruce, O'Brien and Gardner. We may have still lost but a least we could try something that may work.

Sums up the night.

Finlayson clearly a left footer waiting for a handball. Bruce turns his back (it’s his man) and everyone else switches off.

Just not good enough.

View attachment 1708618
I noticed this at the game and was furious. You hate to pile it on one player but his performance in a 3-4 goal game was seriously the difference.

Sometimes players have bad games by just being invisible, Bruce was having one of the worst games I’ve seen without touching the ball.

Keath, O’Brien, gardner, bringing in O’Donnell, imagine if we didn’t recruit Jones etc.

The players are not afl standard.. bevo has had years to address this and hasn’t.

This is incompetence
I think you can only play 2 of Jones, Keath, Gardner and Bruce. We need a proper intercepting 3rd tall who isn’t a liability by foot. Hopefully Buss is that player.

Option C:
FB: Doc Jones Busslinger
HB: Dale Gardner Cleary
INT: Macrae

Note:
I would play JJ or Richards ahead of Cleary/Doc.
JJ and Richards would be walk up starts but was only considering players available. I'd like buss to get a game but can't see him being anymore influential then JOD and think it's better for his development playing in the twos (same with JOD, it's hard to learn when you have no definable role).
I still think we have a team that can genuinely compete for a premiership. Unfortunately through a combination of poor selection, change of roles week to week, lack of admittance when those changes don't work and now lack of confidence we have hamstrung ourselves to a 6-10 team with an ugly brand of football.

Jones, Jod, Keith if you want to go 3 talls this should be the only answer

One of them gets injured Gardner steps in

Last night showed those clambering for gardner, tob etc to be removed from the team that these players have little impact on the result of the team. They're all pretty bad.

Bruce's game last night was the worst of any key back all year.

Our structure is certainly wrong though. Don't need 4 talls and JOD is not ready for the level.

I think our best setup is Jones/Gardner/Keath but it's all a much of a muchness.

Keath, Gardner, O'Brien, Bruce are poor tall defenders and this clearly has to do with poor recruitment and planning in the last 5 years at least. You need to play Naughton back. The loss of JJ and Richards is massive. More importantly is our poor kicking skills AND A FORWARD LINE THAT DOES NOT FUNCTION. Try Bukhu as a third tall defender and Astro as CHB.

Watching Melb vs Pies shows how far off the mark we are.

Doc Jones Bukhu
HB. Dale Naughton VDM
INT. Crozier

The problem is Crozier looks cooked or not a Bevo favourite and I am clutching at straws.

Just put Khamis in. This is the problem with our development. We hand out all these freebies when players like Khamis who has already had a taste should be getting those games. The quicker we know to hold or cut players, the better. A few games stretching out over 5-6 years just kills us and stunts finding new talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

giphy.gif

Just put Khamis in. This is the problem with our development. We hand out all these freebies when players like Khamis who has already had a taste should be getting those games. The quicker we know to hold or cut players, the better. A few games stretching out over 5-6 years just kills us and stunts finding new talent.

Crozier seemed to be getting back to some decent form before he got hurt!

It’s a bit sad to see him totally ignored , he was great for us when he crossed .

Khamis was good today when drifting back while in the ruck as an intercept defender.

Put Raak forward who looked good there and put Khamis in the backline.

Give him a few weeks and then a shot at afl level.

I'm going to be a wet blanket.

I know he is super young and has only played a few VFL games but he looks to be an intercept defender at best. He hasn't shown an ability to defend 1v1.
He is coming from a long way back this year. Double shoulder reconstruction last year, meant not a full preseason this year. He needs one to two full preseasons before we can make a full assessment imo. Think he is going to require time to develop. A good user that can intercept would be a good start, can develop strength to improve 1 v 1 defending. If he can come on would be great for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back