How do you rate our draft haul?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Dogs were of a similar belief, that after about pick 15 there was a huge drop off, so they didn't really have their heart set on anyone from a later pick.

Didnt realize how much picks dropped due to academy/FS bids

Our pick 10 turned to 13, and our pick 17 turned to 23!

Assuming pick 17 would have been for matching Croft, I wonder had we not traded up, who we would have picked at 13?
Leake or Wilson I guess - both mids

Assuming pick 17 would have been for matching Croft, I wonder had we not traded up, who we would have picked at 13?

Leake was a bit of a slider at that point of the draft, would probably have been the go.

Leake was a bit of a slider at that point of the draft, would probably have been the go.
A slider according to who? A bunch of phantom drafts?

Not having a go but I always find the idea of 'sliders' and 'bolters' ridiculous given the only opinion which matters is that of the recruiters, who selected said players earlier or later than expected by the people who don't have skin in the game.

Geelong at #11 or GWS at #12 bid on Croft earlier if we held onto the original pick.

Interesting both Hawthorn and Eagles were throwing their 1st rounder next year at GWS. That has to mean they rated Curtin higher than current projections for early picks 2024.

Interesting both Hawthorn and Eagles were throwing their 1st rounder next year at GWS. That has to mean they rated Curtin higher than current projections for early picks 2024.
As much as anything for Hawks it would be landing a KPD. They don’t need to add mids and next years top end is shaping as midfield heavy.

I also wouldn’t read too much into the projections this far out. Harry Lemmey was projected as a top 3 pick 12 months out and went at pick #47. Sam Darcy projected as a 3rd round pick and climbed up to pick #2. This time last year everyone thought Saints had done well landing Phillipou at pick #10 when he thought to be on-par with SA teammate Ashton Moir who was a likely pick #2 after Harley Reid (went pick #29).

Getting a player in a year earlier and having your core youth mature at the same time is worth a bit aswell.

Because they would know we would still match and it hurts our draft hand. Maybe not Geelong but GWS would do it given history and to the extent they view us as a contender in 2024

they could have done that anyway, but they didnt.
I dont think pulling the trigger particularly early is a reputation that you want to build - what comes around goes around

they could have done that anyway, but they didnt.
I dont think pulling the trigger particularly early is a reputation that you want to build - what comes around goes around
If they wanted Leake with their later pick and thought we would take him it would make sense.
It seems that some clubs try to leverage not bidding into favorable trades as well so we may have had clubs telling us they would bid early trying to orchestrate trades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone would have bid on Croft at 13 because it wasn't that far off what he's worth. There's a difference between jumping in with a bid just before a player is predicted to go in order to burn a good pick and not bothering to bid because the other party is bidding with a bunch of 3rd and 4th round picks.

Because they would know we would still match and it hurts our draft hand. Maybe not Geelong but GWS would do it given history and to the extent they view us as a contender in 2024
Don't get this logic at all.

If we hadn't traded out 10&17, the likelihood of us matching bids on Croft was obviously lessened.

If GWS or anyone didn't bid on Croft after we traded out, no way they would've if we still held 10&17 (if their intent was just to force a matched bid).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back