What's your current program?

Remove this Banner Ad

i think at this time it's best stick to training with your club and hitting the wts hard while you can. You don't need to be at peak fitness in December/January and you'll definitely up the running volume at training after x-mas so for now i'd get those squats as strong as you can until then because then you'll probably need to cut that back

Yep I know for december/early january I will stick to weights and just the training, but after new year (as you said) whats the plan of attack?

I just like to plan these things ahead so I know where Im going and how things will change in the future.

So once that time does come when fitness is crucial, what should happen?

the eyar should basically work like this:

sep - depending on when you finish take a lay off from intensive training and move to a rehab type program with plenty of work on mobility, stability and flexibility...this doesn't mean you can't run or lift but no personal bests here either

oct/nov - deteimine yout weakness and go at them...they're the furtherest thing behind so they need the most work...if your weak and small lift, if you're fat lose wt etc...again other stuff can be done but minimal to moderate at most

dec - get some run into the legs

jan/mar - back training with team so you'll do plenty of running with them so i'd look at 1 and maybe, a big maybe, 2 extra running type sessions a week depending on your natural fitness levels

apr/aug - train with team 2/week...wts 2 - 3 week (i've already got a manual ready to go for that)

just be sure that you need to maintain what you built in the last phase so if you lost wt in oct - dec, putting back on over x mas is silly...if you built up your strength then you need to maintain it throughout the year

My current prog includes:
Deadlifts
squats w db
leg press
lat pull down
bench press
sa db row
dips
all 3x10 including some fitness ball work.. i run 3-5 times a week aswell. Looking to improve strength and trim down to about 88-90kg. Is there any weight excersises i should add/remove from my current program?

for deads and bench presses do lower reps such as 3 - 5

i think you need another program too and alternate them and running endlessly won't really trim you down, but eating properly will

If you're gonna post at least put some detail into it, its hard to help someone if you have no idea where they are at, or what they want to achieve.

Trim down to 88-90 from what?
How often do you train in the gym?
Why do you run so often?
What does a run consist of?
Do you do all those exercises in one session?

And if you want strength then do less reps, more sets, heavier weights, as above!

Can someone give me an overview of the bench pull?

Is it a solid back exercise? Is it a good thing to include in a routine? Best ways to ensure form/complete range of motion, etc?

Also seems pretty similar to a row/back press which I also have in my routine. Where is its stance in comparison to this (is it better/worse? Does doing bench pull act as a good supplement for rows (ie do rows one back day and bench pull the other?)? etc)

Thanks!

I guess its a different form of a row, thats all. I rarely ever see people doing it at my local gym, so I was wondering why that might be?

Thoughts on this exercise captain?

I think most people wouldnt be doing them because gyms dont have the elevated benches that make it nicer plus most gyms have a t-bar row which is similar.

It is a solid exercise but the best pulls are the simple ones in my opinion, Deadlifts, Power Cleans and Pendlay Rows.

I have had no routine over the last 4-5 months while I've been having job interviews. I've only been doing weights about once or twice a week with no program. Running every day though, so I'm still fit but I've lost some muscle mass. Not too fussed about gaining muscle at the moment. So it's just the general fitness and lifting weights is always a good mental exercise as well.

Rough program at this stage:

Monday:
Squat - 3*12
Dumbbell Bench Press - 3*12
Barbell Row - 3*12
Arnold Press - 3*12
Barbell Curl - 3*12
French Curl - 3*12

Wednesday:
Bench Press - 5*5
Barbell Row - 5*5
Shoulder Press - 5*5

Thursday:
Squat - 5*5
Deadlift - 5*5
Walking lunge - 5*5

Saturday:
Deadlift - 3*12
Incline Barbell Press - 3*12
One Arm Row - 3*12
Lateral Raise - 3*12
Close Grip BP - 3*12
Dumbbell Curl - 3*12

Normally I like working around squats but I've enjoyed jogging/sprints a fair bit lately so I'll stick to one heavy leg day.

Any advice on exercise selection, splits etc. would be appreciated. Generally 1 min rest for 12 rep day and 2 min for 5 rep day. Not sure doing the two heavy days back to back is the best set up either. Maybe throw a power clean in their as well.

Workout out at home so I only have a squat rack and bench press.

aussiegun - pop this in the journal section...either way if you're gonna have 4 days then go upper/lower x 2 days each or mon full body, wed lower, thu upper and sat full body again

lakey - is it a chest supported row? if so i love them, you can still go heavy but not worry about cheating too much which is the norm with rows...do on an incline bench lying face down

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still doing a split with 1day on 1 day off, but I'm finding that I'm recovering quite well (I've also been running ~8kms and doing abs on day off).

Anyone got any thoughts on doing a lighter session/version in between the heavy one?

For example, instead of doing Day 1, Day 3, Day 5 as a split and then continuing Session 1 on Day 7, doing something like:

Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Day 5, Day 6.
Sesh1, Sesh2, Sesh3, Light1, Light2, Light3 ?

So essentially doing a lighter workout but just not giving yourself as long a time off?

Maybe I should be doing more, but I've been lifting all I can and still pushing it from 45-60 minutes. So that's why I'm thinking something like that.

so you'll double your wt days? you might be recovering now but you won;t with a huge jump like that, especially without addressing the volume and intensity of the heavy sessions...the light session aren't going to get you bigger and stringer though are they? i figure they'll be too light and just calorie stealing more than anything

maybe check out my journal thread on high volume/frequency training

At the moment I'm getting a fair bit of sleep and some decent food, I don't think it would be too difficult.

I guess the light part is relative too, it wouldn't be too light, but I'll have a look at your other thread.

Something that it's not doing now?

I was under the assumption I was undertraining relative to my potential, and that that may be somewhere closer to it.

If I'm fatigued or feeling on my "heavy" days that I'm unable to lift the same weight then I'd have to take a look at it again. If I was able to maintain the current weights and reps but go up, maybe this would be beneficial.

But I guess with the current load it's most likely more work for little to no return, so probably not worth it. But that was my reasoning.

the more work for little return comment was right on the button i think

you don't need to exceed you potential tomorrow, as long as you're progressing just keep going

I am starting my preseason now and I need some ideas, gym is outta the question cost too much.

I have two dumbells with about 20 kg worth of weight and a barbell. I also have a spin bike. I downloaded the 100 push up app which im also using too.

I was hoping anyone could please give me some sort of program or ideas to gain muscle and lose weight and get fitter. There is a few running tracks around too. maybe sprints for cardio I am not sure on what to do.

I am 189cm and weigh about 98-100kg and need to lose weight and get fit in 4months. I want to train 5-6 days a week thank you in advance.

I am starting my preseason now and I need some ideas, gym is outta the question cost too much.

I have two dumbells with about 20 kg worth of weight and a barbell. I also have a spin bike. I downloaded the 100 push up app which im also using too.

I was hoping anyone could please give me some sort of program or ideas to gain muscle and lose weight and get fitter. There is a few running tracks around too. maybe sprints for cardio I am not sure on what to do.

I am 189cm and weigh about 98-100kg and need to lose weight and get fit in 4months. I want to train 5-6 days a week thank you in advance.

I'm about the same height and was a little heavier (have come down from 104 to 94 in the past 3 months).

I'll second Cpt Kirk's suggestions.

Legs: lots of sprints (the start is the really important bit. Just make themover 10 - 20m to start and do more of them rather than fewer 100s. You need to work that explosive take off, not the sagging 75 - 100m range)
Striding lunges, jump lunges, squat jumps, single leg squats (once you've built up to it), side jumps (thnk of a speed-skater motion), rabbit hops, square hopping, skipping (good cardio too - work up to 3 minutes on 1 minute off and just keep adding sets.)

Upper Body: Most parks will have a chin-up bar, or at worst monkey bars (try to use a grip slightly wider than shoulder width with palms facing away. Don't expect to do too many early on). Dips can be don on fence or park bench. Pushups. Tricep pushups (bring the hands together underneath your chest and make a diamond with your thumbs touching and your index fingers touching). Inverted rows (lie on your back under a fence and lift your chest toward the fence rail).

Core: plank / bridge (work in lifting one arm or one foot without losing your core balance). Side plank. Superman (flat on your belly with arms out like Superman flying - use your core to lift your pointed toes and your arms). Crane stance (like Karate Kid before the final kick - hold for 30seconds and working up to 90). Leg raises.

If you use your imagination there's heaps you can do on the most important strengthening areas (Glutes, strings, lower back, core) without even lifting a DB.

For cardio that is footy relevant and better at fat reduction shelf the long runs (anything > about 3k) and focus more on High Intensity Interval Training. A 20 minute cardio session where you do a 5 minute warm-up jog, then 30 seconds high intesity and 90 seconds recovery for 10 minutes (ie: 5 sets), plus a 5 minute warm-down jog is heaps better than running a flat pace 3ks in 18-20 minutes. Work up to doing the middle 10 minutes as 30 seconds on / 60 seconds recovery (6 or 7 sets), then 30 / 45 (8 sets), then 30 / 30 (10 sets).

*30 on, 30 off for 10 minutes is pretty hardcore. Don't underestimate it.

Diet: Again, as Kirky said: Diet is key! for tips see my posts in the Belly Fat thread on this forum, or PM me.

Good luck!

I'm only working out back, and shoulders. Other muscle groups are supplimentary.

Doing sets of 5-6 for strength.

in week 4 of 6 then I'll mix it up.

3 sets Pullups - +10KG Wide, narrow, shoulder width.
2 Sets Shoulder Press
2 Sets Upright Row
2 Sets Tricep dips +20KG
3 Sets Cable pull downs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back