When will the Carlton FC Arrive? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

What stands out to me with Carlton is how few players they have that are competent in two positions. If things aren’t peachy, what pieces do you move around to change a game? I can’t think of many positional moves that can win Carlton a game. You can’t throw Cripps, Cerra or Walsh forward, you can’t put Saad or Williams in the guts. You probably can but wouldn’t throw McGovern forward. You can’t throw Martin or Acres in the guts.

The last two premiership teams had dual position players coming out of their backsides. Chris Scott is absolutely obsessed with them. And for good reason. It makes sides unpredictable when they can move around players frequently and efficiently.

It’s a cliche to say a coach has no plan B but it’s what I see with Voss and Carlton. They have a quality team but they need to excel in their primary role because what alternative is there?
Cripps has played some time up forward this year. Walsh this year has been a CBA mid but has played as a winger or a high half forward that pushes up to stoppages as recently as 2023. Cerra has played HB, wing and as a CBA mid for us so far. Williams was initially brought across to be a midfielder but injuries saw him moved back to HB. Was used as a half forward in our most recent game against the Swans.

Some other notable names that can play multiple positions and have been utilised in these different positions during games:
  • TDK - RCK/FWD
  • Kennedy - DEF/MID/FWD
  • McKay - RCK/FWD
  • Fogarty - FWD/MID
  • Cottrell - WING/FWD
  • Cuningham - FWD/MID
  • JSOS - RCK/FWD
  • Docherty - DEF/WING/MID
  • E.Hollands - FWD/MID
  • Not a proper swing man but Curnow also goes back into defence when we need to stop momentum or hold on at the end of a game.
Probably others I'm forgetting but I think we have quite a bit of versatility in our best 30 or so.

Last edited:
Cripps has played some time up forward this year. Walsh this year has been a CBA mid but has played as a winger or a high half forward that pushes up to stoppages as recently as 2023. Cerra has played HB, wing and as a CBA mid for us so far. Williams was initially brought across to be a midfielder but injuries saw him moved back to HB. Was used as a half forward in our most recent game against the Swans.

Some other notable names that can play multiple positions and have been utilised in these different positions during games:
  • TDK - RCK/FWD
  • Kennedy - DEF/MID/FWD
  • McKay - RCK/FWD
  • Fogarty - FWD/MID
  • Cottrell - WING/FWD
  • Cuningham - FWD/MID
  • JSOS - RCK/FWD
  • E.Hollands - FWD/MID
  • Not a proper swing man but Curnow also goes back into defence when we need to stop momentum or hold on at the end of a game.
Probably others I'm forgetting but I think we have quite a bit of versatility in our best 30 or so.
People watching us probably think we have purely 1 position players because our coaching group are so stubborn to move the magnet around.

People watching us probably think we have purely 1 position players because our coaching group are so stubborn to move the magnet around.
The one I want to see more of is E.Hollands on ball. I think especially with Cerra and Docherty out we need someone (other than Walsh) that can spread from the contest to balance out Cripps/Hewett/Kennedy.

• TDK - RCK/FWD
  • Kennedy - DEF/MID/FWD
  • McKay - RCK/FWD
  • Fogarty - FWD/MID
  • Cottrell - WING/FWD
  • Cuningham - FWD/MID
  • JSOS - RCK/FWD
  • E.Hollands - FWD/MID
Can’t say I’ve seen any of these blokes play their secondary position and have had the impact needed to change the trajectory of a game. You’re welcome to correct me.

Can’t say I’ve seen any of these blokes play their secondary position and have had the impact needed to change the trajectory of a game. You’re welcome to correct me.
There are plenty of examples of those changes happening and benefiting the club but in my opinion the most notable was seen in 2023 with Fogarty and Cuningham. In Round 14, Carlton began that run of wins until the end of the year and this coincided with those two players entering the team. They both played forward but also added to our on ball rotations and provided something different to the mids already there.

Carlton need a small forward, ruckman and outside midfielder.
It's ironic because the Carlton sides under Ratten had players in abundance for these positions.
Another ruckman? Wouldn't imagine so, TDK and Pitto both going ok.

Agree with the rest tho. Small forward situation is absolutely diabolical, Durdin and Fantasia should not be getting games full stop. And yes we need a lot more run, having both Saad and Cottrell out against Sydney sure didn't help but geez we looked slow.

Last edited:
Another ruckman? Wouldn't imagine so, TDK and Pitto both going ok.

Agree with the rest tho. Small forward situation is absolutely diabolical, Durdin and Fantasia should not be getting games full stop. And yes we need a lot more run, having both Saad and Cottrell out against Sydney sure didn't help but geez we looked slow.
Williams as small forward might end up being the solution.
Also, in regards to the thread title - Carlton may have finally arrived.

Richmond people point to when they beat Port in SA in 2017 as the game where they knew the Tigers had finally arrived.
Carlton people may well point to when they beat Port in SA in 2024 as the game where they knew the Blues had finally arrived.

Williams as small forward might end up being the solution.
Seems like an inspired move for sure, I assume there's a match committee member down at Princes Park peacocking around as we speak. 2 weeks is too small a sample size though, and be interesting to see if they persist with it when Motlop becomes available.

Did say to a mate over the weekend, how hilarious (and sad) is it that a half-back flanker seems to have more forward craft and get to infinitely better spots than our actual small forwards lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back