Where to?

Remove this Banner Ad

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Good evening BF, I need help. (well more than usual)

I'm looking at travelling overseas this Dec/Jan, most likely with the family (7 and 2), and I'm not a millionaire. I need a relatively cost effective solution for a 7-10 day break. At this stage we have been looking at various 'family resorts' mainly in SE Asia.

Heard good things about some cruises/tours, but they are either out of our budget (non-existant!) or more focused on the social (drinking/grouping) side.

Although my wife speaks Japanese, we really need somewhere that English is understood by everyone. We haven't traveled much, the only non-English place was Japan, and that was staying with friends who knew their way around.

We aren't big 'outdoors' people, so really looking for the family 'cultural' experience, without massive exertion (no 4hr bike rides for me). The typical resort activities (eg kayak hire, bushwalking, horse-riding, etc) are fun, even if very standardized. Don't mind structured/pre-planned activities (hence looking at tours/cruises), especially as almost regardless experiences will be 'new'.

There are heaps of 'family friendly' places around, but review sites seem to range from 1-5 with little consistency. I'd love to hear some personal experiences with a young family.

Oh, did I mention I'm a tightarse? Free inclusions/discounts/bonuses are always good.

Spend 4 or 5 days in Singapore, you'll love it, heaps to do. You can do all those resort activities in a day or two at Sentosa, an island just off the south coast. It's pretty cheap to get over there, and a vast majority of the locals are English speaking. Quite westernised as well, so if you're looking for a place to have a brew and watch the footy, you won't have much trouble at all.

I've never been but I've always liked the looks of Vanuatu, possibly too outdoors for what you're looking for and/or better for older children? but I think there's a fair mix of resort and adventure/outdoor activities depending on what you're looking for.

Like i said can't offer first hand experience (be interested if anyone has been) but it's one of the ones on the list for my family.

Spend 4 or 5 days in Singapore, you'll love it, heaps to do. You can do all those resort activities in a day or two at Sentosa, an island just off the south coast. It's pretty cheap to get over there, and a vast majority of the locals are English speaking. Quite westernised as well, so if you're looking for a place to have a brew and watch the footy, you won't have much trouble at all.

No, Sentosa is a plastic shithole.............not overly cheap either, the only good thing about that island was the golf. I loved living in Singapore and I would recommend staying in the city IF Simon is planning to go there, however judging by what he wants to do I would look at other places.

From a tourist's perspective, Sentosa wouldn't be a shithole. True, living there for 3 years I got sick and tired of Sentosa, but it has lots of things to see and do that encapsulate the Singaporean culture. There isn't really a 'city' in Singapore. I'd recommend staying in the City Hall/Raffles area, which is pretty central and very close to Clark Quay, Orchard and Marina Bay. I don't see where else in Asia would appeal to him regarding the criteria. The rest of SE Asia is pretty mediocre if you ask me.

From a tourist's perspective, Sentosa wouldn't be a shithole. True, living there for 3 years I got sick and tired of Sentosa, but it has lots of things to see and do that encapsulate the Singaporean culture. There isn't really a 'city' in Singapore. I'd recommend staying in the City Hall/Raffles area, which is pretty central and very close to Clark Quay, Orchard and Marina Bay. I don't see where else in Asia would appeal to him regarding the criteria. The rest of SE Asia is pretty mediocre if you ask me.

Ok city in perspective of places like Pasir Ris, Jurong etc. I never warmed to Sentosa, I had to stay there for a conference (despite the fact I lived 20 mins away) and as said apart from the golf I thought it was overpriced and boring, you are also asking for health problems if you swim in the ocean.

There are places in SE Asia which could suit Simon's needs, keeping in mind cost Bali (not Kuta) is a shorter flight than most, offers great activities and is relatively cheap for eating/drinking. People just need to remember there is heaps more than Kuta to the place

Thanks everyone who's posted so far. VERY glad I posted now (sat on this for weeks whilst 'researching') as most places mentioned require a google, and opening up new ideas.

Thanks everyone who's posted so far. VERY glad I posted now (sat on this for weeks whilst 'researching') as most places mentioned require a google, and opening up new ideas.

What is your budget?

You mentioned family so I assume kids as well? Also keep in mind the climate of SE Asian countries in Dec/Jan

Budget is prob ~5k all up, so strings for laces.

A family friend is a corporate-travel-planner or something (one step up from the one who books), but is a travel snob, and anything under $5000pp is a waste of time. They mentioned the weather, but believed it was only an issue in certain places, with much having a 'wet' season that was only an inconvenience, not a deal-breaker.

Yeah, children are 7 and 2. 7yo is ridiculously smart/mature though, acts like a 10-12yo. 2yo is a....well 2yo....and a female.

English is also widely spoken in Singapore and Malaysia. Most tourism operators everywhere will speak some English, but in those two countries you are more likely to be understood by the general populace. Even then, there are exceptions.

Singapore, already mentioned above, is probably the best in SE Asia for travelling with kids. Brilliant transport system, and safe. Most other places are reasonably safe in terms of crime, but I would not want to be crossing a street with a seven year old in Ho Chi Minh City or Bangkok for example. Crazy traffic in some places is dangerous enough for a sober adult, an inquisitive child could be paranoia inducing.

Malaysia may be an option. A few days in KL, and a few days at a west coast beach town. If memory serves, Dec/Jan is monsoon season on the east coast and some resorts are shut.
7-10 days probably doesn't leave you with much time to head inland to Taman Negara (although the kids would love the monkeys) or Cameron Highlands. Both of those are fairly lengthy journeys to take kids on.

You could do Singapore then head into Malaysia. Maybe stay in Melaka for a few nights and fly home from Kuala Lumpur. That might be too much travel in too short a time with kids though.

What about somewhere in Oz?

Somewhere like the Sunshine Coast? Kids would love the beach, Australia Zoo.

We stayed at Twin Waters resort a few years ago. Big lagoon in the middle of the resort where you can do kayaking and they also have catamarans. Great golf courses nearby.

Noosa and Coolum are only just up the road.

My partner and I took our then 4 year old daughter to Phuket year before last, stayed right down the southern tip at Cape Panwa
I would have no hesitation in recommending this area, relatively quiet, beautiful, and only a short bus or taxi ride to Phuket town or to the ferries to Kho Phi Phi
We had a whole beautiful beach to ourselves on many days, and prices were very cheap for anything you might want to do or see or eat ( or drink )

As an experienced campaigner when it comes to travel, and with a family myself, my advice is do a cruise.

We went on Royal Caribbean "Rhapsody of the Seas" over Christmas and loved it so much we went again (same ship; similar places - ie Vanuatue; New Caledonia) in April. I really can't think of any negatives (other than "not a good idea to jump over the side"). Main positives include:

* Total relaxation - no need to worry about getting to and from airports; hotels; attractions; lug your stuff around etc. Do as much or little as you like.
* All inclusive / reasonable price. For around $100-$120 pp per day all your meals; room; entertainment etc is included (there's a variety of "free" food options; you can pay extra for "specialty dining").
* Kids clubs for entertainment of the kids when they want something to do you and mum want to go down to your room for a shag.
* Nightly entertainment (included) includes cabaret type shows; comedy; dance shows; etc.
* You get to see a bunch of places and can do as little or as much as you like. Note you do pay extra for organised shore excuresions (but you're also free to do/arrange your own thing - which most do).

Their 3 ships which do Aus in our summer are back up doing Alaska for the northern summer, and come back around September for our season. Alternatives include Carnival; P+O; Princess; Holland Line, so no need to be tied to these dates or RC (though IMHO wait until summer anyway and go RC).

This is a good what I call "big footy for cruise sluts" site.... http://www.cruisecritic.com/
And this for good deals.... http://cruisesalefinder.com.au/

Do it and come back and thank me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back