Where's the crowds at home games

Remove this Banner Ad

People need to accept we are a small club and a lot of our members join because they "go" for us and they are contributing to our survival. Most people don't love the game as much as we do, and if we are going to make them feel bad about noon-attendance they might stop buying these memberships.
23000 is a good crowd for North against Freo on a Sunday evening. Thinking fellow members owe us their attendance is unrealistic, and just going to do your head in
Summed it up perfectly.

a few Sunday 4.40 games from last year

rd4 - Dogs v Crowes 20k
r19 - Saints v Freo 16.5k
r11 - Saints v Dees 25k
r16 - Saints v Tiges 46k

The 4,40 timeslot against interstate teams is low. Against Dee's, a bit better. Against Tiges, excellent.

So 23k for us v Freo at 4.40pm on Sunday is very good.
Why are we playing Tiges is Hobart?

I make a point every time of asking the staff on the way in the gates how many they are told to expect for the match.

Last night they were expecting 24K, which I thought was EXTREMELY ambitious given it's Freo-Sunday-Twilight.

Not a bad estimate in the end......

We really only have one more sunday arvo game this year - vs Saints on Mothers Day. That crowd could be a killer. It'll be the only game I see this year, so I'll be doing my bit.

In an ideal world, of our 8 home games 2 would be saturday arvo 2:10 starts, 2 sunday arvo 2:10 starts, 2 Saturday night 7:10 starts and 2 friday night 7:40 starts. That would maximise attendences. But it would never happen because tv viewership is too important to the AFL.

We really only have one more sunday arvo game this year - vs Saints on Mothers Day. That crowd could be a killer. It'll be the only game I see this year, so I'll be doing my bit.

Is that boomers record game?

Great win by the boys tonight and now on top of the ladder but when will are supporters and members start attending the home games another crap crowd AGAIN.
I'm sick of the BS from our supporters saying its a Sunday night or a Sunday day game or a Saturday night game get to the games you lazy sods.

I understand you're pumping up the troops and that's great. But 23k was a very good figure.

Some points to consider..

Almost zilch Fremantle supporters would've attended - with a Sunday PM timeslot they can't even make a weekend away out of it without taking the Monday off.

No mightier than the incredible juggernaut Collingwood were handed some Sunday twilights a couple of years ago. They pulled less playing the bulldogs in that timeslot than we did. Result: no more Sunday twilight for the "good old".

The timeslot wipes out a lot of people with very young kids or those with older school age kids who would've had to travel an hour+ to get home.

The timeslot could also wipe out any neutrals or North supporters with Monday work commitments etc that make a Sunday evening engagement unpalatable... Getting home on a Sunday night even after a great win just isn't the most pleasant thing to do when the reality of the next morning hits you.

Anyway a lot of us would've been there but 23k is actually a good return. Maybe monitor how other clubs have gone in the Sunday twilight slot over the years especially against interstate opponents and see for yourself.**

**subject to availability of any suitable data

No mightier than the incredible juggernaut Collingwood were handed some Sunday twilights a couple of years ago. They pulled less playing the bulldogs in that timeslot than we did. Result: no more Sunday twilight for the "good old".

And it's not as if they have to go to work on Monday, or their kids go to school.

a few Sunday 4.40 games from last year

rd4 - Dogs v Crowes 20k
r19 - Saints v Freo 16.5k
r11 - Saints v Dees 25k
r16 - Saints v Tiges 46k

The 4,40 timeslot against interstate teams is low. Against Dee's, a bit better. Against Tiges, excellent.

So 23k for us v Freo at 4.40pm on Sunday is very good.
Why are we playing Tiges is Hobart?

That was the first Maddy's Match so understandably got a few extra people in than it normally would have.

Speaking on behalf of people who dont follow either North, freo, dees and pies, the game at the G intriguing. If I was in Melbourne I would have gone to that as it was pretty obvious who was going to win

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't knock us mate.

A shitload of Level 3 people are members who mightn't be able to shell out the extra for a reserved seat.
If only they earned a really great wage like IUB as a Kinder Garden Principal then they would be able to afford more.

To whom it may concern.

I'd like to apologize to the North Melbourne community for an absentee at the game yesterday evening.

Ted the Labradoodle was unable to attend the match due to racism issues with security staff at Etihad.

Despite being a Labrador X Poodle, Ted was denied entry because he was deemed to only be "half Labrador" by the stadium staff at the ground, hence deemed not being an official guide dog. They had no right to reject Ted based on his breed, it was disgusting and appalling to witness. Ted worked hard for his pet NMFC membership this year by doing numerous tasks around the Gattsby residence including, but not limited to:
  • Protecting the property
  • Consuming food on a daily basis
  • Regular bowel movements (about 5 per day)
  • Walking himself with his own leash in his mouth
  • Sleeping approximately 20 hours a day
Despite having a membership, Ted "Archer" Gattsby (yes, his middle name is named after Glenn Archer) had to get on the next train home from Southern Cross station by himself, and watch the match on the couch from home. Ted shall not be attending another AFL game indefinitely, and he will certainly not be holding back when it comes to hurling racist remarks at Etihad stadium staff.

There is nothing Ted can do, but he is one of the 13,000 who weren't at the game last night.

Regards,

Greater Gattsby on behalf of Ted "Archer" Gattsby

Don't knock us mate.

A shitload of Level 3 people are members who mightn't be able to shell out the extra for a reserved seat.
I was one. Know of one other.

Irrelevant to the conversation. Nobody is criticising you. Relax.

The point is, significantly more than half the crowd does not scan a membership upon entry. That means there are far more members not attending games than we think. Up to 3/4 of our members were not there yesterday.

I understand you're pumping up the troops and that's great. But 23k was a very good figure.

Some points to consider..

Almost zilch Fremantle supporters would've attended - with a Sunday PM timeslot they can't even make a weekend away out of it without taking the Monday off.

The timeslot wipes out a lot of people with very young kids or those with older school age kids who would've had to travel an hour+ to get home.

The timeslot could also wipe out any neutrals or North supporters with Monday work commitments etc that make a Sunday evening engagement unpalatable... Getting home on a Sunday night even after a great win just isn't the most pleasant thing to do when the reality of the next morning hits you.

Anyway a lot of us would've been there but 23k is actually a good return. Maybe monitor how other clubs have gone in the Sunday twilight slot over the years especially against interstate opponents and see for yourself.**

**subject to availability of any suitable data

Totally agree.

I reckon I posted 2344 times how SUNDAY Twilight disadvantages Country people.

I responded i the Club surveys.

I responded to the AFL surveys.

No one cares.

Shits me when I dont go to then see threads like this as though we are bad members.

Reliably informed we had 10,000 members scan in for the first time ever yesterday.

I say "scan in" because there are thousands that attend each week sitting in Centre Wing or Medallion Club seats that don't scan their memberships at the gate.
I scanned both my AFL membership and my Premiership Club membership yesterday.

To whom it may concern.

I'd like to apologize to the North Melbourne community for an absentee at the game yesterday evening.

Ted the Labradoodle was unable to attend the match due to racism issues with security staff at Etihad.

Despite being a Labrador X Poodle, Ted was denied entry because he was deemed to only be "half Labrador" by the stadium staff at the ground, hence deemed not being an official guide dog. They had no right to reject Ted based on his breed, it was disgusting and appalling to witness. Ted worked hard for his pet NMFC membership this year by doing numerous tasks around the Gattsby residence including, but not limited to:
  • Protecting the property
  • Consuming food on a daily basis
  • Regular bowel movements (about 5 per day)
  • Walking himself with his own leash in his mouth
  • Sleeping approximately 20 hours a day
Despite having a membership, Ted "Archer" Gattsby (yes, his middle name is named after Glenn Archer) had to get on the next train home from Southern Cross station by himself, and watch the match on the couch from home. Ted shall not be attending another AFL game indefinitely, and he will certainly not be holding back when it comes to hurling racist remarks at Etihad stadium staff.

There is nothing Ted can do, but he is one of the 13,000 who weren't at the game last night.

Regards,

Greater Gattsby on behalf of Ted "Archer" Gattsby
Nobody lubb Ted. :'(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back