Where's the crowds at home games

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Great win by the boys tonight and now on top of the ladder but when will are supporters and members start attending the home games another crap crowd AGAIN.
I'm sick of the BS from our supporters saying its a Sunday night or a Sunday day game or a Saturday night game get to the games you lazy sods.

I know the generic "it's a Sunday twilight/night game" doesn't sound good but it is true for some and as others have said about 4-6 years ago it would have been 18k or less. Personally, I couldn't care if North were playing on Wednesday morning at 3:30am at Etihad, I'd still rock up and cheer my heart out and that's coming from a guy who works upwards of 45 hours a week, has a fiancee and a baby boy.

Great win by the boys tonight and now on top of the ladder but when will are supporters and members start attending the home games another crap crowd AGAIN.
I'm sick of the BS from our supporters saying its a Sunday night or a Sunday day game or a Saturday night game get to the games you lazy sods.

With 4 wins on the trot and top of the ladder our attendances will only grow from here......who knows some people might even post more often? :rolleyes:

3-4 years ago we would have got 18K to this game.

5-6 years ago it would have been 14K.

100% agree. Be nice if people took a step back and appreciated what we are building. It won't happen in one year but we've been slowly building for years now. At this rate in 5 years these games will be a 30k crowd which will be fantastic for us.

I expected it but was still disappointed. My dad was away so couldn't come with me and my uncle is in perth so he couldn't go tonight either; one of his sisters didn't go either. I know a few people that didn't go so it makes sense. A saturday/sunday arvo is also better for school kids

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our crowd numbers are the only thing lagging behind in the rise of our great club and it never seems to improve.

40,000 members thus far.
Minus say 5000 in tassie.
Minus maybe 3000 in other states.
Balmy Sunday arvo.
Therefore 13,000 didn't turn up. Not 1300 but 13,000 !!!

Our crowd numbers are the only thing lagging behind in the rise of our great club and it never seems to improve.

40,000 members thus far.
Balmy Sunday arvo.

It's worse than that. There would have been maybe 15,000 NMFC members there today.

My friend missed today she had an exam as a doctor so u will excuse her. Otherwise we come down from near torquay every melbourne game. Wife turns 30 sep 21st.. wants a party preliminary final weekend. Had to turn down the request...

Head to head with an A league final and Pies v Dees, 4:40 sunday twilight, against Freo who are winless and an interstate team all led there to be pretty much zero neutrals who attended. All north fans and a smattering of freo.

A tad disapointing but I was more disapointed with the crowd against Adelaide.

50k against the dogs for friday night in two please!

We are a family of 4 who didn't go to the game purely because of the time. With 2 children under 6 by the time the game finished and us having to drive 1 1/2 hours to get home my 2 children wouldn't be getting to bed until 9 pm at the earliest. If the game had been a Sunday day game we'd have been there.

Don't see a lot wrong with the crowd figure.

As I mentioned in another thread, unfortunately for me the match clashed with TOD Jr's footy.

So I wore my clash jumper while I watched the game on TV. :stern look

EDIT: Just read the last few pages of the "North should wear blue shorts" thread and I no longer have any idea what our clash jumper is. :even sterner look

40,000 members thus far.
Balmy Sunday arvo.

My theory of the conservative relationship between crowd numbers and membership numbers, is that you expect 50% of members to turn up at the game. We ignore the blockbuster factor which would attract bandwagon type of members and neutral fans as well (Anzac Day, Easter Monday, Grand Final etc). If the team are going interstate, in particular to WA for East teams, or vice versa, the expectations drops to 10%.

It seems to be true; Lets look at Collingwood vs Hawthorn. Each have approx 70k-80k, so 35-40k each, so the crowds would be between 70-80k. 75k in the game round 14 2015.

North vs Freo: 23,300.
North membership is 40k, so we expect 20k to turn up.
Fremantle has 50k but they are interstate so we expect 10% to turn up. There we have it, 25k approximate. We could say North membership is actually 35k if we are going to exclude Tassie and the figure would be more accurate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back