Tertiary and Continuing Which degrees are useless/useful?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah more the BA/Project Management. What kind of degrees are suitable for a job like this?
Computer Science or Software Engineering.

You essentially want to do a programming degree. As a BAor "producer" and eventually project manager, your job would be to take requirements from users, write the spec, guide coders through the spec, then test the progy. You don't have to program but you have to have good understanding of SDLC. Eventually as a project manager, you just coordinate everyone and lead the direction of the project (how you're going to do it and what technologies you will use).

Working in technical departments incorporating IT since 1997, and managing one for the last 5
And what do these technical departments do? I'm assuming help desk and internal IT. Do you know what pre-sales is? BDM? Network engineer? Standard pay for these dudes is $150k.

Now do I need to go find a heap of job ads to prove that you have it wrong?

If you make it to senior management you'll be on big coin in pretty much any field, but if you're looking at doing a degree to earn some good coin straight off the bat there's better options than IT, imo.
Who said anything about "straight off the bat". And all the people I'm talking about are not managers.

Going by your posting style You sound like an alias of some banned bay 13 supergenius, so prob leave it at that
Nope. But I'm guessing you want to "leave it at that" because you sort of know you are wrong.

IMO currently in Australia a science degree is equivalent to an arts degree, essentially worthless without (and in most cases with) further study.

Couldn't be more wrong.

Anyone who had a degree in the past 5 years could of done well. You didn't even need a degree with the state of Australia's booming economy. Now you need more study and a masters is basically a requirement.

Generic undergrad degrees such as BA and BSc are little more than pathways into postgrad degrees where the serious study takes place. They're worth very little as stand-alone degrees, and become mostly irrelevant once you get through them and move on to proper postgrad degrees that'll actually make you competitive in the workforce.

I did 2 years of Civil Engineering degree and found it very difficult
So I went a did a year of a Biomedical Science degree but stopped
I finally completed a Accounting degree which I found rather easy and so far it has rewarded me quite well financially

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright guys...

I'm close to finishing three stand alone degrees... BA (Internet Communication), Bit (Computing Studies; essentially a programming degree) and Bbus in Business (majoring in Management and Marketing). (Sidenote: I originally started with the intention of gaining the knowledge to start a business (again, I likely will after gaining a year or so experience).)

Without heading into postgrad courses (which I likely will) are any of those degrees useless? What types of employment am I looking at?

What are the thoughts on International Relations degrees?
I'm doing my first year of Law/International Relations at La Trobe. Really wanted to get in because I had a real interest in international politics. It's nothing more than ok at the moment. The core subjects are quite boring, but the electives are pretty broad, which is good. I'm doing an anthropology elective this semester after doing a history elective last semester.

It's essentially an Arts degree but with an international politics major really, so you might find it difficult to get work. If you want to work at DFAT, you'd be competing with people who have done Law/IR which will put you at a disadvantage.

I'd recommend doing it with a Law degree. With that said, I think it makes you more employable than an Arts student.

for those interested in making as much money as possible - keep in mind that the richest people in the world are NOT doctors and lawyers - they are businesspeople. so go study commerce (or join all the w***ers in actuaries).

and please don't anyone study medicine primarily for the money - there are enough shitty uninterested doctors in this country. also please dont study medicine if your english is shithouse.

for what it's worth, i study arts/science :D

for those interested in making as much money as possible - keep in mind that the richest people in the world are NOT doctors and lawyers - they are businesspeople. so go study commerce (or join all the w***ers in actuaries).

and please don't anyone study medicine primarily for the money - there are enough shitty uninterested doctors in this country. also please dont study medicine if your english is shithouse.

for what it's worth, i study arts/science :D

Speaks volumes :D

studied Engineering/Finance in my undergraduate

now studying Accounting in postgraduate level

What I can say is studying Arts is useless, also studying Finance or Economics as a lone major , makes you one out of a million graduates applying for jobs.

do something to do with health and you'll be guaranteed a job somewhere. money might not be huge but the security and job prospects are second to none

studied Engineering/Finance in my undergraduate

now studying Accounting in postgraduate level

What I can say is studying Arts is useless, also studying Finance or Economics as a lone major , makes you one out of a million graduates applying for jobs.

I guess it depends on what you want to get out of University. While it may be pretty much useless as a degree itself, there is no doubt there are some very interesting subjects you can take in an Arts degree and some people take University as a chance to broaden their horizon educationally.

Doing Arts by itself though is very limiting however (unless you know exactly what you want to do). Coupling it with Law or Commerce is generallly a good idea

You don't need to couple it with anything. Do an arts degree, then do some postgraduate study. Takes as long as a law degree, and law is a big slog if you have no interest in being a lawyer.

Christ, it shits me that law courses are full of kids who did well at school, but are only doing the degree just because it makes them 'more employable". It just drives up the entrance mark for people who would genuinely like to practice law, but didn't get the prohibitively high ENTER score.

In terms of general intellectual skills, you won't get anything from law that you can't get from an arts degree. Employers who treat a law degree as some hoop to be jumped through, or as proof of intelligence, deserve a bullet.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor an arts graduate.

I'm finding that the arts degree that I'm doing has thus far been one of the best things that has happened to me. Of course, I'm also doing IT and Business (as stated on the previous page in this thread) but the Arts degree has been a major coup as each day it opens my eyes to the world even more. Without it I don't think that I would be able to put my IT and Business skills to their maximum potential.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back