Which team is closer to a flag: Richmond or North Melbourne?

Which team is closer to a flag?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why go Tigers fans say this, like they're the Hawks. It's just not true.

Beaten all top sides other than WC (coming off the bye). Done it interstate and in Vic. That is by definition can beat anyone anywhere. The big issue seems to be finals. Especially finals against teams that match up well and plan their tiger assault carefully. Partly mental issues, partly weaknesses in the squad that opposition teams exploited. Which is why it is so frustrating to a Richmond supporter. Can do but don't - in finals.

North have a problem, they go alright in the finals but they are not a good home and away team. I dont think they will have a real chance unless they are a top four home away side, which recent history tells they are not. Starting from each of the coaches first year of 2010. I guess this is why we compare these two teams, Hardwick chose to do a full rebuild while Scott tried to extract more from the current list with top up players.

North 2010 9th
North 2011 9th
North 2012 8th
North 2013 10th
North 2014 6th
North 2015 8th

Clearly hovering around middle table and considering their aging list, might miss altogether this year.

Richmonds problem is winning a final, but that's just above the shoulders stuff.

Richmond 2010 15th
Richmond 2011 12th
Richmond 2012 12th
Richmond 2013 5th
Richmond 2014 8th
Richmond 2015 5th

They should be aiming for top four this year as that is the first step to winning a flag, then win a final. Norths problem is they keep missing the first step to winning a grand-final, and thats finishing top four.

Based on this while I think Richmond are closer than North, that's not to say the team is good enough to do so.

North have a problem, they go alright in the finals but they are not a good home and away team. I dont think they will have a real chance unless they are a top four home away side, which recent history tells they are not. Starting from each of the coaches first year of 2010. I guess this is why we compare these two teams, Hardwick chose to do a full rebuild while Scott tried to extract more from the current list with top up players.

North 2010 9th
North 2011 9th
North 2012 8th
North 2013 10th
North 2014 6th
North 2015 8th

Clearly hovering around middle table and considering their aging list, might miss altogether this year.

Richmonds problem is winning a final, but that's just above the shoulders stuff.

Richmond 2010 15th
Richmond 2011 12th
Richmond 2012 12th
Richmond 2013 5th
Richmond 2014 8th
Richmond 2015 5th

They should be aiming for top four this year as that is the first step to winning a flag, then win a final. Norths problem is they keep missing the first step to winning a grand-final, and thats finishing top four.

Based on this while I think Richmond are closer than North, that's not to say the team is good enough to do so.

Hmm, logic. Interesting strategy.

None of the them will win a flag with their current sides.

North are best of the worst and worst of the best. The only reason they've made preliminary finals is the fact that they've beaten sides below them in the elimination finals, and they've beaten sides who are injury depleted in the semis. Very overrated side.

Richmond.... Well, the are just not a good side. Yet, looking at what their supporters are saying with arrogance is they they're pretty much guaranteed the flag. They'll get nowhere near it. A pretty crappy team with an even crappier coach. They will not win a flag with the overrated players they have (rance, Cotchin, Martin etc.)

Rance is overrated? Oh yeah...

Beaten all top sides other than WC (coming off the bye). Done it interstate and in Vic. That is by definition can beat anyone anywhere. The big issue seems to be finals. Especially finals against teams that match up well and plan their tiger assault carefully. Partly mental issues, partly weaknesses in the squad that opposition teams exploited. Which is why it is so frustrating to a Richmond supporter. Can do but don't - in finals.
You haven't beaten a proper North side since 2011.

North will miss their chance imo. Not good enough for a premiership and will lose several players from 2017 onwards. We have another gear and addressed our needs over the preseason

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think either of these teams have the midfield quality + depth to win a premiership...off the top of my head the last team to win a win the flag without a gun midfield brigade would be Sydney in '05 but you could also argue that Hawthorn's in '08 falls into that category as well.

You haven't beaten a proper North side since 2011.

:D:rolleyes:

Oh to be a North fan. Part of an exclusive group that just knows they are God's true children.

Anyway, enough of the nark. The OP was about who is closer. My answer, and that of others was fairly even - both teams could. Then I stated (along with other tigers) that we have shown we can beat anyone anywhere. Well we have. So making comments like yours is fine. But, in the end North has rolled the dice on a bunch of old guys coming in and winning a premiership soon. The tigers have 'rolled the dice' on building a squad that will last for a while as finalists, with the best yet to come.

North has definitely a better finals record recently, and so can say makes them closer to the prize. Good on you. One on one the North team is very well matched to the Tiger team. Deep group of quality big inside mids, good tall forwards. Few teams have that structure. We tend to match up well with the Hawks, Sydney and Freo. Which all goes to prove not very much. I'd be willing to bet that in 3 years the Tigers will be closer than North. 2016 is another issue entirely. If we play to our potential we will be top 4, maybe top 2. After that September performances are what matter. North has the ability to go very close, and if they can go top4 could go all the way. But I am quietly confident that we have addressed our major weaknesses and some of the young guys could really step up. I expect a much stronger tiger team in 2016.

Starting from each of the coaches first year of 2010... Hardwick chose to do a full rebuild while Scott tried to extract more from the current list with top up players.

Que? I think both coaches kept the players worth keeping and have both drafted and traded to develop the list. The difference, I suspect, is that our top end players were older and have longevity. We've kept our top 3 draft picks every year. The Dal Santo, Waite and Higgins issue (free agents) seems to have created an unshakeable belief we haven't been bringing in kids; it's just that in the last 2-3 years they've had less opportunity than those that came in in 2010-2012.

North... go alright in the finals but they are not a good home and away team.

...OR, we could reverse the conclusion:

North's problem is winning enough home and away games, but that's just above the shoulders stuff.

Richmond go alright in the home and away season, but they are not a good finals team.

Oh to be a North fan. Part of an exclusive group that just knows they are God's true children.
What god? o_O

I am quietly confident that we have addressed our major weaknesses and some of the young guys could really step up. I expect a much stronger tiger team in 2016.
Because there is no god, or he/she/it hasn't enlightened me, I'm curious to know your thinking here. Not trolling, interested. Like most opposition supporters (of any club) my knowledge of other clubs is cursory. I don't see the current Richmond side as having the capacity to win a premiership, so would like to know what you're seeing.

North 2010 9th
North 2011 9th
North 2012 8th
North 2013 10th
North 2014 6th
North 2015 8th

Richmond 2010 15th
Richmond 2011 12th
Richmond 2012 12th
Richmond 2013 5th
Richmond 2014 8th
Richmond 2015 5th

Your premise is somewhat flawed.

Both coaches took over clubs rebuilding. you finished 3rd last in 09 and we finished 5th last. So the fact that we achieved two 9th place finishes in 2010 and 11, punching above our weight should not be held against us.

2012 and 13 we were a middle of the road side, no doubt.

2014 we finished 6th, a couple of wins of 4th place.

2015, all we had to do was field a decent side in round 23 and we would have beaten you, finishing 5th. With you finishing 6th as it turned out.

No doubt both of us need to improve and become more consistent throughout the year or top 4, and a real chance at a flag are just not realistic.

The one thing we have over you is that we do not have a massive monkey on our back come September.

You can play 16 other teams and duh North is one team, the one team you can't beat thus you can't beat "anyone, anywhere".
bring it on again I say. you rested players but it still counts as a win:p ill take that over your lot.ever since that game we drew (where you came back from a decent defecit) you guys have had a our measure sadly.

Neither is capable of a flag in their current cycle, so who knows.
My thoughts on it exactly, they have both fallen short this cycle and will need to start again like the Bulldogs had to after making 3 prelims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back