Whisk(e)y Thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

I have about 30 whiskeys and about 8 are currently open. One is the Talisker that I opened about 12 months ago and still three quarters full, just not an overly enjoyable peated whiskey at all.
Each to their own . I relish it.
What would you say is your fave ?

Each to their own, that's what's so good about whiskey, you can find one to suit your tastes and there's no wrong answers, but man I couldn't finish my nip of Talisker a few weeks back, just a dirty ashtray taste
For me its the ardberg that tastes like an ashtray. where i get all these interesting flavours in the talisker. Clearly it can be quite subjective.

Rotating between some classics atm, my days of chasing rare and limited releases are done.
Depending on my mood I'm reaching for either a Lagavulin 16, Redbreast 12 (or sometimes the cask strength), Nikka from the barrel or Rare Breed, these cover most of my bases.
I have another 30+ open bottles, but they can rest for a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rotating between some classics atm, my days of chasing rare and limited releases are done.
Depending on my mood I'm reaching for either a Lagavulin 16, Redbreast 12 (or sometimes the cask strength), Nikka from the barrel or Rare Breed, these cover most of my bases.
I have another 30+ open bottles, but they can rest for a bit.

Way to make a man jealous Sheesh . ;)

Picked up a bottle of this while on holiday, namely because I'd never tried Belgian whisky before.

It's alright, however it runs into the new distillery issue of needing to sell whisky to keep the money coming in, so it's not aged nearly as long as it could be so the whisky isn't as mellow.

BTN-01202021201821000000-6008900dde8fa.png

Picked up a bottle of this while on holiday, namely because I'd never tried Belgian whisky before.

It's alright, however it runs into the new distillery issue of needing to sell whisky to keep the money coming in, so it's not aged nearly as long as it could be so the whisky isn't as mellow.

BTN-01202021201821000000-6008900dde8fa.png

Standard 8 year old? Age doesnt matter mate.. How'd it taste?

I wish, 36 months.

Ok. Well thats the minimum for a whisky to be called a "Whisky" I have really no idea about how it all works, I assumed from past memory that 8 years was the norm... but there ya go. As long as you enjoyed it. ;)

60th-whisky-review-23rd-australian-whisky-review-kinglake-v0-m0u4b78n6yva1.jpg

Picked up a bottle of Kinglake French Oak Single Malt Whisky the other week. They're only a young distillery (~3 years) and this reflected in the immaturity of the whisky, but keen to see what they're putting out in 2-3 years time once they hit that sweet spot for maturation of whisky in Victoria.

FWIW Maturation and Aging arent exactly the same thing.

Aussie and Sub Continental climates (India is doing some good stuff) dont need the same maturation times as the colder Scot/Irish Whiskeys.

So if you see some of the Aussie and other expressions are "only" 3-10 years old dont be put off. Rampur had a stall at Whisky live on Saturday and they were close to best in show for me. Closely followed by Cheifs Son (who were next to Lark and IMO had much better product).

These whiskeys are only aged/matured for 3-5 years generally but have had alot more exposure to elements, distillation and evaporation.

These whiskeys should be judged on their expressions and notes than their age. They will be similar mature to much older cold climate whiskeys but not aged nearly as long (and i say that as a Lagavulin 16 year man).

Shout out to the Octomore guys for not actually having any Octomore for sampling until 30 minutes to go. I was 100% buying either the 13.1 or 13.2 but without a sample wasnt keen to fork over $200 for a bottle so walked away without, shithouse effort.

Anyone else hit Whiskey Live?

FWIW Maturation and Aging arent exactly the same thing.

Aussie and Sub Continental climates (India is doing some good stuff) dont need the same maturation times as the colder Scot/Irish Whiskeys.

So if you see some of the Aussie and other expressions are "only" 3-10 years old dont be put off. Rampur had a stall at Whisky live on Saturday and they were close to best in show for me. Closely followed by Cheifs Son (who were next to Lark and IMO had much better product).

These whiskeys are only aged/matured for 3-5 years generally but have had alot more exposure to elements, distillation and evaporation.

These whiskeys should be judged on their expressions and notes than their age. They will be similar mature to much older cold climate whiskeys but not aged nearly as long (and i say that as a Lagavulin 16 year man).

Shout out to the Octomore guys for not actually having any Octomore for sampling until 30 minutes to go. I was 100% buying either the 13.1 or 13.2 but without a sample wasnt keen to fork over $200 for a bottle so walked away without, shithouse effort.

Anyone else hit Whiskey Live?
Didn’t this year, did last year. Always an event worth checking out.

So I'm thinking of starting an infinity bottle. Anyone here done (or should I say doing) this and got any tips?

I'm an Islay kind of guy but I think I'll leave them out, too strong. Perhaps start with some Speyside/Highland mixes, and over time add dashes of stuff from elsewhere, even some Aussie or Japanese stuff.

Good way to keep the decanter reasonably full and have something different on offer.

So I'm thinking of starting an infinity bottle. Anyone here done (or should I say doing) this and got any tips?

I'm an Islay kind of guy but I think I'll leave them out, too strong. Perhaps start with some Speyside/Highland mixes, and over time add dashes of stuff from elsewhere, even some Aussie or Japanese stuff.

Good way to keep the decanter reasonably full and have something different on offer.
I'd never heard of it until your comment and now I'm incredibly curious.

Although I'd be worried I'd end up wasting good whiskey by mixing ones that really don't work together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back