Conspiracy Theory Who here has changed their opinion that human CO2 emissions are the main cause of global warming?

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread is starting to trend the same way too, people trying to dazzle us with all sorts of brilliant warmist-skewering data and graphs despite they themselves knowing f--- all about the area.

Again, why would you believe politicians and journos over scientists?

Never understood the whole climate change thing. As far as I can tell the world has been heating up everyday since we started coming out of an ice age......In a way we are being taxed on air

It's about attempting to put a price on parts of the production process that have been otherwise externalities - It's not being 'taxed on air', rather an attempt to bring in the 'polluter pays principle' - Even Hayak, the father of free markets, was an advocate for this.

Whether or not the carbon tax encapsulates this very well is certainly up for debate, I'm fairly ambivilant about it. I don't think it'll hit struggling families nearly as much as some people claim (like Puddy and his cost of living rants), and it's most vocal critics are mostly just politically point scoring on an ideological basis.

I'm a climate change skeptic. Sue me.

No you're not. You're a climate change denier. A skeptic would recognise that climate science is terribly complicated and way beyond over their head, and defer to the people who have spent their lives studying it in order to form their opinion. It's not ideal, but we can't be experts on everything. Accept that the climate scientists probably know a lot better than you.

No you're not. You're a climate change denier. A skeptic would recognise that climate science is terribly complicated and way beyond over their head, and defer to the people who have spent their lives studying it in order to form their opinion. It's not ideal, but we can't be experts on everything. Accept that the climate scientists probably know a lot better than you.

Yeah it's over my head. A man of religion could tell you far more about God than I could, too. Alarmists, show me a model which has come within a bull's roar of predicting global climate over the past decade or GTFO.

Happy melting.

Yeah it's over my head. A man of religion could tell you far more about God than I could, too. Alarmists, show me a model which has come within a bull's roar of predicting global climate over the past decade or GTFO.

Happy melting.

Show me a (relevant) scientist that is against it. I mean, if all the models are out by at least one unit of bulls roar, there must be heaps of them.

Happy melting.

Disagree with that. If you want to know about God, ask an atheist. They've actually read the religious texts; religious people rarely if ever do.

Not to mention there's a world of difference between imaginary beings and actual physical data you can sample and measure - ice cores, tree rings and so on. It's possible to extract CO2 samples from ice cores (from the bubbles) and calculate how much was in the atmosphere at any point in that sample.

The result? We've got the highest concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere now for at least the last 650,000 years. It's shot up in the last century or so - precisely correlated with the Industrial revoluation. It doesn't mean man is so evil to have done it, because until very recently the knowledge of what we were doing and the technologies to measure it didn't exist (apart from a few isolated voices). But we do know in 2014 what is the cause and what will be the likely effect.

Happy melting.

You honestly expect accuracy over a period as short as a decade? Climate is extremely changeable from year to year, and our methods of short-term prediction are imperfect but being constantly refined. What matters is not specific predictions for the next year, or the next decade, what matters are the more general predictions for the next 30, 40, 50 years. And even then, we don't know EXACTLY what will happen.

The focus on predictions and modeling has done climate science a pretty big disservice, to be honest. Al Gore, for all his good intentions, has contributed to that. People are failing to see the forest for the trees. For all that the occasional prediction or model might prove incorrect, what is undeniable is that the process of climate change is still happening, and that a fundamental mechanism by which this is happening is human-produced CO2.

You honestly expect accuracy over a period as short as a decade? Climate is extremely changeable from year to year, and our methods of short-term prediction are imperfect but being constantly refined. What matters is not specific predictions for the next year, or the next decade, what matters are the more general predictions for the next 30, 40, 50 years. And even then, we don't know EXACTLY what will happen.

Yes, the methods are imperfect. Canada's CanESM2 failed miserably to anticipate short-term trends; its website now carries the following disclaimer: "Climate models attempt to represent the full climate system from first principles on large scales. Physical "parameterizations" are used to approximate the effects of unresolved small scale processes because it is not economically feasible to include detailed representations of these processes in present day models. Caution is therefore needed when comparing climate model output with observations or analyses on spatial scales shorter than several grid lengths (hundreds of km), or when using model output to study the impacts of climate variability and change. The user is further cautioned that estimates of climate variability and change obtained from climate model results are subject to sampling variability."

If someone claimed we're heading for an Ice Age, they'd be right eventually. Speaking of which, solar scientists give a probability of around 20% of a mini-Ice Age occurring within 40 years.

The focus on predictions and modeling has done climate science a pretty big disservice, to be honest. Al Gore, for all his good intentions, has contributed to that. People are failing to see the forest for the trees. For all that the occasional prediction or model might prove incorrect, what is undeniable is that the process of climate change is still happening, and that a fundamental mechanism by which this is happening is human-produced CO2.

Meteorologist struggle to get forecasts right on a day to day basis. Some places are easier than others to predict, so general predictions for 30-50 years..etc. is a massive guess and by IPCC standards they have a 400% variability, that's how accurate these so called experts are. As far as suggesting global warming is the result of human produced CO2, this is where all the guessing comes from. If CO2 was the reason, then why haven't temperatures matched CO2 levels?

Global warming nut jobs/believers are the new age Mormons. They only stick to and agree with themselves while trying to convert anyone that is stupid enough to listen. Sad thing is that the science isn't conclusive yet these Greenies love cherry picking data to support their views. I always have a laugh when they went from "Global Warming" to "Climate Change"... s**t the climate changes every season. Go figure! :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread is starting to trend the same way too, people trying to dazzle us with all sorts of brilliant warmist-skewering data and graphs despite they themselves knowing f--- all about the area.

Again, why would you believe politicians and journos over scientists?

Well I'm one who doesn't know. And, why would I believe journos' and politicians over scientists , is because science is all based on theories that are correct sometimes and are not correct other times. But I don't believe Journos' half the time and I don't believe politicians about 95% of the time.

Now to global warming or climate change, I sort of know from what I've read that climate change has been going on forever, or for 13 billion years? ha ha .
What do ya think of this???
Global warming is a part of climate change?
We put more carbon into the air in these modern industrial times?
We COULD be changing the climate by our emissions?
We have become a dirtier planet because of population explosion, and we are greedy bastards and we pollute everything (that's not a question) .
The planet earth is almost beyond our imagination in relation to its size? ( for example apparently there is a place on this planet somewhere where if you stood 7 billion people side by side and one on top of the other closely you could fit them all in a small lake or deep cave or whatever , its like putting 7 billion ants in a 44 gallon drum and then, comparing the drum to Western Australia.)

In other words our little smart alec brains don't really comprehend the earth size, even with giant speedy jet planes, there fore maybe the world is too big to be affected by we, who think we're everything?????? ( you'd ask yourself why do people in the middle of the Aussie desert, broken down , realise they are 20 ks from a highway and try to walk, in the middle of a hot season?? Because they think its close in walking terms, its in most cases impossible and people have no idea they just think "its not that far" and thats a lousy 20 ks.)They get lost ? AND IT IS THAT FAR!
Every man/woman and his dog has a theory?
One scientist sees this, another sees that?
Mars travel would be so costly that the Mars mission however confidant the space boys sound is not worth the lives and the money we would spend to ever get there? Imagine the accidents the failures on the way , even if we did get there the cost of life and money is NOT WORTH IT?
So some of these people are the scientists that are telling us about global this and that! Someone has to study it, doesn't make them experts on something they can never prove absolutely?
PS That's not to say we didn't reach the moon, we did, but Mars hunting, will kill the world and the economies and the people, massive depressions?

So I guess some scientists make guess work theory into reality sometimes, I 'd like them to forget about all this crap about global warming climate change and get out there and clean the planet and cut carbon emissions, whether they need to, or not, it makes the joint cleaner, then spend the money they waste on Mars or other stupid things and put it into medical research, and if they have to go somewhere to re settle humans, go to the Moon?
Its easier??????
But remember, one day the Sun will burn out or implode or explode and bingo, we are not here any more , for ever. We'll be groups of energy floating around in space, or spirits, as the clergy like to think. If we're lucky we'll be able to say hello.

Lets have this , great satellites for communication, not war, medical science given top priority in the world of research , and of course ,

THE AFL GRAND FINAL ALWAYS PLAYED ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?

I just dont see why we need to prove that climate change is real to stop us from using precious fossil fuels. Why we need to prove that climate change is real for the world to invest in renewable industries.... Why we need climate change to convince us to stop pumping millions of tonnes a day of poisonous gasses into our only atmosphere?..... Why do people search for excuses to ignore this, why do people want to continue down this path?
These people are a cancer on this planet.

Is this actually a thing? Surely no one is questioning the science anymore. It's only a matter of degrees. What the extreme capitalists out there can't stand is that we need a level of control on our economy not seen since WW2 to keep it under 2 degrees. If we get past that stage run away warming of over 6 degrees is a certainty and over the next millenia or two the largest extinction event ever to occur on earth will play out.

The anthropecene will be complete. I assume that a pocket of a few thousand humans will survive somewhere, which will be enough for the species to continue. However, even if that doesn't happen if an intelligent species were to evolve in the future they would see evidence of our existence with a tiny band in the geological record where there is a huge spike in CO2 in the rocks and some rocks having plastics in them.

Is this actually a thing? Surely no one is questioning the science anymore. It's only a matter of degrees. What the extreme capitalists out there can't stand is that we need a level of control on our economy not seen since WW2 to keep it under 2 degrees. If we get past that stage run away warming of over 6 degrees is a certainty and over the next millenia or two the largest extinction event ever to occur on earth will play out.

The anthropecene will be complete. I assume that a pocket of a few thousand humans will survive somewhere, which will be enough for the species to continue. However, even if that doesn't happen if an intelligent species were to evolve in the future they would see evidence of our existence with a tiny band in the geological record where there is a huge spike in CO2 in the rocks and some rocks having plastics in them.
This definitely belongs in this BF board.

I just dont see why we need to prove that climate change is real to stop us from using precious fossil fuels. Why we need to prove that climate change is real for the world to invest in renewable industries.... Why we need climate change to convince us to stop pumping millions of tonnes a day of poisonous gasses into our only atmosphere?..... Why do people search for excuses to ignore this, why do people want to continue down this path?
These people are a cancer on this planet.
Most of this does as well. It is always good to see these threads keep ticking over!

Global temperatures leapt in February, lifting warming from pre-industrial levels to beyond 1.5 degrees, and stoking concerns about a "climate emergency".

According to NASA analysis, average temperatures last month were 1.35 degrees above the norm for the 1951-1980 period.

They smashed the previous biggest departure from the average - set only in the previous month - by 0.21 degrees.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/environmen...scientists-20160313-gni10t.html#ixzz42qNRUVMQ

A spokesman for the fossil fuel industry has come out with the following statement:

eeb410160644fef1c8f717707b350a7d.jpg

Global warming nut jobs/believers are the new age Mormons. They only stick to and agree with themselves while trying to convert anyone that is stupid enough to listen. Sad thing is that the science isn't conclusive yet these Greenies love cherry picking data to support their views. I always have a laugh when they went from "Global Warming" to "Climate Change"... s**t the climate changes every season. Go figure! :drunk:
So you laugh because you don't understand it. Each to their own I guess :rolleyes:
When they say Global warming they are referring to the Glasshouse effect on the planet caused by the buildup of CO2 emmissions. If you ever stood inside a glasshouse you'd understand the concept.
Climate Change is the effect that warming has on the planet as a whole, and it's not just warming - it also involves freezing, ocean levels rising, ocean currents changing, bigger, stronger and more frequent weather events. Basically as the whole global system warms up the more chaotic it becomes.

I'm actually have an environmental/geology degree mate, so I think I know what you're talking about.... The science isn't conclusive enough to say for 100% certain that the Earths climate is changing due to the effects of humans. Until it is conclusive I will enjoy using my smartphone, computers, my car, and many other luxuries we all take for granted.

I'm not against a clean energy future and actually I fully support the use of nuclear power plants (which IMO are the most cost effective and efficient energy use), but I just can't buy into the hysteria the media and politicians have led you to believe. If we were as concerned as we are today about 'climate change' in the 1970s we would all be saying the earth is entering another ice age... oh wait

http://www.populartechnology.net/2013/02/the-1970s-global-cooling-alarmism.html

Now that was just one example about the volatility of the earths climate. The fact is it changes every year and we could try to predict the future climate of the Earth but the fact is we have failed in the past and we will fail again in the future. I mean climatologists/meteorologists have trouble predicting tomorrows weather forecast...

I'm actually have an environmental/geology degree mate, so I think I know what you're talking about.... The science isn't conclusive enough to say for 100% certain that the Earths climate is changing due to the effects of humans. Until it is conclusive I will enjoy using my smartphone, computers, my car, and many other luxuries we all take for granted.

I'm not against a clean energy future and actually I fully support the use of nuclear power plants (which IMO are the most cost effective and efficient energy use), but I just can't buy into the hysteria the media and politicians have led you to believe. If we were as concerned as we are today about 'climate change' in the 1970s we would all be saying the earth is entering another ice age... oh wait

http://www.populartechnology.net/2013/02/the-1970s-global-cooling-alarmism.html

Now that was just one example about the volatility of the earths climate. The fact is it changes every year and we could try to predict the future climate of the Earth but the fact is we have failed in the past and we will fail again in the future. I mean climatologists/meteorologists have trouble predicting tomorrows weather forecast...
Okay then what would we be seeing now that would lead to you believie that the evidence is conclusive and that a 5 degree increase in 100 years is inevitable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back