Strategy Who to play as the sub?

Remove this Banner Ad

Centurions

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Over the year, we haven't had anyone really stand up in the subs role and have an impact as such though I was a fan of the run Weller bought into the side when he came in for his first game but he is unlikely to be picked for this game.

Who would be our best choice for the role given it is likely to be a choice between De Boer, Suban, C. Pearce or Mzungu? I can't see Crowley being picked given his lack of match fitness for over a year.

What are your thoughts?

What! De Boer has been half decent as of late.

Suban shouldn't even get a game from his last non-performance. If it were me I'd have Langdon as sub but if it has to be an established player either Clancee or Mzungu.

In all honesty, it's 6:1 to half a dozen the other with those 4. They have all had good games this year but they have all had bad games as well so it's more about what they bring on the day than who actually gets picked. Pretty tough.

I quite liked DeBoer's work as sub early in the year. However i'd be inclined to start him on Birchall.

Mzungu if he playes should be sub.

I don't understand why it isn't always a player with speed and attacking intent, like a Weller or Langdon. Given the amount of coaches though who select players outside that mould I'm obviously missing something. Ross isn't alone in his use of what I call questionable sub selections, thank goodness it's gotten the heave ho for next year.

With the team we're likely to select I'd have the vest go to Suban this week. I reckon MDB has done enough to start in the 21.

Don't want to see MDB in the vest. We need run from our sub not a contested player. Very doubtful Ross will select Weller or Langdon for such a big game so I'll go with Gu or Suban.

While I want this:

IN: Taberner, A.Pearce
OUT: C.Pearce, Mzungu
SUB: Suban

It won't happen and will most likely be this:

IN: Taberner
OUT: C.Pearce
SUB: Suban/MDB/Mzungu

I always thought that someone like Lovett-Murray (who Essendon used as their sub fairly regularly) was the sort of player that you wanted coming off the bench....lightning quick player who could really have an impact when others were tired.

Given our options I would have thought that either Suban or Mzungu were the best bets.

Given it will be experienced player, would have gone with Suban. But his last game was a joke, how will he work himself into the game, if couldn't do that in 3 qtrs.

Since Gu is our best runner might be best it's him.

Suban as the sub for me . Weller was ok in his first game but was not good in his second . Langdon would fit the bill nicely as he has speed and is an elite running machine . Mzungu failed as the Sub . The guy can run and get to contests but he is not an impact player . Clancee is down on confidence at the present time .I would bring in Crowley to start and When he is done and dusted then sub in Suban that gives the team a better balance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given it will be experienced player, would have gone with Suban. But his last game was a joke, how will he work himself into the game, if couldn't do that in 3 qtrs.

Since Gu is our best runner might be best it's him.
He's ur best endurance runner... why would that make him a good sub? Need someone quick and frenetic who will run themselves ragged in the last and tear it up. Should be Weller. Or even A Pearce.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back