Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
Who hit E3 out of the park?
Did you find any underwhelming?

What games are you excited for from E3?

For me I would say MS had the best conference.

Just a slick presentation with back to back games.

Japanese games such as Shadows Die Twice & Devil May Cry 5 showing up on their stage.
Which were originally thought to be PS4 exclusives.

Exclusives like Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5, Halo Infinite & Ori all looked excellent.

They also have invested in first party studios and set a vision for the future.

Confirmed Playground Games are working on an AAA RPG title.

Confirmed the next Xbox is underway.

Exciting future for Xbox and competition in gaming is only good for us gamers.

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
MS had a strong conference, but only because of 3rd party games. and did nothing to make me want to buy a X1 again
Sony had 3 great gameplay demos. but not much else.

in terms of who had the better conference of the 3 consoles MS "won" but in showing exclusives Sony beat them

it was probably a tie. there were no real colossal games (Metroid, Red Dead, FF VII etc.), i know there was KH3 and Halo and Smash but last year was probably too big an act to follow in terms of jaw dropping, internet stopping hype. Microsoft certainly do a good job wrapping up every game into this neat classy package but to me they're basically movie trailers, how much gameplay was in their presentation, minutes? this E3 was kinda like one big sizzle reel

TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
With MS releasing the XB1X they now have a great platform to play third party games and it's not underpowered anymore.

The highlight from Sony's conference for me was Death Stranding.
Big fan of Kojima & MGS.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I think I liked more games on Microsoft’s show. It also helped that Bethesda came straight after. For me the Microsoft + Bethesda combo was the winner. However Sony still feels like the big dog with how grand their first party titles are even if they don’t interest me as much. Ghost of Tsushima was one of my biggest takes from the entire thing though.

Sep 17, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens
Microsoft had the best conference. They went big by announcing games from their two biggest franchises and splashing the cash for a bunch of studios.

Ninja Theory is a fantastic acquisition off of the back of Hellblade. They also got to show off Cyberpunk, which despite being multiplat was still a great game to showcase.

Nintendo & Sony had okay conferences without being amazing. But this was a weaker E3 overall for me. I'm not sure if that was because Walmart leaked everything or because most of it was announced before the show.

Charliebrow 16

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Federer, Birmingham FC
I think Microsoft had an excellent conference. Any time that you get to showcase the likes of Halo, Gears of War, Crackdown and Forza all in the one event, you know that you're onto a winner. In saying that, a lot of those non Microsoft publishing "exclusives" they showcased were a bit misleading. Most of those games you would think are coming straight to PS4 as soon as those agreements expire. Still a few good gets though!

But I think in terms of games as a whole, I have to give it to Sony. Spiderman, TLOU 2, Death Stranding, Ghosts, Nioh 2, Resident Evil 2 remake. These were the games that speak to me most, the games I'm most excited to play and that's why I'm leaning towards Sony. No doubt Microsoft had the best overall "presentation" though.

TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
I think Microsoft had an excellent conference. Any time that you get to showcase the likes of Halo, Gears of War, Crackdown and Forza all in the one event, you know that you're onto a winner. In saying that, a lot of those non Microsoft publishing "exclusives" they showcased were a bit misleading. Most of those games you would think are coming straight to PS4 as soon as those agreements expire. Still a few good gets though!

But I think in terms of games as a whole, I have to give it to Sony. Spiderman, TLOU 2, Death Stranding, Ghosts, Nioh 2, Resident Evil 2 remake. These were the games that speak to me most, the games I'm most excited to play and that's why I'm leaning towards Sony. No doubt Microsoft had the best overall "presentation" though.

I didn't think i noticed any timed exclusives in MS conference.
Apart from maybe a couple minor indies.

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
Spiderman
Resident Evil 2
AC Odyssey
Cyberpunk
Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Rest meh.

The TR demo pushed me away. it went from likely buy day 1 to wait for December sales. It looked real rough after the CG trailer they show at the MS conference. It shows that it was made by a lesser studio.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Microsoft's conference seemed the most solid. They still don't have much in the way of exclusive titles, but they showed a lot of games overall and I thought their presentation format was better than Sony's. They also seem to be making big steps towards correcting the errors made with the Xbox One, the benefits of which may not be fully felt this gen but should hold them in good stead for the next one. The new studio acquisitions in particular, while not showing tangible results now, should mean the first-party gap between Sony and MS is not so significant as it has been recently.

Sony's games look good but they've also been showing the same stuff for the past 3 years.

mickelboy182

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets
Bethesda. Doom, Wolfenstein and TES.

Out of the console people, MS. People voting otherwise are pretty much guaranteed fanboys :D

Especially people voting Ninty, I'm watching their presser at the moment and it is padded with 30 minutes of Smash minutiae

Aug 23, 2007
Bay 131 @ (Port) Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies
Bethesda, EA and Square not in the conversation at all.

Bethesda's was the most disappointing for me as they usually nail their conferences. Waiting for applause after every sentence and spending way too much padding out the show with talking and "jokes". Good announcements with nothing to show from them didn't help, they used Doom Eternal to purely build hype for Quakecon. CG trailer for Wolfenstein Youngblood, a logo for Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI, too much time on mobile Elder Scrolls and that cringey performance before Rage 2. Legit made me angry.

MS "won" with the sheer amount of titles shown, as well as showing the next entry in the best racing series (Forza Horizon 4) and the smokey for GOTY 2019 (Ori and the Will of the Wisps) Pacing was on point and there were a few interesting looking Indie titles on top of all the AAA first looks. Ending with Cyberpunk hacking the conference was a great "oh s**t" moment.

Sony dropped the ball either side of TLOU 2 demo. You play a scenic trailer behind the banjo player (you know like the first trailer they used to announce the game) and it has a bigger impact. 15 minute "intermission" followed by a few minutes of flute solo was the worst start to any conference (yes even Bethesdas s**t). Thankfully they stopped ******* around and went back to games, games, games... even if they are games announced years ago.

Ghost of Tsushima looked really pretty but the gameplay did nothing for me, I'm still confused as to what Death Stranding is but in Kojima i trust, Spiderman looked really good, combat looked more varied than what i was expecting and Control was straight up Quantum Break 2 so there's some hype there. Resident Evil 2 Remake was the best game of the Sony conference by far, looked so good and surprisingly coming out sooner than I was expecting.

Nintendo had a couple of interesting titles that hadn't already been leaked in Super Mario Party and Daemon X Machina. Hollow Knight shadow drop was one of my favourite E3 moments, I've been waiting for that game since it got announced for Switch. Smash Bros Ultimate looks ridiculously packed with content but they spent way too much time on it which could've been used for titles like Yoshi, Travis Strikes Again or maybe some more Indie games showcased. Prior to that the pacing was on par with MS, the Smash info dump wasn't worth spending most of the Direct on.

I give them a slight pass as Nintendo have multiple Directs throughout the year and work close with the VGAs so some of the big hitters will get their time in the spotlight (Metroid, Animal Crossing, 2019 Pokemon, etc)

Ubisoft had some good Division details that didn't overstay it's welcome. AC Odyssey looks to be the most interesting AC game in years. Beyond Good and Evil 2 had a solid showing. New Trials is always a good thing, perfect for Switch. Did a complete 180 on Starlink once they showed the StarFox content (another "oh s**t" moment), there's just something jolly about the Nintendo x Ubisoft collaboration.

Overall it was a lesser E3 than previous years, I blame all the leaks but it's too hard to go completely dark on that sort of stuff when it leaks so early nowadays.

Last edited:

TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
Gotta say I was a bit worried Control (Remedy's new game) was a PS exclusive.
Which would have been a huge loss for MS.
Since all Remedy's other games were Xbox.
Happy to see it's multiplat.

I'll be getting a Pro for tax time.
Upgrading to XB1X before FH4.
I can hold off on Switch for now.

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
CD Projekt won it. Cyberpunk 2077 was, by far, the most interesting game shown at the conference. The trailer wowed almost everyone who watched it and the impressions from the demo has been nothing short of spectacular. If anything what they showed exceeded expectations and that's no mean feat when your last game was the best game released this generation.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
CD: PR. They will make me fall in love with FPP again

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Gotta say I was a bit worried Control (Remedy's new game) was a PS exclusive.
Which would have been a huge loss for MS.
Since all Remedy's other games were Xbox.
Happy to see it's multiplat.

I'll be getting a Pro for tax time.
Upgrading to XB1X before FH4.
I can hold off on Switch for now.

One X is amazing AC Origins looks so good in 4k,hdr also Gost Recon Wildlands looks great with the 4k,hdr patch

Jables

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NY Giants, Hornets, Bulls
Capcom, I barely give a stuff about anything else besides Doom, Sekiro and Nioh (hmm, maybe the weeb in me never died ...). Waiting on Cyberpunk gameplay to see if it's more Deus Ex than Fallout 4. Sunny vistas really don't suit Cyberpunk themes tbh but I liked the aesthetic otherwise.

Devil May Cry and RE2 were really my main takeaways from E3. A few seconds of High Rock or Hammerfell for a game 3 years away doesn't do anything for me these days. Death Stranding I am no less intrigued for, and yet I still know nothing about it.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
I dunno guys I found this E3 pretty good.
I must be in the minority though.

Same, I thought every showcase was good!!

Nintendo did better than people are saying. It's not like they had nothing, they had these.

Daemon X Machina
Starlink: Starfox
Mario Party
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Fire Emblem Treehouse
Pokemon Let's Go Evee.
Xenoblade 2 big DLC
Megaman 11

Treehouse:
Bloodstained Ritual of the Night gameplay

alot of other stuff i haven't mentioned.

Back