Who would win in an interstate game between VIC and WA?

WA or VIC?

• WA

Votes: 30 41.7%
  • VIC

Votes: 42 58.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This why the AA should be scrapped and State teams picked in an end of year ceremony. At least we can say they might play a real game. (ding ding ding.... fight). The bitching alone about the State selectors would be enough to fund BF!

In AFL, usually the premiers are the team not whose top 8 players are better than other teams' best 8, but whose bottom 8 players are better than other teams' bottom 8. And by this metric Vic would smash WA - the gropers just don't have the depth when you really get down to those last few spots, including the bench for midfield rotations.

In AFL, usually the premiers are the team not whose top 8 players are better than other teams' best 8, but whose bottom 8 players are better than other teams' bottom 8. And by this metric Vic would smash WA - the gropers just don't have the depth when you really get down to those last few spots, including the bench for midfield rotations.
That's been WA's problem against the Vics for the past 100 years.

I reckon maybe two years ago WA would have the Victorians. As always you can only fit so many midfielders in and at that point Franklin and Kennedy would have been the dominant two key forwards.

If anything WA would have the stronger Midfield now. Fyfe, Yeo, Kelly, Cogs, Mitchell, Cripps, Hill on the outside, Walters running through the middle. All being fed by Nic Nat. Would be fantastic to see.

As always Victoria would be very strong, with the much deeper roster, but I think if you were picking a balanced team to win a game a football, WA's best would stack up well against Victoria now and for the last few years.

I reckon maybe two years ago WA would have the Victorians. As always you can only fit so many midfielders in and at that point Franklin and Kennedy would have been the dominant two key forwards.

If anything WA would have the stronger Midfield now. Fyfe, Yeo, Kelly, Cogs, Mitchell, Cripps, Hill on the outside, Walters running through the middle. All being fed by Nic Nat. Would be fantastic to see.

As always Victoria would be very strong, with the much deeper roster, but I think if you were picking a balanced team to win a game a football, WA's best would stack up well against Victoria now and for the last few years.
I haven't seen the latest suggested teams but it's usually the same issue on paper. WA have no problems with the top end elite talent and are more than competitive there, but it's the bottom 6 players that generally have a few guys who wouldn't get near Victoria's best 22. Alternatively, you could put together a 2nd VIC team that would have a few players that walk into WA's 22. This is the difference, it's not the top end, it's the last few picked.

Salivating over that match up. My god I wish we still had SoO. I still rewatch some of the old games on youtube.

But your point is really only valid over a sustained period... Ie- a whole season.
In one off games the 'bottom 8' argument isn't nearly as valid, as every year there are upset victories and no team has gone through an entire season unbeaten in the professional era.

But your point is really only valid over a sustained period... Ie- a whole season.
In one off games the 'bottom 8' argument isn't nearly as valid, as every year there are upset victories and no team has gone through an entire season unbeaten in the professional era.
It's not like an upset would never happen, but even predicting a once off match, you have to predict the team that bats deeper has more quality across the 22. WA has players in the bottom few that don't get near to VICs team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gawn > Nic Nat
Martin > Fyfe
Dangerfield > Cripps
Bontempelli > Kelly
Pendlebury > Coniglio
Macrae > Mitchell
J. Kelly > Hill
De Goey > Walters

Try again sweetie.

Back