Who's the best Indigenous player ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m in my mid 20s so obviously can’t comment too much on someone like Polly Farmer, however I think Buddy has put together a case that is pretty hard to argue with.

As a key forward his output and longevity put him streets ahead of everyone in his era, when you consider that he has a legitimate case as the best key forward of all time. From purely subjective areas I’ve never seen a player with his combination of size, strength, speed, agility and skill.

If I had to rank it I’d go:

Franklin
Goodes
McLeod (was my idol as a kid so potentially biased)

I’m in my mid 20s so obviously can’t comment too much on someone like Polly Farmer, however I think Buddy has put together a case that is pretty hard to argue with.

As a key forward his output and longevity put him streets ahead of everyone in his era, when you consider that he has a legitimate case as the best key forward of all time. From purely subjective areas I’ve never seen a player with his combination of size, strength, speed, agility and skill.

If I had to rank it I’d go:

Franklin
Goodes
McLeod (was my idol as a kid so potentially biased)
He isn't the best key forward of all time. A champion, yes.

He isn't the best key forward of all time. A champion, yes.
It’s always impossible to argue across eras but it think he has a case.

His stats of course will never be as impressive as someone like Lockett or Dunstall (has won as many Coleman medals and has more AA jackets though) as the game has made it harder for key forwards. However he is so far ahead of any other key forward in his era, purely looking at goals per game the only guy that gets near him is Fev and he played over 100 games less.

Not saying he is the best, I haven’t seen enough of those older guys to know but he definitely has a case.

Maybe I’m underrating Polly but I’d have Buddy, McLeod and Goodes ahead of him.

Different era’s, so unless you’ve watched all these 4 players live, it’s very subjective.

If the experts put Polly up there at the top, there’s nothing I’ve seen that would make me change their conclusion.

Last edited:
Different era’s, so unless you’ve watched all these 4 players live, it’s very subjective.

If the experts put Polly up there at the top, there’s nothing I’ve seen that would make me change their conclusion.
Spot on. I never saw John Coleman or Gordon Coventry or Dick Reynolds. I know they were greats. There are posters on BF who never saw Gary Ablett Snr, IMO the most exciting footballer ever and a genuine great

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of all the names mentioned, as great as they are, Buddy is the only one in my opinion that would genuinely be in the conversation for the top 5 players of all time so that makes him the indigenous goat.
You’ve got a high mighty opinion of yourself!

If he's indeed indigenous - Wayne Carey.
Otherwise Goodes. He could play effectively in any position on the ground.
But my favourite was Peter Matera. Freak.

Buddy is the best player I’ve seen in my 27 years of watching regularly.

Granted Lockett and Dunstall were in the back end of their careers.

But Buddy’s career is sensational

Of all the names mentioned, as great as they are, Buddy is the only one in my opinion that would genuinely be in the conversation for the top 5 players of all time so that makes him the indigenous goat.

Cough, cough, cough ......

Check out the team on the century.

Leon Davis

Franklin is not even the greatest player in his position, Farmer is. I am not watering down Buddy's career, he is a great of our game but Farmer was better.

Didn't see S Michael or Polly Farmer in their prime so imo its a toss up between Buddy and Goodes.

Kicking 1000 goals in the modern game Buddy is ~30% better than the next best forwards in the same time period (JK WCE/JR Rich) that's huge out performance.

Goodes probably sold short a bit in that he was so versatile his position and role changed multiple times through his career, mobile ruck, mid/fwd, key forward and he excelled at pretty much all of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back