Why did the game devolve into the current dog's breakfast?

Remove this Banner Ad

well richmond kinda thrives on the current style when the ball is in no one's territory, chaos everywhere bodies everywhere, everything and everywhere is pandemonium, bang a piece of brilliance gets then 5+ goals.

A lot of sides are thriving on it because the rules are not implemented. Manic pressure is not that hard when you won’t be penalised for breaking the rules.
It is simply countless how many free kicks are not awarded for breaking the rules.

A lot of sides are thriving on it because the rules are not implemented. Manic pressure is not that hard when you won’t be penalised for breaking the rules.
It is simply countless how many free kicks are not awarded for breaking the rules.

breaking the rules? what rules are being broken? during a 360 degree scrum type chaos, lots of holding the ball, fending off, holding the man are very difficult to officiate. If maniac pressure is the norm now then the top sides will develop ability to break out of such pressure with some deft disposal skill to a someone 1 out at the back of the back and this brings in the big man back into the equation again. So the merry go round is coming back full circle to having 1 quality big forward who can win their fair share of 1 vs 1 duels (although this has always been important but today that is the decisive edge as the scrum type pressure is applied a lot of the time). So the evolution of the forward will move towards almost dare i say basketball type forward in that you need blokes around 2 meters tall but very nimble but not necessarily with overly physical powerful (ala hawkins, jbrown). so this might open up new field to draft in players with basketball background. The premium key forward today are the lynch (199cm), brown (200cm), daniher (200cm) to name a few. Seems to be getting taller, almost ruckmen height if we use the early 2000s scale. whole knows, ruckmen of the future will probably all be drafted from basketball background. Think of someone like shaq o'neal or yao ming, these guys are like 6 foot 8 but their agility is way superior to most of our ruckmen.

well richmond kinda thrives on the current style when the ball is in no one's territory, chaos everywhere bodies everywhere, everything and everywhere is pandemonium, bang a piece of brilliance gets then 5+ goals.

Well that would mean pressure teams like richmond, melbourne, sydney and collingwood would need to adapt. Tough s**t, adapt or fail - seems teams have been adapting to the evolving game since day dot.

But even if you take the top 10 players of each of those 4 teams that’s nearly 3 players to each remaining club. That would make no difference to standard of play?
The standard is driven by tactics. Better players are better able to implement a congested style of play, as well as break it, so no.

Also, you seem to be assuming that the bottom tier players are less skilled than the top tier players, and this is far from always the case. I have seen plenty of highly skilled players by hand and foot in lower leagues. Ability to read the play, ability in one on one contests, athleticism, dedication, mental toughness etc. There are a whole host of reasons a player may not be up to League footy, aside skills, so I have no belief that if you drop the bottom 10 players of a list, you are dropping the 10 least skilled. In fact there are any number of top ranked players with questionable disposal skills.

Who do you drop first, a gut running give it his all player who you trust in a one on one, who gets 25 to 30 touches a game, with moderate foot skills, or the exquisitely skilled pea heart who gets 10 possessions a game, and is constantly outworked?

Let me ask another question, how much do you think disposal efficiency will rise in a 14 team league? Me, not much, that is if a slightly higher pace, and more defensive pressure do not make it actually go down a bit.

Peak teams in sports like Soccer and NFL have dozens of highly skilled players after every spot on the roster. They are able to only chose players that are the complete package. Skilled, and vision, competitive and athletic, game awareness and mental toughness. Footy is not in that position, and cutting 4 teams does not put it in that position either. Your vision of teams with so much talent, it changes the game tactically would require A graders in every position. I think you need to cut 17 teams for that.

The standard is driven by tactics. Better players are better able to implement a congested style of play, as well as break it, so no.

Peak teams in sports like Soccer and NFL have dozens of highly skilled players after every spot on the roster. They are able to only chose players that are the complete package. Skilled, and vision, competitive and athletic, game awareness and mental toughness. Footy is not in that position, and cutting 4 teams does not put it in that position either. Your vision of teams with so much talent, it changes the game tactically would require A graders in every position. I think you need to cut 17 teams for that.

Standard is driven by tactics? So if Clarko implements same tactics for Box Hill....no standard is driven by level of skill.

You’re also completely wrong re NFL, they don’t even have enough quality QBs to start on every team. There’s a reason they don’t have 36teams or 40 teams ...they’re worried by thinning talent pool.

By your logic then we could increase the league to 22 teams and extra 160 players with no impact to the standard of play.

This is patently false.

AFL house didn't issue directives for Flooding (Eade), chip kicking (Wallace), falling on the ball (Roos/Lyon), the rolling maul (Longmire & Beveridge), the press (take your pick), Keepings off (Clarkson), seagull football (Hardwick/Caracella, and half a dozen others that have copied it this year) etc.

The coaches did that.

The rules changes are an attempt to address this rubbish.
Nailed it , absolutely brilliant .

Look, we're not stupid. Well, we are - but we're not stupid enough to not realise when we're being set up.

It's pretty obvious. The AFL are 'conditioning' us for some big changes to the game.

This is how it starts. Mouthpieces like Gerard 'the Weasel' Whateley begin by convincing us that the game is in trouble. Now let me just say - the game is in trouble. It's boring, dull and lame compared to other sports. But I digress....

It stats with the narrative that the game is s**t. Which then turns to a narrative that 'everyone wants change'. Which of course then turns to - the change itself.

I've listened to Weasel Whateley fanning the flames about the state of the game, to which I am very much in agreeance. However it did seem more of a sermon by him, than an opinion. It felt like a setup.

Then the news comes out that he's in fact involved in the 'state of the game committee' or whatever they're called. Hmmmm, convenient.

Then he went on a mini rant/campaign speech about how he's been privvy to the AFL's plans and their research and basically, it's just so detailed and so good and so thorough that you'd have to be a simpleton if you didn't agree with it.

Significant change - not tweaks, apparently. And yep, you guessed it - the Weasel loves it. And we all will too.

So now that it's obvious that Whately is the mouthpiece and SEN dedicated their entire morning show just about to how the game is struggling - we all know that we're being conditioned for change.

We're not stupid.

So it's time for us to hear it AFL. No more conditioning and campaigning. No more Cambridge Analytica style market brainwashing.

Just come out with it. What are the plans? What are these huge changes that are coming? Why are they coming specifically - and what will they achieve?

Didn't used to get 360 and the likes via my watch AFL package over seas, now we do, the more I see Weasel Whateley (whom i'd only ever seen occasionally on an ABC Sunday sport show called round up on Australia plus), the more I cant stand they guy.
How the muk has he become the go-to guy for all things AFL?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every Friday night is a Carlton game. Even when the AFL season is finished.

Late December? Doesnt matter. Carlton game on a Friday.

You can never escape it.
Watching Carlton is woeful, problem for the AFL is that most games every round are nearly as bad a spectacle, albeit with a closer score. Just because a final score is close, say 58 points to 50 points doesn't make it a great game! Watching AFL is now a chore, it's ugly.

Look, we're not stupid. Well, we are - but we're not stupid enough to not realise when we're being set up.

It's pretty obvious. The AFL are 'conditioning' us for some big changes to the game.

This is how it starts. Mouthpieces like Gerard 'the Weasel' Whateley begin by convincing us that the game is in trouble. Now let me just say - the game is in trouble. It's boring, dull and lame compared to other sports. But I digress....

It stats with the narrative that the game is s**t. Which then turns to a narrative that 'everyone wants change'. Which of course then turns to - the change itself.

I've listened to Weasel Whateley fanning the flames about the state of the game, to which I am very much in agreeance. However it did seem more of a sermon by him, than an opinion. It felt like a setup.

Then the news comes out that he's in fact involved in the 'state of the game committee' or whatever they're called. Hmmmm, convenient.

Then he went on a mini rant/campaign speech about how he's been privvy to the AFL's plans and their research and basically, it's just so detailed and so good and so thorough that you'd have to be a simpleton if you didn't agree with it.

Significant change - not tweaks, apparently. And yep, you guessed it - the Weasel loves it. And we all will too.

So now that it's obvious that Whately is the mouthpiece and SEN dedicated their entire morning show just about to how the game is struggling - we all know that we're being conditioned for change.

We're not stupid.

So it's time for us to hear it AFL. No more conditioning and campaigning. No more Cambridge Analytica style market brainwashing.

Just come out with it. What are the plans? What are these huge changes that are coming? Why are they coming specifically - and what will they achieve?
I am waiting my response from Sen as to, now that they have gone upmarket with an ex ABC commentator, when will they complete the upmarketing by ceasing gambling ads. I also noticed the sweeping comfort statements from Gerard that the AFL is on the right track with contemplated game changes, and that we should not worry.

Therefore, we have cause for worry.

Though I agree that Wheatley is an annoying weasel I'm struggling to locate a rational kernel in the OPs anger

Surely if you think that the state of the game(TM) is so bad you would endorse radical change?

Angry at the state of the game. Angry at perceived plans to fix it. Sheesh, why so much anger?

The AFL is being dissolved, and we're going back to state leagues only.

Anything to avoid the regular less than 1/2 full MCG on national TV has to be good.

More Freo supporters than Blues at Ethihad, 26k and 46K (for a blockbuster??) at MCG.

Is everyone in the self proclaimed world capital of sport away skiing and is it time for a Royal Commission to investigate how come the AFL isn't ripping more out of WA/SA to prop up failing Melbourne clubs?

Though I agree that Wheatley is an annoying weasel I'm struggling to locate a rational kernel in the OPs anger

Surely if you think that the state of the game(TM) is so bad you would endorse radical change?

Angry at the state of the game. Angry at perceived plans to fix it. Sheesh, why so much anger?

Who's angry?

I'd simply rather know what changes the AFL is going to make, and why.

We don't need full blown manipulation. Everything is a PR exercise these days.

Who's angry?

I'd simply rather know what changes the AFL is going to make, and why.

We don't need full blown manipulation. Everything is a PR exercise these days.

Yeah, that's right, everything is a PR exercise nowadays. How change is communicated is literally its own profession now.

Not sure why you are getting angry about it.

Anything to avoid the regular less than 1/2 full MCG on national TV has to be good.

More Freo supporters than Blues at Ethihad, 26k and 46K (for a blockbuster??) at MCG.

Is everyone in the self proclaimed world capital of sport away skiing and is it time for a Royal Commission to investigate how come the AFL isn't ripping more out of WA/SA to prop up failing Melbourne clubs?

I realise it's Carltons turn for a good kicking but why did you make up this crap ????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back