Why I think Eagles can win the premiership next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing slow about Yeo, Shuey, Redden, Nelson, Coke, Petruccelle, Rotham, Rioli, Ryan, Cripps, Jones, Sheppard, etc

When we are coached to both corral and not hit the contest at pace, we look slow.

It feels more about doing it for longer - ie endurance

Added to these points is the need for quick ball movement.

This can ‘compensate’ for our leg speed, especially when we have the ball.

Too many of our players rights across the ground elevate their kicks - harder and flatter to keep ball moving and game open. Also means our forwards get it in space.

Slow ball movement and we get shown up.

Last edited:
Liam ryan full preseason - to the wing
Rioli in the forward line
Yeo back to his best
Nn being nn - but with angry yeo getting clearances
gaff back to being pure outside
Oallen takes the next step
Petch to take the next step
Sheed had surgery on his shoulder - hopefully back to his best
shep to bounce back
Darling to bounce back to best form
Duggan to have a blinder of a year.
Shuey to move to a flak for durability
simmo and new assistants to tweak the gameplan on the offseason.

All in all its pretty hard to see a reason why we wont thrash it in next year.

bookmark this sh*t you chicken littles - the last time i was this bullish was end of season 2017 when we ditched maggi noodles head and sam mitchell and immediately made our midfield competitive.
Love the arrogance

Liam Ryan occasionally playing HFF is ok but the bloke is an AA FF and someone that should be playing close to home. Think he was a tad complement this year and pull his finger out

Liam Ryan occasionally playing HFF is ok but the bloke is an AA FF and someone that should be playing close to home. Think he was a tad complement this year and pull his finger out

I dunno, thought he played up the ground more in 2020, did a lot of running, link play, lot of direct assists into the forward line and looked good in traffic.

Personally I'd rather see him fit as * playing midfield minutes and then rolling forward after stoppage. He has good chemistry with Rioli having both of them run around in the forward half improves our entry and ball movement hugely.

Don't disagree that he would be a good undersized FF a la Elliot at Collingwood just don't think we need him to be with our forward line.

Yeo back to his best
shep to bounce back

bookmark this sh*t you chicken littles - the last time i was this bullish was end of season 2017 when we ditched maggi noodles head and sam mitchell and immediately made our midfield competitive.
I missed the part where everyone had to start playing a physical game physically, lay tackles, get the hard ground ball gets

An example of unity at Melbourne.
Petracca hid his Norm Smith medal at the party so as not to break the spirit of the team

This is what we need and even more selflessness.

I think Simpson realises this
Thats odd so you're saying his team were jealous of his norm smith? Doesnt sound unified to me
I think you're reading simmos comments wrong. Every team needs to be unified.to even be competitive. He clearly thinks that we arent so lets face it he's probably not doing his job right.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Yeo back to his best
shep to bounce back

Haha, very bullish, gotta like that positivity!
I can almost hear the creaking of overloaded cellar trolleys as they wheel out the boxes of vintage Chardonnay in preparation for 2022!!?

Haha, very bullish, gotta like that positivity!
I can almost hear the creaking of overloaded cellar trolleys as they wheel out the boxes of vintage Chardonnay in preparation for 2022!!?
As i said i was all bull and no bear in eoy 2017 - against the flow.

The eagle will rise in 2022

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other thing we should do is approach Darren Burgess (Melbournes current fitness boss) with an open cheque book and ask him to name his price

Have met him personally and I really rate him, every team he has been associated with has consistently been arguably the best conditioned team in the comp under his watch

If we value running power so damn much, we should at least have the best fitness boss that money can buy

Unfortunately Darren Burgess have just joined the crowns for next year. most ppl have forgot this but back in 2017 couldn’t win a 4 Quarters footy and we could not run out games! So why has this happend again ? this way if we dish up theses disgraceful performances at the end of next year Simpson will shown the 🚪 door!

Because of a new midfield coach.
Because Brander & Waterman will not play and we will revert to 2018 with the 4 small/mid fwds.
Ie Cripps, Ryan, Rioli & Petch. Throw in SPS when resting at HFF.

Waterman to Claremont FF
Brander to East Perth FF (Bulk Up Year)
Those 2 can earn their place in the 2023 Team.
3 Talls is enough.

We have to prioritise getting our hands on the ball first. It hasn’t traditionally been a strength of ours nor has Simpson seemed to prioritise it.

In the GF thread, Dylan82 made mention of how we need to maximise our centre clearances and he’s spot on - momentum shifted in the GF courtesy of quick goals out of the centre.

There’s tinkering around other parts of the game but none of that will matter if we can’t improve our contested ball winning
Definitely a tweaking of the game plan but that will come naturally with the addition of two new coaches with new ideas.
We only have to have break out years fro 2or 3 of Winder, Trew, O’Neale, Foley , Edwards x2 and any new boys then you change the whole dynamic.
Be blessed with an injury friendly year and any thing could happen.
A lot of teams didn’t fully buy into the Covid years and suffered as a result.
Let’s drink to a return to normal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back