Opinion Why the AFL should say sorry to Fitzroy

Remove this Banner Ad

Well said mate :thumbsu:

Yeah, as we continue to grow stronger as a club again, there's certainly a chance of Fitzroy getting back into the VFL - or another professional football league - in the future.

Thanks, I think they deserve to be in some professional league and I'd imagine they could build a good supporter base with their past and all. :thumbsu: I dont reallly follow the VFL much (Subscribing to Box Hill and some VFL results pages on facebook is about as much as I know) but Fitzroy being in a professional league would certainly catch my interest. I'd imagine they'd be pretty popular in the ametuer league with too their history and all?

There's been quite a bit of discussion on this topic in earlier posts in this same thread, as well as other threads on the board, such as the one entitled "Coburg-Fitzroy Lions", amongst others. It's worth having a read of those topics - perhaps as well as some of the threads from 10+ years ago (if you're keen enough) about the failed Coburg-Fitzroy venture.

Personally I don't think there's much chance of Fitzroy fielding a team in the VFL. Even if there is a "chance", I doubt it would be a significant one and I'd prefer that Fitzroy focuses its attention on being a great VAFA club, rather than entering into a very speculative venture in the VFL.

Coming back tonight I saw a post on the previous page about it, go figure. Thanks for the input and suggestions though. :thumbsu:

Prehaps off topic a little but I don't want to start a new thread, does anyone know if you can still buy 90's based Fitzroy AFL guernseys? Not looking for anything signed or anything just a training top. Can't find much on Ebay but if they are available I would like to have a look into it. Mind you I can hardly find anything 90's based from any team on Ebay.

Prehaps off topic a little but I don't want to start a new thread, does anyone know if you can still buy 90's based Fitzroy AFL guernseys? Not looking for anything signed or anything just a training top. Can't find much on Ebay but if they are available I would like to have a look into it. Mind you I can hardly find anything 90's based from any team on Ebay.
http://www.fitzroyfc.com.au/merchandise.html

Ah... I didn't actually know about this! Pretty poor act from the AFL there as well.

But obviously, as we know, there were never any depths to which Oakley, Samuel and Collins wouldn't gladly stoop.

With all due respect south to sydney was before those three knobs, and carlton had there finger in there as well.

Yeah - just before Collins became Secretary/GM at Carlton, it seems. 5 years before Oakley.

Be interesting to hear more details about any connivance and crookery going on against South, and who the key perpetrators were, because I'd certainly think there would've been some element of that going on then also.

Yeah - just before Collins became Secretary/GM at Carlton, it seems. 5 years before Oakley.

Be interesting to hear more details about any connivance and crookery going on against South, and who the key perpetrators were, because I'd certainly think there would've been some element of that going on then also.

I did a writeup from public data available: http://footybusiness.wordpress.com/expansion/1981-the-south-saga/

Through August the Keep South at South group took the Board to court to prevent the move, eventually getting the signatures needed to force the general meeting held on September 22. Media reports at the time apparently suggest that several hundred people purchased memberships in an attempt to influence the meeting – what made this more interesting is that they were all based in Sydney. At this time a number of companies purchased a large number of memberships including a brewery, Visy packaging, a catering company and New System Fasteners (owned by Reg Myers, also president of the committee for the advancing of Australian Rules in Sydney). Keep South at South were faced with considerable opposition, they took legal action to prevent the more than 700 new applicants (bear in mind the total South membership was just over 1000 at the time) from joining, but this ultimately failed

Further to what I've said earlier about a "sorry" from the AFL merely being lip service that would make them feel that they'd put the entire issue to bed, the recent fixturing of Lions games by the AFL, with only 5 games in Victoria, is an example of why a "sorry" from the AFL would be absolutely pointless.

Not sure if this is where you want this but Ian Collins was asked about this in an interview on Sunday for the Footy Show. Its not an in depth response

I only just came across this.

I imagine the words of Collins here are hardly much comfort to you guys- more like a dagger to the heart really.

I wouldn't even call it an apology, so much as merely an acknowledgement that times have changed in terms of AFL outlook.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back