TAS Will a team go to Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Heard the Tas Premier pushed the AFL hard for a team.

Question is, whats the likelihood and if yes, who goes

Zero chance, the AFL will lose a large proportion of supporters of whatever club ‘moves’ (gets folded) and only gain a similar amount back from Tasmania (if that). All that at the cost of setting up a team over there.
Only reason a club will ever be lost is if the AFL can’t save them.

Would be interesting to know how many Tasmanian's already committed to supporting a team for years would be willing to ditch that team for a new Tassie one. I know i wouldn't and all my friends and family feel the same, yes footy is super popular down here but finding enough support may not be as easy as some people seem to think.

Will a team go to New South Wales ?
Will a team go to Queensland ?
Will a team go to South Australia ?
Will a team go to Western Australia ?

I remember a time not so long ago when these were all valid questions, now something
has to change for me as there are too many teams. This year has taught us just how
fickle the sporting market is, people say that will never happen. Never has there ever
been a more salient moment to reassess everything we know not just about sport.

The AFL will lose a large proportion of supporters of whatever club ‘moves’ (gets folded) and only gain a similar amount back from Tasmania (if that).
This might be the case.
However, it's likely the team that ends up there has a latent level of support, due to their currently lack of success, ie like Richmond until recently, The move itself and any success through the concessions from the AFL/Tas Gov will revive that interest and rapidly increase their support.

I can't see a team shifting, and they wouldn't be welcome even if they did.

Tasmanians want their own team, and I think the AFL should give them the chance to build one, same as they did for Western Sydney and the Gold Coast. If there are doubts that they will be sustainable or competitive, they can start off in the NAB League, then move to the VFL for a season or two before their debut.

Heard the Tas Premier pushed the AFL hard for a team.

Question is, whats the likelihood and if yes, who goes

No, but if one does, it will be St Kilda.

The Tamanians don't want North Melbourne. They want their own team. North should have gone to Gold Coast a decade ago. Biggest mis step the league ever made.

That you're still sooking about this over ten years later brings me great joy in an otherwise gloomy period.

Zero chance, the AFL will lose a large proportion of supporters of whatever club ‘moves’ (gets folded) and only gain a similar amount back from Tasmania (if that). All that at the cost of setting up a team over there.
Only reason a club will ever be lost is if the AFL can’t save them.

Of if the other clubs say, nah, no more propping them up.

Think what happened with Sydney in 92, how close run a thing that was to the clubs going stuff it, bin them, never gunna pay off.

I can very much see a scenario where a club that already gets a major extra distro funding and is already carrying massive debt - that just had to increase that debt massively again this year - comes to the AFL at the end of the year and says "We need even more money" and the AFL goes yeah nah hand us the keys.

That's how a team gets down to Tassie in the current climate.

I can't see a team shifting, and they wouldn't be welcome even if they did.

Tasmanians want their own team, and I think the AFL should give them the chance to build one, same as they did for Western Sydney and the Gold Coast. If there are doubts that they will be sustainable or competitive, they can start off in the NAB League, then move to the VFL for a season or two before their debut.

AFL won't be able to afford to expand for a decade minimum in terms of a club built from scratch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’d be great to see St Kilda move to Tassie and be successful while North stay and continue with the mediocrity that defines that club this century.

herculez09

The bizarre Richmond insecurity about North rears its ugly head in yet another thread.

Last edited:
Not for another 15 years now

Exactly, AFL can't afford to expand and can't afford to rationalise either.

It can't afford the bad PR of trying to force a club down there.

So its only hope (if it really wants a team down there of which I'm hmmmmmmm) is to hope/allow a club that's not a golden child to become insolvent and send them down there in a "it is this or death" deal.

Not going to happen. Any Tassie team will be financially unviable and without the growth factors that GWS/Gold Coast have. At best it'll be another St Kilda/North Melbourne, so any future Tassie team (which I do support) should be a 19th team.

Not going to happen. Any Tassie team will be financially unviable and without the growth factors that GWS/Gold Coast have. At best it'll be another St Kilda/North Melbourne, so any future Tassie team (which I do support) should be a 19th team.

Don’t really see how they’d be financially unviable when the Tasmanian government is already propping up North Melbourne and Hawthorn. You throw that money in plus an extra 20% they’d do fine.

The "growth" factor of the Gold Coast is the single greatest furphy in footy after "Essendon would have beaten North in the 99 Grand Final".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back