It is a risk to draft a Tassie player in the first round?

Would you use a first round pick on a Tassie player this year?

• Yes - pick the best player and worry about keeping him or the consequences of losing him later

Votes: 35 77.8%
  • No - take the next best, not worth the risk of wasting time developing a player and losing him

Votes: 11 24.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The difference is the AFL will want the player to go to Tassie, and will make it happen by altering rules and putting up an off that the team that drafts him can not compete with.
Yeah but Tassie will be given heaps of high draft picks.
So even if you lose a player to Tassie you will be well compensated.
So the risk is low anyway
So just pick best available.
A gun player is a gun player

Maybe. Remind me what WB got for their young star Cal Ward?

Will they?

For GWS, they allowed them to sign up the best kids from across NSW/NT who would turn 18 ahead of the 1st season. They also got 8 1st round picks from AFL to use that year.
They then used their list spots on 16 uncontracted AFL players (any club) and a few unselected rookie picks from previous drafts.
AFL gave them extra salary cap the first few years.

Nothing in there about "encouraging all players with a Western Sydney heritage" to return to the motherland. 😂
I will say this...

As Far as GWS goes... The only player GWS didnt get as a player who they should of got was Lenny Hayes at the saints. Sure He would of been already 32 years old at the start of the 2012 season. Lenny hayes would of been a good 1st captain at GWS. Basically would of been the ross glendenning equivalent. Lenny Hayes is from Pennant Hills, North western suburb of NSW.

As far as the GWS concessions... you were right... sort of.

-up to 17 players born between January 1st to April 31st of 1993 too young to join the 2010 draft but play junior footy in NSW or the home state they were in. Nathan Wilson from Peel thunder was one of those 12 blokes.

-up to 10 players that were not on an AFL list, but previously nominated in a draft and can be traded.

-up to 16 players who were on an AFL list but were out of contract at the end of the season.

- Up to sixteen players recruited from the New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory zone, recruited at any time between 2010 and 2013, and from the Northern Territory zone, recruited between 2011 and 2013.

Then, in the drafts, Greater Western Sydney had the following selections:

- In the 2011 national draft, the first selection in each round, and picks No. 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15 in the first round.

- In the 2011 rookie draft, the first eight selections.

- In the 2012 rookie draft, the first selection in each round.

- Greater Western Sydney began with an expanded list size of up to fifty senior players and nine rookies, to be gradually reduced to a standard list size of thirty-eight senior players and nine rookies by 2019.

Have any of your been to Tasmania? It's highly likely that any kid drafted out of Tassie who goes to an actual city, be it Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, or Perth, will not want to go back to Tasmania.

Adeliade might see them jump ship.

Depends on certain situations....

Will tassie get heaps of high picks? Probably. But if you give them similar concessions like GWS and Gold coast, very unlikely they will trade any of them.

You hand tassie picks 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15.... Unlikely any top 10 pick will be traded, unless teams pay way overs for them, especially the top 5 picks. 11, 13 and 15 I see tassie trade for experienced guys.

Another situation is if Tassie use their early picks to recruit young locals or young contry vic kids.

Will tassie get heaps of high picks? Probably. But if you give them similar concessions like GWS and Gold coast, very unlikely they will trade any of them.

You hand tassie picks 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15.... Unlikely any top 10 pick will be traded, unless teams pay way overs for them, especially the top 5 picks. 11, 13 and 15 I see tassie trade for experienced guys.

Another situation is if Tassie use their early picks to recruit young locals or young contry vic kids.
To be fair, GWS did try to trade very high picks consistently and were usually knocked back. I know for example that both bruest and gunston were heavily courted over multiple years for two high firsts each.

Players just didn't want to go.

GC did attempt the same thing (although not so much with my club so I am less aware of it). Most famously, they traded pick 2 for a fairly average player. They would have done it more if more players were willing to go.

Just draft best available.
Who cares where they are from.

It s the AFL not the mummas boy FL.

Players just got another huge pay rise.

The mummas boy home state crap should just be a thing of the past and ridiculed.

Been watching the Beckham documentary.
"We're moving to Spain"
"When?"
"Umm in 12 hours"

The mummas boy home state crap should just be a thing of the past and ridiculed.

"We're moving to Spain"
"When?"
"Umm in 12 hours"
It is a lot easier to move to Spain when you are being paid 100k+ a week. Bit different when it is 100k for the whole year.

But in general I agree, pick best available, unless you have a VERY good reason.

It is a lot easier to move to Spain when you are being paid 100k+ a week. Bit different when it is 100k for the whole year.

But in general I agree, pick best available, unless you have a VERY good reason.
Average AFL wage now 500k. Nobody is on 100k. That's BS

I'm sick of this BS excuse. It's not about money anyway.

Moving country is much harder than moving state and people do it all the time

It's just all about the mummas boy mentality and culture

Nothing to do with money.

Average AFL wage now 500k. Nobody is on 100k. That's BS

I'm sick of this BS excuse. It's not about money anyway.

Moving country is much harder than moving state and people do it all the time

It's just all about the mummas boy mentality and culture

Nothing to do with money.
1st year player drafted in the rookie draft in 2021 was on 85k. Even the first rounders were still only on 105k. The huge financial sacrifice AFL clubs make to draft a player

1st year player drafted in the rookie draft in 2021 was on 85k. Even the first rounders were still only on 105k. The huge financial sacrifice AFL clubs make to draft a player
I'm talking about the new deal that has just been finalised. Not the old one.

So youre saying they won't move state cos they can't afford it?

Like can't pay their bills?

Or the cost of moving?

Still sounds like BS to me.

There is no real cost difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jackson Macrae (pick 6)

In a turn of fate he kicked the game winning goal against GWS that got us into a grand final.

Wouldn't change a thing.
Macrae is a gun, but pick 6 for an elite young player isn't overwhelming compo in my opinion. I don't think you would have traded a young ward for pick 6 if you had had a choice in the matter (not withstanding how well it turned out in retrospect).

Macrae is a gun, but pick 6 for an elite young player isn't overwhelming compo in my opinion. I don't think you would have traded a young ward for pick 6 if you had had a choice in the matter (not withstanding how well it turned out in retrospect).

Yeah losing pur 2 best youngsters (Harbrow&Ward) hurt at the time. Both have gone on to probably have medals named after them at their new clubs.

Yeah losing pur 2 best youngsters (Harbrow&Ward) hurt at the time. Both have gone on to probably have medals named after them at their new clubs.
That was my point. Maybe you draft mckercher. Maybe he becomes an absolute gun. And then maybe you get pick 6 (or worse!) in compo just like you did.

Yes you did well drafting a gun with your compo pick, but that wasn't my point.

"We're moving to Spain"
"When?"
"Umm in 12 hours"
And sure... thats gonna work. Just look at the dockers recruiting victorian talent

The difference is the AFL will want the player to go to Tassie, and will make it happen by altering rules and putting up an off that the team that drafts him can not compete with.
And the difference is that the AFL will over compensate teams for releasing players to Tassie, particularly locals. If McKercher ends up half the player his draft profile reads he will end up the franchise player of the new Tassie player and the club that takes him can expect to be handsomely rewarded.

Who is the next Karmichael Hunt? Perhaps Ben Simmons will be sick of life in Brooklyn and want to come back to Aus…
I don't think you need a hunt or folau because tassie is a footy state. You need a GAJ though.

Walsh would be perfect I think.

Back