bballscout

Cancelled
Apr 22, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
What happens when the Suns start playing finals football? What is the AFL's policy regarding big games at limited capacity stadiums?

Eg Geelong cant play finals at their stadium and have to move them to MCG. Would the Suns have to play finals at the Gabba?

I hope not but wondering if anyone knows? AFL would not want a preliminary final for example held at the 25k cpacity Metricon.

This could be a big hurdle for the Suns in chasing success :(

I'm not 100% sure about this but I'm pretty sure any finals at this stage would be held at the GABBA. Although with the Commonwealth Games coming up there will be some sort of upgrade to the stadium which could boost capacity to a level acceptable to the AFL. I mean the GABBA only holds 42000.

According the Wikipedia the capacity will be boosted to over 40000 when the stadium is developed again, which would be enough to hold finals you would think and even if its a few thousand less I'm sure the suns could lobby the afl similar to what they did for the home Q-clash

Finals would be at the Gabba until Metricon holds 40,000. As the Comm games seat expansion is only temp and not perm this looks like it is quite some time off.

I have lobbied the state govenrnment and the club to make the expansion a perm thing but neither seems interested. That was several months ago, it may be different now that an election is on, I seem to remember Captain Bligh coughing up money to build the stadium in the first place during the last election to scape together some votes pon the GC.

Can I suggest that if any of you are interested in trying to get one side or the other to make the changes perm and ensure finals are played at Metricon you contact the following http://www.thepremier.qld.gov.au/ or http://lnp.org.au/campbell-newman and state your case. I had no luck with Labor so I will be trying Newman now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back