Restricted Free Agent Will Hayward [RFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely Essendon have shown them 20 years of what that's going to be like. They need a big body in there. It'll be fine if they can land both without putting pressure on their salary cap, but I suspect that won't be the case.
Not sure about that really

Richmond from 2017-2020 midfield consisted of

Martin (187) Cotchin (185) Prestia (175) Bolton (176) Lambert (178) Graham (181) Rioli (180) Short (175) Baker (172)

Interesting if he chooses blues as I think we may match then. If crows on crazy money I think we will let him go. Strange RFA situation.

Monster offer if true. Not sure we could match the $$.

I am surprised the Crows are looking to continue to invest so much in their forward line but a quality SA free agent is hard to turn away. He makes any team better.

I don't think it's a case of continuing investing in the forward line as much as it is about hoarding as much talent as you can fit. The rest sorts itself out seeing football is kind of weird in how generalised it's become. There really aren't a lot of non KP players anymore whose best position isn't midfield.

I like the offer, if legit, but can't help but think this may have come at the right time for the Swans. Does have a bit of a whiff of Hayward having a career year at the moment. Still, I don't think Adelaide regrets it, even if Hayward regresses back into a 1.3-1.4 goal player just because we do need to get older and the whole hoarding talent thing.

Last edited:

800-850k for Hayward is ridiculous he is a good role player that benefits a lot from what happens up the ground.

If the reports are true, no way he turns it down Swans won't be able come close to that they will replace him pretty easily.

I wouldn't be so sure.
Had a 1 million per year offer for Gulden on the table.
Allegedly 900k for Petty which thankfully fell over.
Reports of us chasing Hayward and Perryman.

Wouldn't be shocked to see us end up with Hayward/Perryman and LDU/McCluggage combo.
They would be perfect for Adelaide.
Not sure about that really

Richmond from 2017-2020 midfield consisted of

Martin (187) Cotchin (185) Prestia (175) Bolton (176) Lambert (178) Graham (181) Rioli (180) Short (175) Baker (172)
Yeah but Richmond during that period were one of the fittest sides in history that ran all day. That made them an exception. It's not usual for a premier to be able to concede clearances the way Richmond did with no issue. Also, they're missing Dusty, which is that star mid I was speaking about.

They would be perfect for Adelaide.

Yeah but Richmond during that period were one of the fittest sides in history that ran all day. That made them an exception. It's not usual for a premier to be able to concede clearances the way Richmond did with no issue. Also, they're missing Dusty, which is that star mid I was speaking about.
I think we consider Dawson to be a big star mid with finesse.

Can’t see why the Swans wouldn’t give him a 6 year deal also, we’re doing longer deals with most of our players
Not only the years but supposedly only $550K which mean Sydney are valuing him around $450K before the significant CPA increase?

Not only the years but supposedly only $550K which mean Sydney are valuing him around $450K before the significant CPA increase?

We very rarely overpay unless need be, is he worth between the two figures probably but we have prioritised Logan, Errol (coming up), Florent and others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being terrible for 6 or so years will do that.
On that same logic North should be able to hold onto LDU though.
LDU gets a big offer and North will take the Band 1 (pick 2) that the AFL will donate to their begging bowl.

Two top mids for letting LDU go. Can never have enough mids

Carlton will not be prepared to match massive South Australian offers for Sydney free agent Will Hayward but will offer a chance to compliment its star-studded forward line and a return home for girlfriend Victoria.
Hayward was raised in Adelaide but as this masthead revealed in March, has put off contract talks given the significant offers for the white-hot Swans forward.
He has kicked 19.6 in nine games so far this year - including consecutive bags of four goals - and is also averaging a score assist and five score involvements a game.
Adelaide and Port Adelaide are desperate for his services, and the Crows have so much cap space they are prepared to throw as much as $850,000 a season at the former St Peter’s College graduate.
But while Carlton has a six-year offer on the table, it is understood they would not go anywhere near the scope of rival offers.

Their offer would be in the high 600s but won’t start with a seven, let alone $800,000.

Their players have pledged to take less in coming seasons to keep the list together so they can hardly splash $850,000 on a free agent and ask their players to sacrifice.

Playing alongside Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay would give him the perfect chance to get excellent match-ups on inferior opponents as well as a long-term deal.

Hayward’s partner Victoria is a model represented by Chic Model Management so it will be a decision the couple makes together.

While Port Adelaide is also coming hard for Hayward he joked last month his dad wouldn’t have any of that.

“Who knows (what will happen). My manager looks after all that so if he has any news for me he will give me a buzz. I have got mum in my ear. Dad not so much. Especially from Port. Dad was a big Crows fan growing up so I don’t think he would like that.”
From Ralph half heard it last night on Fox but article here on Carlton and Hayward https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...l/news-story/11f81c513b40ef74b20d0cfb92e8b1b4

800-850k for Hayward is ridiculous he is a good role player that benefits a lot from what happens up the ground.

If the reports are true, no way he turns it down Swans won't be able come close to that they will replace him pretty easily.

I agree that I think at 850k we have to let him walk, but don't agree he gets replaced easily (especially not with someone of same / similar output).

You’d think if his partner is a model she won’t want to be moving to Adelaide. Much more opportunities in Sydney or Melbourne
Sisters an international model too and their parents are absolutely loaded. Sydney or a Melbourne club imo.

You’d think if his partner is a model she won’t want to be moving to Adelaide. Much more opportunities in Sydney or Melbourne
I don't disagree re opportunities in Melbourne or Sydney but if she is that good of a model would you not think opportunities follow her rather than having to chase them up?

A simple trip to Melbourne/Sydney isn't that hard these days and well if the above poster is on the money who knows could have bigger aspirations than just Sydney or Melbourne, Will may need to learn to kick a round ball or learn to punt the ball a good distance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back