News Willie Rioli Provisionally Suspended

Remove this Banner Ad

He did.
But those who want to believe his crime is excusable because he is in his 20’s need to come to the 21st century.
Nothing to be afraid of here.

The people that have a softer view than yours don't necessarily have a backwards mentality not would they suggest that he escape punishment. As I see it they sympathise with Rioli's circumstances and the likely impact this mistake will have on his life.

The people that have a softer view than yours don't necessarily have a backwards mentality not would they suggest that he escape punishment. As I see it they sympathise with Rioli's circumstances and the likely impact this mistake will have on his life.
Circumstances?
Those circumstances that he has created?
You’ve got to be joking.
He panicked because he had the guilts. Because somehow he had broken a law. Be it a sports law or an actual law.
No matter, his guilt forced him to try and escape punishment.
Why anyone has sympathy for the circumstances of his own creation staggers me.

They would have sealed up the first "sample" for testing to confirm the substitution and then would made him supply an actual urine sample (which would then be split into A and B samples).

It seems strange at face value that he was allowed to play for two weeks after the incident, but it makes sense that legal protocol requires an official adverse finding from the lab before ASADA can report an athlete to the governing body.

Perhaps he somehow thought that supplying the valid sample in the end meant that he didn't have a problem or something and it would all be ok?

Either that or the kid has nerves of steel fronting for training, media commitments and two games including a final knowing that he was screwed.
"The doping control officer won’t go to an athlete who is substitution urine and go ‘no, no, no mate you can’t do that, you’ve got to give us the right stuff’. The attempt to substitute is a violation in itself so the doping control officer will simply collect the sample, report the incident and leave it for the authorities at ASADA to investigate."

Wait, you mean it wasn't meant to be already? Next thing you know we'll have to wear pants.

tenor.gif

West Coast game day thread is ridiculously funny. According to a lot of weagles posters, rioli is the reason they lost. Gives "poor losers" a new benchmark.

instructed to fill it to at least 90ml
This may have been the issue.
May have been dehydrated and the official said I need more than that.
Willie became impatient and topped it up.
Figured he’d provided a sample and they’d only find gatorade amongst his wee.
Simple explanation.

West Coast game day thread is ridiculously funny. According to a lot of weagles posters, rioli is the reason they lost. Gives "poor losers" a new benchmark.
No different to us blaming Stevo.

Simple explanation.

According to large fries, and I’m not sure where he’s getting his information from, but apparently there was no urine, he substituted it for a sports drink.

There have been a few but mostly for recreational drugs. Performance enhancing drugs are a different story. I stand to to corrected but other than Justin Charles I can't remember too many others.

Biological passports are effective but also limited when growth hormone peptides and other short half-life substances are taken into account.
Just a few from memory
Crowley
Cousins
Saad
Thomas
Keeffe
Murray
Rioli
Oh and 34 Essendon players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a few from memory
Crowley
Cousins
Saad
Thomas
Keeffe
Murray
Rioli
Oh and 34 Essendon players

Bock

Add to that pre wada when it was only afl testing post 1990. There was Charles, lynch and a couple of others who’s names escape me now. In addition there were 6 who were not published, there case studies were included in an afl commissioned report by melbourne uni (but not identified). All in all there was around 10-12 players in the 90’s found in breach of the afl doping code.

But it’s never deliberate, the players are “naive “ right , or could it be that it’s the public that are the naive ones?

Last edited:
Simple explanation.
If thats true, and even if he was 100% clean.....its gotta be the dumbest thing you can do since someone bet on their own players to kick goals. He would still be guilty of tampering with the process and be sitting on his coight for the next 4 years

Simple explanation.
This is why water/sports drinks are available to the player during testing.
There are stories from sports people that testing takes up to several hours while they try and produce the minimum. There is no surprise that the initial stream does not fill the requirements.
Rioli would have known this and would know that the testers will wait for however long it takes. There is no penalty for taking your time.

it might be illegal to take cocaine but AFL footballers are one of the few occcupations that are randomly tested for it, outside of safety reasons. Members of parliament aren't tested. Police and prison officers in some states are tested, which is understandable. Entertainers - and you could argue that AFL footballers are entertainers - arent tested for cocaine.

Oh the poor darlings tested for something they shouldn't be touching anyway.
Won't someone think of the children...

Oh the poor darlings tested for something they shouldn't be touching anyway.
Won't someone think of the children...

Asada weren’t looking for Charlie though, and I’m not convinced with this naive line that he got confused with the two regimes.

Players were quite capable of navigating the afl illicit drug policies, very quickly honing in on its weaknesses, exploiting the self reporting provisions. But as soon as asada come knocking their naive, don’t understand their obligations, they’re just dumb footballers.

My guess is he’s taken something for recovery, touch and go if it would show up, and didn’t want risk pissing hot and did the switch.

Asada weren’t looking for Charlie though, and I’m not convinced with this naive line that he got confused with the two regimes.

Players were quite capable of navigating the afl illicit drug policies, very quickly honing in on its weaknesses, exploiting the self reporting provisions. But as soon as asada come knocking their naive, don’t understand their obligations, they’re just dumb footballers.

My guess is he’s taken something for recovery, touch and go if it would show up, and didn’t want risk pi**ing hot and did the switch.

Taking a quick recovery tablet or popping a party pill are equally as likely the night after a game. At the end of the day it doesnt really matter. He was tampering with his sample and behaviour that supercedes the result of the test .

Hopefully, for Willie, he simply lost patience waiting to urinate and did something stupid on the spur of the moment.
No-one should be made to endure the crap ASDADA force athletes to go though.

Does anyone know the circumstance of the out of competition test he was subjected to?
Where was it? What was happening around him?

Hopefully, for Willie, he simply lost patience waiting to urinate and did something stupid on the spur of the moment.
No-one should be made to endure the crap ASDADA force athletes to go though.

Does anyone know the circumstance of the out of competition test he was subjected to?
Where was it? What was happening around him?
It was at the Club
He was one of several to undergo the process
He was taken to a Private Room where he was observed for the entire time
He gave a sample and then while placing his sample in the A and B containers he added the substance, he sealed the bottles as soon as he added the substance

Once sealed the bottles can only be opened by an authorsied lab using a special tool

Jon Ralph -“As he was transporting that canister to a bench where he splits it under provisions into an A and B sample. He tipped it out, there was gatorade sitting around, that’s common practice when you are trying to hydrate for a drugs test, tipped it out and replaced it with gatorade.”

“The [controlling] officer [was] absolutely aware of the situation at the time. It is not his job though to try and bring him up on it. All he does is report it."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back