Winston Abraham

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow was he good, this bloke just added the sublime skills to our rock hard team back in the day, similar to Brent Harvey in that when he got the ball i was certain something good was going to happen, and did it with ease...

That video is right up there with the best I've seen!!! The Schwatta one was awesome too, but this took the cake!!!

I can't remember a lot about Winnie, I was only a kid when he was still playing, but I do remember him being my favourite player for quite a while. I used to walk around proudly with the number 15 on my footy jumper!

I thought he was rubbish at Freo, then absolutely loved him. Unfortunately seemed to have a very short career with us.

He's exactly the type of player we could slot into our list at the moment and be a walk up best 22.

Top 5 all time for me, just oozed class and was a North man through and through.

Really hope we see more of his like in the near future at North, great memories.

No disrespect to any of the other guys that made it in, but how is it that Winnie didn't get a guernsey for the Indigenous Team of the Century that was announced in 2005? :cry:

A flag, goal of the year in 96, mark of the year in 98.

Harley Bennell would be the closest version of him playing right now.
Harley Bennell?

Harley's a gun, no doubt, but he is much more mechanical than Winnie. Winnie is as close to the best suited footballer to play that roaming half forward role.

Best pure footballer I have seen play with North Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harley Bennell?

Harley's a gun, no doubt, but he is much more mechanical than Winnie. Winnie is as close to the best suited footballer to play that roaming half forward role.

Even more than a pure footballer than the Duck?

How about the " little shimmy " 3q '99 grand final in the goal square ?
Just .... " l'll waltz round this Carlton knob and dob this " Like shooting fish in a barrel !
Slotted through nicely......

Harley Bennell?

I get what you're saying. Bennell isn't as smooth, but he's as close as you'll get as of now.

Maybe Jack Martin will get closer.

Barely remember Abraham. Definitely our of our finest though.

I still rate him as the most talented indigenous footballer i've seen play the game. Freak as a description would be an understatement.
Ditto to that. Unheralded as far as i'm concerned when it comes to skills (indigenous or otherwise), we are lucky at north to have had the most skilled and most dedicated indigenous footballers to have played the game (cable being the other). only player i've ever seen to be as good as winnie on his non preferred for both length and accuracy is Aker, (even as late as last season was sensational.)

I can't remember a lot about Winnie, I was only a kid when he was still playing, but I do remember him being my favourite player for quite a while. I used to walk around proudly with the number 15 on my footy jumper!
the best part about it is, that in 20 30 years or more, you can drag out a winnie highlight package and still be amazed at what he did, when he did that knee, i for one was gutted, it was like following a great thoroughbred, having it go to the paddock for a spell and never coming back

The man was a walking highlight package. Think of a skill that puts bums on seats and then gets people to stand and applaud and Winnie could do that skill. I can't think of too many games that he absolutely dominated, but he'd just do something hard, make it look easy, and do it exactly at the right time in a game. Fantastic player.

I'd draw short of saying he'd be a more "pure footballer" than the Duck - I've never seen such a player for anyone. But I can't think of a player with more "X-factor" than Winnie. He was never "out of the game." He'd be the guy who'd have 6 kicks, 2 handballs and 3 marks - but kick 5 goals (one being a sealer and 2 being Goal of the Year nominations), set up two others and take 2 screamers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back