AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Tottenham
From Associated Press ...

Controversial Saudi columnist wants daughter to drive and vote
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
JIDDAH, Saudi Arabia

Saudi newspaper columnist Hussein Shobokshi touched off a fury in this Arab kingdom when he wrote about a future in which his daughter could drive and he could vote. But he also caused delight at a time when Saudi Arabia has seen a modest push toward more social and religious openness.

Shobokshi said he wanted to "to ignite a dialogue and open these issues up for discussion" with his July 1 article in the Saudi newspaper Okaz.

The response to included death threats as well as a call from Crown Prince Abdullah, the country's reform-minded de-facto ruler. Abdullah "told me that he liked the article, but that I shouldn't make so many people angry," said Shobokshi.

Shobokshi is one of a growing number of writers emboldened by the recent openness in the Saudi press following nationwide shock at suicide attacks in the capital in May in which 34 people died, including several Americans, and then a shootout in the holy city of Mecca last month linked to the investigation into bombings.

US criticism of Saudi Arabia's lack of democracy and support for militant Islam since the Sept. 11 attacks on the United States has also forced the government to open up. Fifteen of the 19 hijackers were Saudis.

Shobokshi said his article was rejected when he first submitted it to his editor at Okaz two months ago. He tried again with a new editor in the new climate of soul-searching.

The 39-year-old Shobokshi wrote the column as a bedtime fable addressed to his seven-year-old daughter.

He described arriving on time on the country's notoriously late national carrier and being picked up by his daughter, though women can't drive. He chats with her about his meeting with the female social affairs minister and an encounter with a new Saudi citizen of Indian origin. Saudi law does not grant immigrants nationality.

He talks about his plans for the following day: a stop at the ballot box and a religious lesson at Mecca's Grand Mosque - though all moderate sects have been banned from teaching there. At the end of the drive from the airport, he asks his daughter to speed up so they can catch the finance minister as he presents the national budget to the session of the elected parliament live on television.

"Saudi Arabia has been talking the talk, people are now anxious to walk the walk," Shobokshi said. "Being able to talk about our problems makes us feel better, like spending 45-minutes on a psychiatrist's couch. But now we need to see changes."

The majority of the people who responded were delighted, he said.

"They said that I wrote what they've always wanted to say. That I've expressed their dreams of what Saudi Arabia could be like. That they want this dream to be real," Shobokshi said.

In the three years he's written his column, Shobokshi has sparked criticism before, but he's never gotten this type of response. He's planning to compile the article and all the e-mails and faxes into a book.

"This is the most courageous article I have ever read," said economist Bishr Bakheet. "In one article, he opened up for discussion so many sensitive issues, women's rights, nationality laws, the press, the government budget."

"The things we've wanted to discuss all along but didn't have the courage to. Finally somebody said it," said Bakheet, who attended three gatherings in the capital Riyadh where Shobokshi's piece was distributed and discussed.

The negative reaction, however, has been scathing. Shobokshi received e-mails hoping he had cancer and calling him a goat, a cow, and an infidel trying to steer the country away from Islam. Letters to the editor complained about the idea of women working as lawyers and mingling with men. "Know your limits or you will be punished by God and by his followers on earth," said one e-mail.

It's a reminder that despite a modest opening up, Saudi Arabia is still one of the world's most conservative Islamic states. An editor whose Saudi newspaper was in the forefront of a campaign against Muslim extremism was removed from his post weeks after the bombings.

"This reaction confirms the fact that our society does not have experience in dealing with different points of view," said Suleiman al-Hattlan, a Saudi research associate at Harvard's Center for Middle Eastern studies. "People in general resist change and feel nervous that the article will change the social structure overnight."

Will someone get this guy with a Fatwa? Or is it the start of a revolution?

Controversial Saudi columnist wants daughter to drive and vote

Thats right...once women can drive in Saudi Arabia...all their problems will disapear....just like that. :rolleyes:

Once again Jane...perhaps you ought to take a look at your own backyard first sweety ;)

Will someone get this guy with a Fatwa? Or is it the start of a revolution?

lol...will someone get this guy with a Fatwa??

Jane...do you even know what a Fatwa is? How bout you enlighten us all...tell me, what is a fatwa?

Cause if your above post is anything to go by....you really wouldn't have a clue what a fatwa is...do you?

Originally posted by Lestat
Thats right...once women can drive in Saudi Arabia...all their problems will disapear....just like that. :rolleyes:

Once again Jane...perhaps you ought to take a look at your own backyard first sweety ;)

yeh that would be the typical muslim response wouldnt it :rolleyes:

how bout, well its a start isnt it. why should women be treated like second class citizens? WHY LESTAT?

getting women up to equal citizens with men will take ages over in the ME but they have to start somewhere dont they.

Surely Shoboshki must have been braiwashed by western infidels to suggest such a sickening proposal that allows women to drive and vote.............. Allah will be rolling in his grave when he hears this news...... which he must, seeing he cant read, which means newspapers are out.

Get him with a thousand fatwas.......or give him a doner kebab similar to the one i had last week, that will shut him down for while.

Outrageous, outrageous.

Originally posted by Lestat

Once again Jane...perhaps you ought to take a look at your own backyard first sweety

Quote from the story:

"Shobokshi received e-mails hoping he had cancer and calling him a goat, a cow, and an infidel trying to steer the country away from Islam." ....

Lestat, please reassure you were not one of the emailers and that they must have been Shi-ites.

Originally posted by Slax
Just because they don't have it doesn't mean they want it.

What you don't know about or have experienced you might not want just because someone else believes you do.

maybe they dont ALL want it but i reckon a few would.

anyway dont you think it would be better that they had the OPTION, they can make their own decisions as to whether they want 2 drive or not. instead of being dictated to by an outdated BOOK.

Originally posted by evade28
maybe they dont ALL want it but i reckon a few would.

anyway dont you think it would be better that they had the OPTION, they can make their own decisions as to whether they want 2 drive or not. instead of being dictated to by an outdated BOOK.

I suggest you go and find a translated copy of THAT book and read it. Believe it or not if you actually read it the laws it puts down are not as strict as many Arab states make them out to be. It is mostly about purity, honesty and tolerance. Very similar to the New Testament in the bible.

Originally posted by evade28
yeh that would be the typical muslim response wouldnt it :rolleyes:

Why would that be the "typical muslim response"?

Lestat is by no means a "typical muslim" and what is a "typical muslim" anyway?

Muslim's are no more subject to a literal translation of their holy text than any other religion - despite what Lestat might claim.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back