Religion The CHEESE WARS! Carringbush2010 hears a who!

On a scale of 1 to Carringbush2010, how deeply are you affected by Cheer's name change?

Votes: 7 50.0%

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Carringbush2010

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s not, it’s sidestepping the argument lol. Black folk would know exactly what some little prick who called them a “Niger” was up to.
I'm not so sure they would, the different i sound and soft g make it quite a different sounding word. Some probably would sure, but I think in a not insignificant percentage you'd just get a confused look or an ask for clarification.

No such confusion with "coon" though, that'd be 100% understanding - which, again (speaking of sidestepping the argument lol), is the point.

I'm not so sure they would, the different i sound and soft g make it quite a different sounding word. Some probably would sure, but I think in a not insignificant percentage you'd just get a confused look or an ask for clarification.

No such confusion with "coon" though, that'd be 100% understanding - which, again (speaking of sidestepping the argument lol), is the point.
I personally think you are downplaying how immediately obvious Niger as a slur would be. More so written than said aloud.

Agree that coon has the same spelling and pronunciation going for it - I am not denying this fact. But we are left with two names of things that can be used as a slur but are explained away with things like:
  • it’s a dude’s name
  • it’s named after a river
  • it’s different spelling
  • it’s different pronunciation
I don’t see them as being very different at all.
Which were war crimes. Dresden and many others.

But my point stands. If names dont mean s**t, why change your surname from 'Hitler' to something else?
Man if my surname was Hitler I’d be changing it asap..

I personally think you are downplaying how immediately obvious Niger as a slur would be. More so written than said aloud.

Agree that coon has the same spelling and pronunciation going for it - I am not denying this fact. But we are left with two names of things that can be used as a slur but are explained away with things like:
  • it’s a dude’s name
I think you're downplaying the fact its a different word with a different pronunciation and spelling. We are left with one that categorically is a slur, and one that could, so you say, potentially be used as a (honestly pretty confusing) slur. Just lol really - I've actually asked Carringbush2010 previously to provide an example of someone being called a Niger from popular media, don't suppose you can find one either?

The fact that not a single example exists of the potentiality you say makes the cases the same should probably tell you something.

I think you're downplaying the fact its a different word with a different pronunciation and spelling. We are left with one that categorically is a slur, and one that could, so you say, potentially be used as a (honestly pretty confusing) slur. Just lol really - I've actually asked Carringbush2010 previously to provide an example of someone being called a Niger from popular media, don't suppose you can find one either?

The fact that not a single example exists of the potentiality you say makes the cases the same should probably tell you something.
Welllll just look up “Niger country” on YouTube and there are videos referencing its connection to the N word (some of them pretty funny). So it’s not some just obscure connection that CB has drawn all by himself. Anyways let’s let it go before Gethelred gives me my own thread.

Welllll just look up “Niger country” on YouTube and there are videos referencing its connection to the N word (some of them pretty funny). So it’s not some just obscure connection that CB has drawn all by himself. Anyways let’s let it go before Gethelred gives me my own thread.
So you can't find any example of it actually being used in the context of a slur, just the giggle/wink wink type stuff we've talked about before? Again, this should probably tell you something.

The algo must be serving you different vids to me, scrolled for a good 30 seconds and not a single video referencing its connection to the N word. All I get is geography, tourism and doco stuff.

The point has always been the connection is more obscure (far, far more I'd argue) than the cheese using the exact same word, which means equivalency isn't there and renders CB's use of it as a comparison flawed.

So you can't find any example of it actually being used in the context of a slur, just the giggle/wink wink type stuff we've talked about before? Again, this should probably tell you something.
I’m not saying that people are routinely called nigh-jers. I’m saying that the connection between the name and the slur is immediately obvious and recognisable. You’ve picked a metric (examples of people being called a nigh-jer) because it suits your argument. I think if someone was calling a black guy on bigfooty a Niger they would be permabanned.
Anyways I’m starting to lose sight of why we should be arguing about this. To decide whether CB had a good analogy?

So it seems, I ask a coupla simple and reasonable questions, and get replies with all sorts of deflections to justify what is seemingly irrational, so I keep replying to get answers

Someone starts a thread, no doubt as bait, with my avatar suggesting it's my thread, mod says 'it's yours coz I don't agree with your questioning'.

Mmm, Pretty sure that's trolling, but hey I have no say, so no one gives a flying.

Meh, knock yourselves out, pointless me being in here, see ya's

• it’s a dude’s name

Man if my surname was Hitler I’d be changing it asap..
Give it up G, rational don't live here.

I commend you putting up, but mate we're on BF, there's no point.

I’m not saying that people are routinely called nigh-jers. I’m saying that the connection between the name and the slur is immediately obvious and recognisable. You’ve picked a metric (examples of people being called a nigh-jer) because it suits your argument. I think if someone was calling a black guy on bigfooty a Niger they would be permabanned.
Not at all - you introduced this angle when you claimed that a person would know exactly what you were saying if you walked up to them and called them that, that you'd get roughly the same response as calling someone coon. I'm simply stating that such a case not actually existing in all of recorded media probably doesn't do that argument any favours.

Anyways I’m starting to lose sight of why we should be arguing about this. To decide whether CB had a good analogy?
There was more about whether the decision to change the name was reasonable or not earlier, but at this point yeah basically. Whether its a reasonable comparison, and whether activists are being inconsistent by not calling for a name change to the country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it seems, I ask a coupla simple and reasonable questions, and get replies with all sorts of deflections to justify what is seemingly irrational, so I keep replying to get answers

Someone starts a thread, no doubt as bait, with my avatar suggesting it's my thread, mod says 'it's yours coz I don't agree with your questioning'.

Mmm, Pretty sure that's trolling, but hey I have no say, so no one gives a flying.

Meh, knock yourselves out, pointless me being in here, see ya's
Speaking of deflection, any danger of acknowledging theres a difference between having an issue with a person's name and a brand name?

Not at all - you introduced this angle when you claimed that a person would know exactly what you were saying if you walked up to them and called them that, that you'd get roughly the same response as calling someone coon.
Well in fairness Chief introduced the “say it to black people and see what they think” as some sort of litmus test. Anyway. I think they would be, you think it’s too far removed. Agree to disagree. Let’s move on.

It’s not, it’s sidestepping the argument lol. Black folk would know exactly what some little prick who called them a “Niger” was up to.
Id yell knee-jer to a friend called niger near a 100 african americans.

How do you reckon you would go with yours with 100 aboriginal folk?

I get the feeling id walk away from it and you might just struggle.

Because they aint the same.

Had to look that one up, the more you know!

Don't worry CB, I'm sure the advocates will be coming out of the woodwork this word also. Any day now :tearsofjoy:

I only learnt of it from crosswords back in the day, too many white squares in a crossword in retrospect, a bit more diversity would have been appreciated, they'll get cancelled next!

The New York phone book had 22 Hitlers listed before World War II ... and none after.

There is one Hitler listed in the current German White pages:

Hitler im Das Telefonbuch >> Jetzt finden!

Mr Romano-Lucas Hitler.

You dont see too many people with the Hitler-moustache anymore either:

Toothbrush moustache - Wikipedia

Ironically Donald Trumps dad is one of the listed notable exceptions.

Here's a dose of related silliness.

But wait... there's more! From the article;

...The Campbells' other two children also have unusual names: Joycelynn Aryan Nation Campbell turns 2 in a few months and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell will be 1 in April...

If this isn't some kind of a a wind-up it's gotta make you wonder what kind of f*ck-skulls are out there breeding right now.

Here's a dose of related silliness.

But wait... there's more! From the article;

If this isn't some kind of a a wind-up it's gotta make you wonder what kind of f*ck-skulls are out there breeding right now.

They're from Jersey and not Mississippi or Georgia or some s**t too.

Back